Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Capo Beach, 8-21-15

Landwhale and I launched from the ramp at 5:20 and headed for Capo Beach. It was dark with lots of boats milling about the ramp and bait barge. Once outside the jetty we cut in towards shore to keep away from said boats. Made into the area about 5:45 and started working misc. rock piles. Wind was calmish, but lots of chop was going on.

I started my pick with a micro calico. Once daylight hit I found a nice section of scattered high spots and pulled a decent legal calico and then a couple of sandies. Kept working south staying in the 20' range for 2 more. Eventually met up with Steve again (he was in tighter) and since the wind had really kicked up we decided to head back for Doheny and get out of the chop. Weather report had called for a 5mph South wind all morning. But, what we got was a really light south wind for about an hour and then white caps and annoyance there after. We stopped at the scattered pile and I picked off 3 more. We hit a couple more high spots on the way to Doheny which yielded missed bites for me and fish for Steve. Finally, we hit the outside boiler at Doheny. I missed a nicer one there. By this point both Steve and I had business to attended to at the ramp and called it an early morning at about 9:00.

I really only fished 2 colors this morning. A 4" Bad Shad Paddlerz on a 3/8oz silver Warbait head and a 5" Sexy Mullet on the same head. I also fished Red Bone Paddlerz and a 4" Red Fish Flurry. But, these were on 1/2oz Warbait heads and there was way too much loose weed on the bottom to make them worth the effort. Though both did get bit. Reapplying the Hot Sauce made a difference today too as the fish had a tendency to short bite.

So, while it was a short day, it was productive at least. Fun to fish with Steve as always and I look forward to wherever we decide to hit next week.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
octico

Thanks for the report Ed! Glad to see you out on the water again.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
Amish Ed

You're welcome. Have you been getting out?
Old 08-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
landwhale

For me the Paddlez in Bad Shad with Uni Butter was the bait of choice by the fish also threw the New Penny and Redbone. Stopped on a rock pile early for a legal size Halibut worked the 10 foot area for an hour for one bite so headed out into the 15 to 20 ft depth with Ed. Ended up adding 1 legal and three short Calico and a Bonito. Great fishing with Ed in the washing machine conditions.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
kayakfisherman

Love reading reports on Capo Beach fishing!! Glad to
hear you guys had a blast with calicos and halibut.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
Amish Ed

We had fun, but Steve nailed it. Washing machine, full speed. I was nervous sitting side saddle. When we hit the pipe a couple of weeks ago it was the same way, but it was from boat wakes. We'll try again when the weather is better. You should join us some time.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
DanaPT

Winds have not been as advertised.

Even the direction of wind has been off... but as you see fishing pretty good. Go get some!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
C.W.C.
Salt

Nice, thanks for the report! As mentioned & stated above, the wind forecasts last two weeks really have been greatly under estimated..
PS- Check out the brand new "Calico Candy" colorway..Its doin' some serious C&R damage..
Old 08-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #9
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Winds have not been as advertised.

Even the direction of wind has been off... but as you see fishing pretty good. Go get some!
Yep, what should've been an easy paddle back with a south wind ended up being a pain with the wind in our faces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W.C. View Post
Nice, thanks for the report! As mentioned & stated above, the wind forecasts last two weeks really have been greatly under estimated..
PS- Check out the brand new "Calico Candy" colorway..Its doin' some serious C&R damage..
Thanks, wade. I'll check that out.