Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Dannowar

Little Baja Video

Not Kayak related but for some of you that don't realize theres some great variety of fish outside la jolla......

four months straight with a baja trip each. this was all within an hour or two of Cabo San Lucas.

Saludos!

https://youtu.be/xDN45jseoxU
Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #2
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

That was bitchen! Thanks for sharing...

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 AM   #3
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Broom tail grouper on the BBQ so good so good
Old 08-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Not being an avid free/scuba diver, I thought my Oceanic (12 & 16's) fins were long .
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:18 AM   #5
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Very cool....
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Spearfishing pelagics is fine, but I don't see much sport in spearing groupers. Living under the same ledge for decades, a spearfisherman goes down and boom, A half century old fish is dead, instead of leaving it their for future divers to see and fisherman to hook and loose to the ledge.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Spearfishing pelagics is fine, but I don't see much sport in spearing groupers. Living under the same ledge for decades, a spearfisherman goes down and boom, A half century old fish is dead, instead of leaving it their for future divers to see and fisherman to hook and loose to the ledge.
This grouper has never seen a diver in its life. each of us took no more than one, even though we saw MANY and 100 percent of them went to the village fishermen to sell and live off of. Yes i see where you're coming from, but no sport in spearing groupers?! One breath of oxygen, 70 feet deep and a powerful fish bending a metal shaft like it was a toothpick, wedging himself under a ledge isn't sporty? spending 45 minutes trying to slow your heart rate in between dives just to find which hole the grouper swam into isn't sporty? Cmon guy, save your ethical pity party for somewhere else, this fish fed a village, so maybe you're right, it wasn't very sporty.....
Old 08-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Scoot
Scoot

That was BAD A$$!!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Spearfishing pelagics is fine, but I don't see much sport in spearing groupers. Living under the same ledge for decades, a spearfisherman goes down and boom, .

If only it were that easy! What he accomplished at 70 feet is something not many people can do, let alone other spear fisherman!

It takes years of practice and conditioning to make it to 70 feet. Let alone have the lung capacity and conditioning to give you a few seconds of bottom time to locate a fish, line up a shot, then get back to the surface while attached to a large fish that can take you for a ride unless you hit him PERFECTLY and stone him with a kill shot!

That was quite a feet and very "sporting" IMO

but that's just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
momo fish

Nice going Danny!

momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
HobieScot

Little Baja Video

killer video and congrats on a monster fish Danowar!

That's something not a lot of spear fisherman have or would be able to accomplish at that depth

Kudos to you!

Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
Dannowar

Thanks guys!! it was worth the 2 hour drive to la paz, the hour drive to the pacific and the panga surf launch thats for sure
Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
HobieScot

Little Baja Video

Disclaimer - you might pass out trying this so do so at your own risk

For those that haven't tried free diving here is a little trick to give you an idea of what it's like to free dive to 70 feet

At 70 feet you are at 11.6 fathoms or a little over two atmospheres. At each atmosphere the air in your lungs compress.

If you watch the video Danowar starts his decent at 2:10 and it looks like he is already 30 feet down when the video cuts in to the decent. The video ends at the surface at 1:15. So that's 55 seconds underwater. But since he started the video almost half of the way down let's add another 15 seconds so that 70 seconds.

try this, lay down (especially if you smoke) and get comfortable. Now take three slow breaths to the top of your lung capacity. At the end of the last breath see if you can hold it for 70 seconds. I bet half or more of you can. Most people can hold for 60-90 seconds which is normal.

The average adult male has a lung volume of around 6 liters. At two fathoms that same 6 liters of air gets compressed down to less than one liter.

To experience what that is like take a full deap breath in, then let it out till you come to your normal pause right before you would normally start your inhale again. Now breath in again and when you get to the bottom of your breath before you start your normal inhale again stop and hold your breath at that point for 70 seconds.

When you exhale normally you actually still have about 1 liter of air in your lungs unless you use your chest and abdominals to force the last of your breath out.

At 2 fathoms that same 6 liter lung full of air gets compressed to under one liter. So if you can fully exhale all of the air out of your lungs and can then hold your breath for 70 seconds you might have an idea of what it's like to free dive to 70 feet like Danowar did in the video

Last edited by HobieScot; 08-25-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #14
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Spearfishing the most physical hi calorie burning and dangerous sport there is with shallow water black out ever present only fast axe chopping is the only thing that burns more calories and yes years of pool work outs to get to your level enjoyed the video wish I had a broom tail grouper steak to throw on the BBQ
if you want to get into spearfishing I highly recommend you read Terry Maas blue water spearfishing book it might save your life
my diving career started at 14 popping abalone at Clemente island

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-25-2015 at 05:42 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #15
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Talking

Nicely done Danno!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #16
HobieScot

Little Baja Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Spearfishing the most physical hi calorie burning and dangerous sport there is with shallow water black out ever present only fast axe chopping is the only thing that burns more calories and yes years of pool work outs to get to your level enjoyed the video wish I had a broom tail grouper steak to throw on the BBQ
if you want to get into spearfishing I highly recommend you read Terry Maas blue water spearfishing book it might save your life
my diving career started at 14 popping abalone at Clemente island

What Mitchell said is true. I was shocked to learn that it was at the top for calorie burning when I first got into the sport

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440554079.102233.jpg

I second that book and also recommend this one from Terry as well.

Last edited by HobieScot; 08-25-2015 at 06:03 PM.