Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
buddha

Hobie Kayak Owners: Pros and Cons

I may be in the market for a Hobie this summer and I think these are the popular choices for fishing.

Pro Angler 14
Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback
Hobie Revolution 13

I would guess that many like the stability and ability to stand up as well as the space of the PA's.

Outback is good too and lighter than the PA's but can't stand up.

Revolution is a faster boat but not as much deck space.

What Hobie do you own and are you happy with your kayak or do you wish you bought another kayak?

I guess the best thing would be is to own two kayaks for different applications.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
LawDog

...just saying I've looked at a lot of different yaks over the years. Test ride them. Pick them up, and try to load/unload. And do yourself a favor and check out the native slayer propel also.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Have a PA12. The fully loaded weight isn't too bad. Get good wheels and you are good to go. Have a pick up so loading is no problem. I could see a possible issue if you are car topping it. Not the fastest, but I'm not racing, I'm fishing! No regrets!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
dorado50

I would recommend a Hobie for fishing "the Baja".
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Pro angler 14 all the way! A few guys are switchn over to the PA this year. Its not good for everything...but for 99% of the stuff we do it works perfect. As long as you can move it and transport it of course.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
food4less562

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Pro angler 14 all the way! A few guys are switchn over to the PA this year. Its not good for everything...but for 99% of the stuff we do it works perfect. As long as you can move it and transport it of course.
how are the surf launches in a pa14?
food4less562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I may be in the market for a Hobie this summer and I think these are the popular choices for fishing.

Pro Angler 14
Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback
Hobie Revolution 13

I would guess that many like the stability and ability to stand up as well as the space of the PA's.

What Hobie do you own and are you happy with your kayak or do you wish you bought another kayak?

I guess the best thing would be is to own two kayaks for different applications.
My first kayak was a OK Prowler, no more than a year after buying the OK I purchased a new Outback from OEX-SB. Fast forward four years.......I'll be the proud owner of a 2014 PA 14 in just a few days. Why a PA? Basically, because of what Tony said but I'll have to admit that Tony's numbers are wrong, he said 99% but I believe its more like 99.99%.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:20 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by food4less562 View Post
how are the surf launches in a pa14?

You have to pick your days for surf launches better but for the most part its not a problem once you learn how to do it.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:44 AM   #9
RockyRaab

My first and only 'yak is a PA14. I'm a freshwater angler, so I cannot speak about surf launches, but I can vouch that I had no issues getting it atop my Durango, and I'm 67 years old.

One can say that a Prangler is the Rolls Royce of fishing 'yaks. Like a Roller, is is luxurious, spacious, smooth riding, and very well built. It is also heavy, not the fastest, and expensive.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

PA is just slightly slower than the Revo. Some say it's the same speed. The Revo is a wet ride.... The new seat on the PA is SO comfortable.... Riding First Class. Higher seating and better visibility on what's happening on the water. I can't say that about the Revo.

If you look at the fact that most guys who had a Revo switched over to a PA it should clue you in. With the boat ramp closed. The PA fully loaded dragging back up the beach sucks. We are spoiled with driving on to the beach.

We need to bring a piece of plywood to put on the stairs as a ramp. Going to the water was no issue. Surf launching. Same as the Revo. Thr PA cost is higher, but you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post
My first and only 'yak is a PA14. I'm a freshwater angler, so I cannot speak about surf launches, but I can vouch that I had no issues getting it atop my Durango, and I'm 67 years old.

One can say that a Prangler is the Rolls Royce of fishing 'yaks. Like a Roller, is is luxurious, spacious, smooth riding, and very well built. It is also heavy, not the fastest, and expensive.
Is there any permits required for your yak in Utah?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Go with the PA Jeff. I love mine
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
Raskal311

PA12 Double rainbow all the way. Not too big for a smaller guy like me 5'8" 145lb. But big enough to be dam comfortable. I wanted the PA 14 but that thing was just too big and heavy.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #14
roadx

outback =
stable
decent deck space
nice storage
lighter
better steering
watch out for high surf (but manageable)

PA 12 =
very stable (stand up and pee)
awesome deck space
plenty of storage
heavy (i tend to carry more than i need)
steering sucks
dont even think about going out in large surf.

the only time i have rolled going out is in the 12.
at times for a quick session, i wish i still had my outback but love the 12's comfort for longer sessions
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
Fishwhisperer619

I have absolutely zero negatives to say about my PA 14. or really any hobie for that matter. However I am told that the PA12 does not like to cooperate steering sometimes. Not sure how true that is but something to look into
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #16
RockyRaab

Sandy, like most states, Utah does not require a license/registration for any craft that is wholly human-powered. But put a sail or a trolling motor on it, and you must register it and display the numbers on the craft.

