Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
james92026

Heading out tomorrow (Oceanside)

I will be launching from Camp Pendleton South Ramp just South of the Marina around 7 a.m. Not sure where to go, but will try to head North out of the Harbor for maybe 2 miles and probably no more than 1/2 mile off shore. Taking some squid, a few Hammers, Sabiki and bait tube with the intention bottom drifting while throwing the plastics. I dont have electronics so will be winging it and watching bird activity. Somewhere out there I am told are some man made reefs with kelp gaining a stronghold. I really dont know what I am doing, but need to start somewhere and this place is an easy launch and fairly close to home.

any company is certainly welcome and appreciated.

James
cell (619) 300-0310
Light Grey Navigator XF with UP Sports and bill fish decals
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
richard67b

get your self a map of san diego/oceanside offshore this will help you

rj
richard67b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
flying bait
Junior

This information may have come little late, but for future reference, there are two artif. reef right outside of the Oceanside harbor.

Here are the GPS Cord.

Artif. reef #1 33 10.950N 117 25.000W
Artif. reef #2 33 12.580N 117 25.800W

I was just out there today. Got nothing but Mackerels. I think i end up keeping around 50 for bait.

Going out again tomorrow. Wish me better luck.
flying bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
james92026

I do not have a GPS but thanks for thinking of me.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
kobra

A gps is a serious tool to have. It's the only way you will find the scattered rock piles that comprise the artificial reefs. Even during lobster season they will be hard to find unless you get lucky and get close enough to see the lobster trap bouys. Just something to think about.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i was out there today. think i might have seen you. i was in a blue X factor and my buddy in a white hobie. ran into three guys, two in X's and the other in a hobie i think. im sure it had peddles.

anyways. only got one calico from the rock pile in the harbor. it was a legal though so that counts for something.
lowprofile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
james92026

Yeah, I know. Only one of a host of things I need. Just starting to get outfitted. Will look into combo GPS/FF but limited funds yada yada yada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra View Post
A gps is a serious tool to have. It's the only way you will find the scattered rock piles that comprise the artificial reefs. Even during lobster season they will be hard to find unless you get lucky and get close enough to see the lobster trap bouys. Just something to think about.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
james92026

Looked at your coordinates and I think I was nearly there when I flipped. I remember seeing a couple of PB's about 1/4 mile North of where I flipped. I may have been a little further out, but I was headed that direction when I got broadsided and my lack of attention resulted in my "goin for a swim". It was the 2nd set you gave me. NW of the harbor entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying bait View Post
This information may have come little late, but for future reference, there are two artif. reef right outside of the Oceanside harbor.

Here are the GPS Cord.

Artif. reef #1 33 10.950N 117 25.000W
Artif. reef #2 33 12.580N 117 25.800W

I was just out there today. Got nothing but Mackerels. I think i end up keeping around 50 for bait.

Going out again tomorrow. Wish me better luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
lowprofile

what a bummer to flip! you lose anything? guess i didnt see you after all.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 AM   #10
flying bait
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
i was out there today. think i might have seen you. i was in a blue X factor and my buddy in a white hobie. ran into three guys, two in X's and the other in a hobie i think. im sure it had peddles.

anyways. only got one calico from the rock pile in the harbor. it was a legal though so that counts for something.
i think i saw your blue X factor today. Assuming you had it tight-up at the end of the guest slip around 2:30pm. It's hard to miss a kayak with all that fishing gears on board.

By the way, does most night kayaker use some sort anchor light, or running light at night? When I came back into the harbor around 9:00pm, a pair of kayakers caught me off guard. i think they may had either head lamp, or hand held flash light only.

B
flying bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #11
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying bait View Post
i think i saw your blue X factor today. Assuming you had it tight-up at the end of the guest slip around 2:30pm. It's hard to miss a kayak with all that fishing gears on board.

By the way, does most night kayaker use some sort anchor light, or running light at night? When I came back into the harbor around 9:00pm, a pair of kayakers caught me off guard. i think they may had either head lamp, or hand held flash light only.

B
which guest slip? i launched from the condo area of del mar and went in at 2pm.

and yes, most kayakers who dont want to get run over in the mouth of a harbor usually have some sort of running light. its not required though. only a sort of signaling light is required.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #12
james92026

I posted about the flip (Impromptu Ocean Swim) a few days ago. Only things I lost were anchor, gaff, and a little bit of pride. what did not float was tethered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
what a bummer to flip! you lose anything? guess i didnt see you after all.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Tyler S.
Junior

For better reference here are good coordinates for one of the Artificial Reefs off oside..... its 117 ft long and is located between those two sets of numbers.

Tyler S. is offline   Reply With Quote