Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Fishwhisperer619

Lake Mead help

I'm going to lake mead the weekend of the 23rd of march on a house boat with some friends. I highly doubt anyone is gonna fish but I plan to haha so what I'm asking is if we come across a boil, what do you guys suggest I bring to throw? I only plan on having 2-3 topwater lures. If i catch fish I catch fish, if I don't then oh well. Thanks for the help guys
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
BigTunaL

Lake Mead help

I used to live in Vegas when
I was going to UNLV. I used to go to lake mead a lot and fished striped bass. I used to throw a net and catch bait on shore (shad) and also did well on small buck head jigs. Good luck on tour trip.

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTunaL View Post
I used to live in Vegas when
I was going to UNLV. I used to go to lake mead a lot and fished striped bass. I used to throw a net and catch bait on shore (shad) and also did well on small buck head jigs. Good luck on tour trip.
Thanks for the info BigTunaL. I'm probably gonna have to stick to artificials since the others on the boat with me arent fishing. I have a few bucktails but I was kinda thinking about a popper as well or a big hammer lead head if they are deeper. But I've never been there before, or even caught a striper for that matter so I appreciate the info
Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
battleborn

You will have a blast there. The two major players are the stripped bass and the green ones. you can catch school size strippers all day fishing with the swim baits. You will prob have most success in the grey light. They will push shad up and you will see boils go off. The bigger units will be holding deep and yes brother there are 20+ lb fish in there. Mohave below has 40+ lbers. Most house boaters will be anchored in a cove some where so you should be set with that. Night time is when it gets fun. If you have a submersible light drop that over the edge. Chum with chovies and chunk bait or throw the usually suspects: plastics, rap alas, krocs. Right now for some reason the gizzard shad are getting huge and they are jumping all over I think it was spawning behavior. I did nt see any strippers chasing them. They used to stock trout and the AC types would kill them. That has stopped so I can't say if throwing the big wood would be any good. I have caught plenty on 5 inch rainbow artifishables. Good luck. If you can bring your yak do it plenty of coves to fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1843.jpg (43.3 KB, 205 views)
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn View Post
You will have a blast there. The two major players are the stripped bass and the green ones. you can catch school size strippers all day fishing with the swim baits. You will prob have most success in the grey light. They will push shad up and you will see boils go off. The bigger units will be holding deep and yes brother there are 20+ lb fish in there. Mohave below has 40+ lbers. Most house boaters will be anchored in a cove some where so you should be set with that. Night time is when it gets fun. If you have a submersible light drop that over the edge. Chum with chovies and chunk bait or throw the usually suspects: plastics, rap alas, krocs. Right now for some reason the gizzard shad are getting huge and they are jumping all over I think it was spawning behavior. I did nt see any strippers chasing them. They used to stock trout and the AC types would kill them. That has stopped so I can't say if throwing the big wood would be any good. I have caught plenty on 5 inch rainbow artifishables. Good luck. If you can bring your yak do it plenty of coves to fish.
Thanks battleborn, I'm dying to take the yak but I doubt ill be able to. I suppose I could just tie it off to the boat when I'm not using it
Old 03-16-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Fishwhisperer619

Made an executive decision and I'm takig the yak! There's no way I'm gonna go out there and miss a chance on catching my first striper on my yak. So I have the kroc spoons in various sizes, some poppers, lead heads, and I'm gonna bring some chovies ad well. How should I rig up the chovies?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Big T
Member, You Member!

So... is all this talk about strippers because the lake is so close to Vegas?? And what's a school sized stripper?? Under 18?
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
So... is all this talk about strippers because the lake is so close to Vegas?? And what's a school sized stripper?? Under 18?
Lol I think the strippers I'm looking for are better with size. More bounce to the ounce
Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post

Ya they are all over the place and in NV school sized is 16!

excuse me spelling…after all one of the best quotes : it aint a spelling B its a fishing B. sorry don't know who said it but it was a good one.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer619 View Post
Made an executive decision and I'm takig the yak! There's no way I'm gonna go out there and miss a chance on catching my first striper on my yak. So I have the kroc spoons in various sizes, some poppers, lead heads, and I'm gonna bring some chovies ad well. How should I rig up the chovies?