I had a marine patrol check me out one day. The officer said he just KNEW I had to have a motor because I was cruising right along and I wasn't using a paddle. At the time, I think I had the only Hobie in Utah, and he was astounded by the Mirage Drive - and by how silent it was. No ticket, and he left mumbling that he simply HAD to have one of those things.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
YakDout
Brandon

I just switched from a revolution to a PA14. Why I didn't do this sooner, I don't know. I took out my new PA for the first time 2 days ago, and it was my first time on the water with one. It's just as fast as my revolution was, and the steering feels more reponsive as well. A couple features I love are:

Rudder-comes straight down and back up into the boat

Lowrance ready- I had a transducer arm on my revolution, which you would think gets you the best possible reading. No it doesn't. My sonar is working like it should now.

The seat-no comparison to the revolution. Went from uncomfortable, to lazy boy.
So many adjustments, even lumbar.

Stability-I was standing in my PA in 10 minutes.

This is the KING of kayaks. My fishing confidence level went through the roof in the short time I was on the water. I went from catching a couple fish and wanting to come in, to catching squat and wanting to stay out.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #18
momo fish

Only con I can see so far is price. Compared to any other kayak company it prices many out which is confusing given that they could have bigger market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post

Pro Angler 14
Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback
Hobie Revolution 13

As my screen name implies I Fly Fish from my Kayak.
That being said stability is "my" priority. I thought about a PA HOWEVER I'm recovering from a severe blow-out of my L-5 S-1 gap (pinched sciatic nerve). I now have trouble lifting too much weight.
I chose the outback because after showing it to my Orthopedic surgeon he thought it would be a good Low-impact exercise piece of equipment and it would help me be active outside.
I did my fair share of "Lurking" (almost a year) on the pros and cons of the different "Hobies" from the members hers an they have great insight.
The Revos, by most accounts, were a little "tippy", but are the fastest of the bunch but a little limited in room (depending on your size) and plan on getting wet (launching and moderate swells)!
I chose an Outback for extra stability especially when side saddle fish fighting (even though I can't stand up in one) and the more responsive steering (due to the placement and max deflection and surface area of the rudder-I don't know if you can equip a PA with a sailing rudder).
Short of a boat, it has as much storage as I need plus the option of having the PA rectangle center storage installed.
With all the extras and modifications it came down to $$$. I spent almost $3K on my outback! My only regret is that this year just after I buy mine, they come out with a transducer scupper (I have a wet mount and it's iffy at times, especially deep) ! I might buy the new one and keep the other for a spare!
The PA's (especially the 14) are an Excellent platform especially with the new seats , almost as stable as a Johnboat, but heavier than heck when accessorized (from 100-120#'s+).
I also don't care for the easy way to transport (i.e. In the back of a truck with half the boat hanging out on an extender). With the way people drive all you need is a knucklehead tailgating while talking or texting to ruin a $3,500 PA! (I put my outback on a roof mount Thule Slipstream 887XT...rolls on and right off.
If I had a 4X4 truck with a ladder/material rack I might have considered a PA but again the weight is a big consideration "for me".
I've heard they can be wet when launching but with the bow configuration I suppose those that complain are the "hard core" kayakers that go out in just about all weather!
I hope this helps. Just my .02
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #20
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post
Sandy, like most states, Utah does not require a license/registration for any craft that is wholly human-powered. But put a sail or a trolling motor on it, and you must register it and display the numbers on the craft.

I had a marine patrol check me out one day. The officer said he just KNEW I had to have a motor because I was cruising right along and I wasn't using a paddle. At the time, I think I had the only Hobie in Utah, and he was astounded by the Mirage Drive - and by how silent it was. No ticket, and he left mumbling that he simply HAD to have one of those things.
That's freakin funny. Love it!