Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
Superduper
Junior

Beautiful Day on the water in LJ

Wow, is summer here? Lunched 6:15 am to small surf and big swells all the way out to bait grounds. Don't want to mention the rouge wave that nailed me on the way out... nothing like starting the day out WET!!! Made nice Greenback Macs in minutes. Headed out around the corner, one pinned down deep and the other fly lined. It's been a year or so since I fished La Jolla so the kelp was hard for me to make out and I was not sure if it was massive bait or kelp most the time. I found out it was both. Man there was a lot of bait. Birds crashing everywhere most of the time. Threw iron for 2 large greenbacks. No mas. cruised out to the PB's and saw they were bouncing off bottom for rock fish. I headed further out and decided to stop for a moment to take it all in. "WOW" this is a beautiful day. Pods of Dolphins passing by... Sea Lions splashing around with the Dolphins. Darn Dogs - probably chasing Yellow Tails that id like to hook up... Knowing the bite wasn't happening I chose to just chill and take it all in. Man it's a privilege to be fishing in La Jolla. I tell you what, we do have a great place here with an abundance of life everywhere. I didn't even get a bite today but I did get a whole lotta pleasure being on the water. It doesn't get any better than this... Wind did pick up around 11am so I headed in through some nice chop. As I was heading past the buoys I looked around and wished I was with my son. He would have enjoyed this day on the water. Perhaps one day he will join me for an adventure in La Jolla. He's only 9 and doesn't like the open waters. Eventually I will get him out here so he too can see through his own eyes what we all have to enjoy. Today was a scratch on the fish count but a good mark for being on the water. Perhaps the YT's will show up soon...
Superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
buddha

Great post. Fishing is much more than just catching fish. The environment that we experience by being on the water is a great reward by itself. Combine that with our great weather most of the year and it makes me happy that I don't live in the NY area anymore with all that snow.

I have found many times that even if birds are working the surface that many times the fish are actually deeper.

Nice to see someone appreciate what it is all about.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Raskal311

Wasn't any different yesterday other then semi high waves on the way out. Myself and a few other kayakers stood around for 30min before deciding to go for it. My newbie friend ate it twice and only made it out with some assistant from a nice gentalmen watching from his condo. A lot of bait everywhere I was pulling up 5-6 green backs at a time but after 12 or so miles of dragging a green back around the fly line I headed in. At least it was an easy entry.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
FISH11

Smile

It's a bit choppy because of the wind. The sun clearing out the early morning overcast is nice. I couldn't agree more we have a beautiful paradise in our own backyard. I always enjoy any trip at La Jolla even when the weather isn't the best. There is no place that relaxes me more than fishing La Jolla in my Kayak even when the game fish aren't co-operating. On some trips after a while if there's no bite, than I'll go for some rock fish for tacos. The best time is just enjoying the whole experience of La Jolla.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Yeah, beautiful day out there. Lots of macks swimming everywhere, but no love from any large predators. I happened upon a few bait boils, where there were birds and sea lions crashing all around. Threw my Iron over without any interest.

Then the wind and swell kicked up a few notches.

I remember being in a few troughs and not seeing horizon in any direction.

At one point I stopped to re-tie a knot, and when I looked up, the current/wind had blown me all the way around the point where I couldn't even see the resort anymore.

At that time I decided I should come in before I have to fight even bigger winds/swells or be blown all the way down to Mission Beach!

I was using the "Come In Backwards" technique, since there wasn't a break in the surf at all and some of these were overhead breaks! Unfortunately it didn't work very well. It was going great until I caught a wave on the nose, and instead of punching through, I somehow ended up surfing it with the yak pointed backwards and coming in at 15-20 mph backwards!

I remember the look on one of those tour guide dudes standing in the surf as I backwards-surfed past him.

I managed to keep it straight even though I couldn't paddle through the wave. It was almost all-good as the wave flattened out, until my rear keel caught the sand and my entire yak pirouetted around and dumped me in front of all the pretty girls in bikinis in about 1' of water.

I didn't lose anything, but my rod tip broke. I guess it caught the sand when the yak spun around. Next time I'll probably stow all my gear if the incoming surf is that big.

Last edited by addicted2sp33d; 03-29-2014 at 06:59 PM.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

haha I came in backwards last week, I thought I did something special. I was scared to come in forward and turned around to go back out to retry and a wave caught me and pushed me in backwards. I was the coolest guy on the beach for a few seconds in my mind. I think ill come back in the same way I went out from now on. I usually jump out after the first break.
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Raskal311

Speaking of looking cool and pretty girls in bikinis I forgo to re do my truck strap and as I was jumping out in waist deep water my pants came off in front of over a dozen tourist That just came in from a kayak tour. Couldn't pull my trucks up either because I was afraid to let go of the PA.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 AM   #8
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Nice day on the water. Did not meeter any big fish from the condo to red tiles. Water was 63! Looked fishy but no joy. Cattle boats did not stay long in any one spot. I take that as a sign of no fish as well. Was that you Superduper, I talked to on the beach?

Steve
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Superduper
Junior

Yea its me. It was a great day on the water and I felt compelled to share it. Good to see a fellow kayaker have a smile on his face too. Although no fish were on my kayak, I always get an adventure out there. See you on the water. oh and don't forget the tip I learned about pulling up squid when they are in town
Superduper is offline   Reply With Quote