Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
forefrazier

X-Factor & P15 Trident

Was wondering if there was anyone on this board who have owned or paddled extensively with these two boats? I currently own an X-Factor and am looking to upgrade to something faster. Will I notice a major difference in speed between the X and P15 Trident?

I am 6'-5" 240 so options are probably more limited than some. Looked into Hobie options but they just don't seem to have the capacity for a guy my size. I will demo any suggestions of course before making a decision to get rid of the X but looking for any input from others that might help.

Thanks,
SF
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
aguachico

I went from an Extreme to the Trident. Goto OEX and use the demo. It's the only way to tell. I miss my deck on the extreme, I like getting around alot easier though.

good luck and tight lines.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
Are you looking to buy new? Why don't you come by this week and demo the Trident. We launch our demos right off our dock so you don't have to transport anything. you can compare 2 boats and switch them out within just a couple minutes.

We will be moving almost every model (Malibu, Ocean Kayak, and possibly Tarpon) here to be available for demos soon.
Call the Pt. Loma shop to setup a day
619 758 9531

-OEX Mission Bay 1617 Quivira Rd.

Tommy
Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
JrBasser

I own both the X-Factor and a Trident and I absolutely love the trident. The X-factor is actually my dad's boat because he wants to feel stable and nothing more. The trident however has never had any stability problems for me. While the x-factor may be more stable, its more stability than you really need, and the trident will still have enough stability to put you in your comfort level. The paddling efficiency of the trident is leagues above the x-factor, but the X-factor has better rigging options. Definitely paddle both of them. If you find you do most of your paddling in La Jolla, you'll like the trident better. If you find you spend most of your yaking hours in the bay hoopnetting lobster, well, speed doesnt really matter and you may likie the X-factor more. Definitely schedule a demo and try out both.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
metalbob
King of Constipation

I went from an X factor to a Trident because of the exact same reason. I noticed right off the bat it felt a little tippy, but after a couple of hours on the Kayak i felt right at home, stability is a non issue now and it has plenty of speed, the x factor did have a slower drift though(which i prefer) and it did have a lot more rigging options.I do miss the tankwell and rear hatch space on the X but i can get by with my Tridents tankwell.

im thinking about a rudder for the Trident.

overall im very happy with it, the rod pod is good for storing the rods below during questionable surf landings and is quite handy. and the sonar shield has been helpful for me i a few instances.

good luck!

METALBOB
metalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
SteveK
Junior

SF here's what you need.

Now you'll have more speed than the Trident, more useable room.
Check out Bassyaks.com
Bob, the solar sheild has helped you!!! That thing is a JOKE ,who ever thought that up should be fired!!! How'ed it help you --- it's behind the FF screen

Later
Steve
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
bluesquids

Wondering if you guys have the first generation XFactor with the smooth bottom or the 2nd generation with the ribbed bottom? I myself have noticed a pretty significant difference in performance between the two.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
forefrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
Wondering if you guys have the first generation XFactor with the smooth bottom or the 2nd generation with the ribbed bottom? I myself have noticed a pretty significant difference in performance between the two.
bsquid....I don't have any ribs on the bottom of mine...All smooth with exception the center keel portion. Didn't know there was one with ribs...Any pics?
Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
metalbob
King of Constipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
SF here's what you need.

Now you'll have more speed than the Trident, more useable room.
Check out Bassyaks.com
Bob, the solar sheild has helped you!!! That thing is a JOKE ,who ever thought that up should be fired!!! How'ed it help you --- it's behind the FF screen

Later
Steve
Try spellcheck first?yes the" SOLAR "sheild has helped me,it hides my schlong when i gotta take a wiz and prevents it from getting sunburnedlollollolits an opinion bro...
metalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
dgax65
Guerro Grande

You can see the channels from the inside of the hull in this picture

A little better overview here

and here

I test paddled an old X-Factor with out the channels. The hull feels more rigid with the channels. It also tracks well for a yak of its beam.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 AM   #11
forefrazier

Thanks for posting the pics dgax. I definitely have the first gen with the smooth bottom.