Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Waterís Edge   East Cape Kayak Fishing

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Waterís Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #21
osoone
Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Where do you put the bait on a kayak to catch fish?
We dont typically bait fish, but you could easily fit the smaller Hobie livewell.
osoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #22
BigLouSD
Junior
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 27
Hobie Mirage Compass

I too own a compass. I had Fastlane put in the rectangular hatch and move the circle hatch up front for the FF battery that I will install later. I also upgraded to a mirage drive 180 with turbo fins. I plan on installing the mesh map pockets as well and am toying with some additional handles. The compass has two molded in carrying handles adjacent to the seat (which by the way sits at a good height, not much more room than a small tackle box/tray under the seat) however its hard to get a good grip as you can't wrap your fingers all the way around it like you can an actual handle. The regular Hobie bait tank would fit fine on the stern or rear deck of the yak. I went ahead and put a folding stadium seat in the back for my daughter to hitch a ride. I've only had it out a couple of times in the South side of the San Diego Bay and it handled great. The yak is basically a hybrid: front end of a Revo, good stability equal to or slightly better than an outback with the help of the PA inspired back end. It slices through wake and chop like a Revo with the stability of an outback and the turning mechanism of the PA on a lighter platform. I like the hull a lot. I have two complaints about the Compass, one major and one minor. The minor complaint is that there are only two molded in rod holders (would have liked two more in the front end to place my pole while re-rigging) this can be fixed with accesorries so it's not that major. The major complaint is the seat. I love that the seat is wider than the Vantage CT, however the lumbar support on the seat is pretty negligible. I will probably have to buy some sort of lumbar support. Aside from that, I love the Compass. I really enjoy the hull design as it is very stable, agile, and light-weight for a Hobie. If you want to keep it barebones, you can stay under 2K, once you start rigging it up it gets just shy of an outback with similar if not better performance. Time will tell. I think Hobie has got a good seller on there hands with this one.
BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #23
aftahour
Senior Member
 
aftahour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: torrance
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by osoone View Post
It is still a little heavy. The weights they give are with no rigging. I believe that is without seat and Mirage drive. I am a pretty big guy and I dont think I would carry this.
Thanks for the info. I got a lifted jeep so wondering about loading it in top. Guess I'll have to add some handles and a yak load assist.
aftahour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #24
BigLouSD
Junior
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftahour View Post
Thanks for the info. I got a lifted jeep so wondering about loading it in top. Guess I'll have to add some handles and a yak load assist.

I have a Yakima rack system on my accord. I have the Yakima boatloader arm extension, which makes lifting it on the car a breeze. If you can get something like that for your Jeep, only lifting half of the kayak at a time makes it much easier.
BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #25
osoone
Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouSD View Post
I too own a compass. I had Fastlane put in the rectangular hatch and move the circle hatch up front for the FF battery that I will install later. I also upgraded to a mirage drive 180 with turbo fins. I plan on installing the mesh map pockets as well and am toying with some additional handles. The compass has two molded in carrying handles adjacent to the seat (which by the way sits at a good height, not much more room than a small tackle box/tray under the seat) however its hard to get a good grip as you can't wrap your fingers all the way around it like you can an actual handle. The regular Hobie bait tank would fit fine on the stern or rear deck of the yak. I went ahead and put a folding stadium seat in the back for my daughter to hitch a ride. I've only had it out a couple of times in the South side of the San Diego Bay and it handled great. The yak is basically a hybrid: front end of a Revo, good stability equal to or slightly better than an outback with the help of the PA inspired back end. It slices through wake and chop like a Revo with the stability of an outback and the turning mechanism of the PA on a lighter platform. I like the hull a lot. I have two complaints about the Compass, one major and one minor. The minor complaint is that there are only two molded in rod holders (would have liked two more in the front end to place my pole while re-rigging) this can be fixed with accesorries so it's not that major. The major complaint is the seat. I love that the seat is wider than the Vantage CT, however the lumbar support on the seat is pretty negligible. I will probably have to buy some sort of lumbar support. Aside from that, I love the Compass. I really enjoy the hull design as it is very stable, agile, and light-weight for a Hobie. If you want to keep it barebones, you can stay under 2K, once you start rigging it up it gets just shy of an outback with similar if not better performance. Time will tell. I think Hobie has got a good seller on there hands with this one.
My son has the same problem with the seat. It is plastic and flexes. My son only goes about 180# so its not a lot weight and shouldn't be flexing like that.
osoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #26
Buddhaa64
Junior
 
Buddhaa64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouSD View Post
I too own a compass. I had Fastlane put in the rectangular hatch and move the circle hatch up front for the FF battery that I will install later. I also upgraded to a mirage drive 180 with turbo fins. I plan on installing the mesh map pockets as well and am toying with some additional handles. The compass has two molded in carrying handles adjacent to the seat (which by the way sits at a good height, not much more room than a small tackle box/tray under the seat) however its hard to get a good grip as you can't wrap your fingers all the way around it like you can an actual handle. The regular Hobie bait tank would fit fine on the stern or rear deck of the yak. I went ahead and put a folding stadium seat in the back for my daughter to hitch a ride. I've only had it out a couple of times in the South side of the San Diego Bay and it handled great. The yak is basically a hybrid: front end of a Revo, good stability equal to or slightly better than an outback with the help of the PA inspired back end. It slices through wake and chop like a Revo with the stability of an outback and the turning mechanism of the PA on a lighter platform. I like the hull a lot. I have two complaints about the Compass, one major and one minor. The minor complaint is that there are only two molded in rod holders (would have liked two more in the front end to place my pole while re-rigging) this can be fixed with accesorries so it's not that major. The major complaint is the seat. I love that the seat is wider than the Vantage CT, however the lumbar support on the seat is pretty negligible. I will probably have to buy some sort of lumbar support. Aside from that, I love the Compass. I really enjoy the hull design as it is very stable, agile, and light-weight for a Hobie. If you want to keep it barebones, you can stay under 2K, once you start rigging it up it gets just shy of an outback with similar if not better performance. Time will tell. I think Hobie has got a good seller on there hands with this one.
Great review!
Buddhaa64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #27
monstahfish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 310
Make sure you have tightened the strap for the lumbar and corners. They are not shipped tight. It can make a big difference.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #28
BigLouSD
Junior
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
Make sure you have tightened the strap for the lumbar and corners. They are not shipped tight. It can make a big difference.


Iíve tightened the lumbar strap as far as I can, Iíd hate to feel my back if I relaxed the strap at all. Iíll have to check the corner straps to see if that makes any difference. With that said, the radial dial for lumbar support on the CT vantage or P.A. Seat would have been a welcome addition to the compass seat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #29
ProfessorLongArms
Senior Member
 
ProfessorLongArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Highland Park, CA
Posts: 140
CT upgrade?

Can you upgrade to a vantage CT seat on a compass?

Based on my storage needs, Iím thinking I might end up getting a compass with a CT seat and a rectangular hatch like youíve done.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #30
Iceman
Senior Member
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 1-2 miles off the point
Posts: 6,535
Upgrading to the CT would not really be an option as it utilizes different mounting points......and it costs over $400
__________________
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #31
Buddhaa64
Junior
 
Buddhaa64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 24
Bumping to see if anyone has had any other first hand experience with the Compass. Tried the Compass, Revo 13, and Outaback briefly. Torn between the Revo 13 and Compass, but leaning towards the Compass. Any positive input is appreciated. Thanks.
Buddhaa64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.