Check out the gov wash area if you are on the west side. Echo if on the east. Double check with NDOW about an invasive species sticker. See if you will need one? There was a big move to have yaks start getting them. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 AM   #11
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn View Post
Check out the gov wash area if you are on the west side. Echo if on the east. Double check with NDOW about an invasive species sticker. See if you will need one? There was a big move to have yaks start getting them. Good luck.
I believe the area we are getting the houseboat from is calville bay so depending on where they wanna go is what is going to give me my 1 mile radius locations. Maybe I could persuade them on where to anchor down. And yes, kayaks now need an AIS sticker. I believe its $10
Old 03-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'll never forget the first time I cast a 10" trout lure into a striper boil at Lake Skinner. I got slammed hard, the fish got airborn, and just as fast as it hit, it was gone. There went a nice fish and my $20 lure. It was the first time I used Spiderwire braid and my knot came undone. This happened over 10 years ago and I'm still mad about it

I've never fished Mead but if it's similar to Skinner then you should be on the lookout for the surface boils and get to them ASAP. They usually happen around sunset and quickly move from spot to spot.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I'll never forget the first time I cast a 10" trout lure into a striper boil at Lake Skinner. I got slammed hard, the fish got airborn, and just as fast as it hit, it was gone. There went a nice fish and my $20 lure. It was the first time I used Spiderwire braid and my knot came undone. This happened over 10 years ago and I'm still mad about it

I've never fished Mead but if it's similar to Skinner then you should be on the lookout for the surface boils and get to them ASAP. They usually happen around sunset and quickly move from spot to spot.
Yea I've been told that being able to move quickly is key, I'm pretty much stuck to the vicinity of the houseboat so hopefully the stripers come to me haha
Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I've never fished Mead, but I remember being on the Dam Tour at Hoover Dam last year, then looking down at the intakes and seeing giant schools of some BIG (we're talking 3-4 feet in length) Stripers boiling on the surface.

They were doing this when I got there, they were doing this when I left.

The whole time, I was wishing for one of those collapsible travel rods, a kite string, some paracord, a soda tab, a rock, a sharp stick, ANYTHING. They looked like they would bite anything.

I don't know how close you're allowed to get to the Dam, but I would say that's where the fish hang out.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
I've never fished Mead, but I remember being on the Dam Tour at Hoover Dam last year, then looking down at the intakes and seeing giant schools of some BIG (we're talking 3-4 feet in length) Stripers boiling on the surface.

They were doing this when I got there, they were doing this when I left.

The whole time, I was wishing for one of those collapsible travel rods, a kite string, some paracord, a soda tab, a rock, a sharp stick, ANYTHING. They looked like they would bite anything.

I don't know how close you're allowed to get to the Dam, but I would say that's where the fish hang out.
I'm pretty sure I have to stay a certain distance away from the dam, idk exactky how far though. I hope the are big and hungry like that all over the lake haha
Old 03-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer619 View Post
I believe the area we are getting the houseboat from is calville bay so depending on where they wanna go is what is going to give me my 1 mile radius locations. Maybe I could persuade them on where to anchor down. And yes, kayaks now need an AIS sticker. I believe its $10
Call NV wildlife management to get you sticker. Was $8 last year and they will mail it to you. Have fun!

Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #17
Fishwhisperer619

So without saying too much..... I had a blast! The houseboat was awesome, water was crystal clear, ate s#$t trying to waterski, and caught a few fish too. I had gopro footage but after reviewing them, I deem them improper for posting haha. You would just think that we are all alcoholic college students who's only mission that weekend was alcohol poisoning.
Now for the fishing half, I honestly spent very little time fishing but when I did fish, I did fairly well. First fish was a catfish on a lil piece of my hamburger meat that fell in the sand, pretty close to 4#. Second fish was a carp on a piece of bread. This one I saw about 15' down and dropped it right in front of his face and wham! Ended up being about 3#. Next fish was a very small smallmouth on a kroc spoon trolling over some underwater rock formations. Not even a #. The next fish was a much nicer smally on a evening popper. Very slow twitches in about 5' of water parallel to shore. It was about 2.5# and my first legal smally so I was pumped. The 5th and last fish came on the same popper about 5' of water next to some submerged trees. Same technique of very very slow twitches. About 2# largemouth.
So my first and second day was strictly deepwater striper fishing that resulted in ZERO fish (wouldve helped if my elite 4 hdi came in already). But as stated before, on the third day, I pulled in 5 fish between the hours of 4pm and 6pm. All fish were caught in swallow cove (giggity). Ill put up the few fish pics I have when I get them, some I know were too dark to see. Cant wait to go back again
Old 03-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #18
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

So no stripers? What about strippers then?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #19
Fishwhisperer619

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
So no stripers? What about strippers then?
The house boat had plenty of them at heart haha some good some not so much
Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #20
AirborneYak

You should post said footage... For science.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote