Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
spicolly

What goodies sit in the Carlsbad Canyon?

I like the LJ canyon subject started by @Kaleb & didn't want hijack his thread. I did some recon Sunday morning and spoke to a beached yakker @CBad who educated me on the kelp off the power plants.

Living in north county, I want to paddle out @CBad, but have wussed out and gone surfing each time. LJ is fun and a more mellow landing, but CBad has less pressure and looks very fishy!!!

I did a google search, in addition to a search on this site, looking for a maps of Carlsbad Canyon...where it starts, etc. No luck. Besides google earth, is anyone able to point me to a marine topo map of CBad?

Thanks!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
mpc

I'm sure there are better high tech options, but you can get PDFs of charts from NOAA:
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/Interacti...log/nrnc.shtml

mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
spicolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpc View Post
I'm sure there are better high tech options, but you can get PDFs of charts from NOAA:
Thanks @mpc!
Old 08-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
fishingfiend

You can get topo details at Navionics site.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

The fleet has been fishing this area on and off since early July.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
surfisher

Honestly, I fish there at least 2-3 times a week and it's ok at best. Even with all the YT around this summer, I've noticed they come and go through this area. It has it's days when the fishing can be good, but a majority of the time it is slow. It definitely gets hammered by it's share of PB'ers (mostly in the afternoon after they come in offshore), and more recently, kayakers. The kind of structure near that kelp is nothing close to LJ, as it's sand bottom all the way out (besides the reef on the inside). Most fishfinder's will show you the contour lines your looking for.

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea of paddling out but just go out with lower expectations and you will have a great day ... and like you have learned, keep an eye on that surf.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
spicolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
You can get topo details at Navionics site.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

The fleet has been fishing this area on and off since early July.
@fishingfiend - thank you - very nice site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Honestly, I fish there at least 2-3 times a week and it's ok at best. Even with all the YT around this summer, I've noticed they come and go through this area. It has it's days when the fishing can be good, but a majority of the time it is slow. It definitely gets hammered by it's share of PB'ers (mostly in the afternoon after they come in offshore), and more recently, kayakers. The kind of structure near that kelp is nothing close to LJ, as it's sand bottom all the way out (besides the reef on the inside). Most fishfinder's will show you the contour lines your looking for.

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea of paddling out but just go out with lower expectations and you will have a great day ... and like you have learned, keep an eye on that surf.
@surfisher thanks for the info. I watched two PB'ers on Sunday zoom between the patties north & south of the power plant. I gotta imagine there is a lot of halibut there - I have caught a number of them drop shotting gulp minnows in the lagoon during tide swings. Thanks again for the info - I will definitely temper expectations and wait for a calm, low wind day. I don't have many opportunities during the week because this job thing gets in the way of fishing, and LJ is a zoo on the weekends during summer.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicolly View Post
@fishingfiend - thank you - very nice site!

@surfisher thanks for the info. I watched two PB'ers on Sunday zoom between the patties north & south of the power plant. I gotta imagine there is a lot of halibut there - I have caught a number of them drop shotting gulp minnows in the lagoon during tide swings. Thanks again for the info - I will definitely temper expectations and wait for a calm, low wind day. I don't have many opportunities during the week because this job thing gets in the way of fishing, and LJ is a zoo on the weekends during summer.
If your looking for halibut, I have seen some nice ones pulled up on the north end of the kelp, also by the artificial reef in front of tamarack jetties. I also need to try army navy kelp, as every time I surf state I see birds working off that kelp line. Tamarack kelp also can have it's day, but what I have noticed is water color plays a huge role in this area for what will bite and what won't. Also lately, it seems like the lagoon has purged itself of all the eel grass and there is a ton of it floating around by the kelp which makes trolling a bitch.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
LawDog

Quote:

You sure do fish this mediocre spot quite a bit.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:26 AM   #9
kareem korn

I know the area really well. I fish it from longboard, sup and kayak. It's not the best fishery and reminds me of lake fishing. You can go a long time between catching. But every now and than you get surprised. the kelp has been healthy and thick for the last five years, but with the hot water for long periods of time it's dying off again. That will probably slow the fishing even more.
As far as the canyon, I don't have much luck there. mostly hit the high spots around it for the occasional rockfish.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #10
spicolly

Quote:
If your looking for halibut, I have seen some nice ones pulled up on the north end of the kelp, also by the artificial reef in front of tamarack jetties. I also need to try army navy kelp, as every time I surf state I see birds working off that kelp line. Tamarack kelp also can have it's day, but what I have noticed is water color plays a huge role in this area for what will bite and what won't. Also lately, it seems like the lagoon has purged itself of all the eel grass and there is a ton of it floating around by the kelp which makes trolling a bitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
I know the area really well. I fish it from longboard, sup and kayak. It's not the best fishery and reminds me of lake fishing. You can go a long time between catching. But every now and than you get surprised. the kelp has been healthy and thick for the last five years, but with the hot water for long periods of time it's dying off again. That will probably slow the fishing even more.
As far as the canyon, I don't have much luck there. mostly hit the high spots around it for the occasional rockfish.
Thanks y'all - this is good info. My expectations are low for fishing. While catching is fun, I really enjoy being on the water. The exercise and solitude in nature on a glassy morning is worth it. If I can paddle out and explore a "new-to-me" area that's less crowded than La Jolla's busy summertime weekend beach crowd, I'm all in. It's still sketchy for me to leave my yak unattended on the beach at LJ after landing while I'm getting my car. Cheers!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #11
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
You sure do fish this mediocre spot quite a bit.
Ha, it's more or less laziness. I hit it after work for a few hours. I'd rather not sit in traffic for LJ.

Spicolly, if you see me out there .... let me know! Olive hobie revo ...
Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #12
spicolly

Quote:
Ha, it's more or less laziness. I hit it after work for a few hours. I'd rather not sit in traffic for LJ.

Spicolly, if you see me out there .... let me know! Olive hobie revo ...
Will do...blue Outback.