Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
warrior

bait tank drag

Is the drag really that noticeable when you throw the pump over from your bait tank? I need to break down and get my tank, but I'm still deciding between a Hobie or just making one. When I bought my outback it came with one of the dog kittle food containers already mounted with rod holders, so my cost would be less that at least.

Thanks,
With a prayer in my mouth I dashed unarmed through a line of soldiers my clothes were cut to pieces my horse was wounded but I was not hurt, as I reached the door of my lodge my wife handed me my rifle saying "here's your gun...fight"

The great Chief Joseph
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Dirty Curti

We did the bucket for my son and he had no problem with the drag but keeping the pump in the water and not skirting the top is proving to be a challenge.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

you tend to use your right arm more when its in the water...
Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
taggermike

I used the over the side pump for years and was never bothered by the drag. You do need to set the hose length so the pump can stay in the water when your moving. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
MrM

Want to borrow mine and try it out? We live two streets away from each other if I remember right. Say the word and I'll charge up the battery for you.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
bubblehide

I never throw my pump over the side, it's always in the hull.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
jorluivil

Before I had my Hobie I had a OK Prowler Big Game with the pump hanging over the side, never really noticed any drag. I'm sure there was some drag but it wasn't enough to make me think twice about moving the pump.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

All this talk about drag makes me want to say "Haaaaaaaaaaaaaay"

Speaking of which, whatever happened to HTBO?
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
fsuindustries

I have a OS Scrambler and it's a little noticeable but nothing major. When your in open water you will not even know its there!
fsuindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
echo1er

it didn't drag when I had the over side pump. But going through the kelp was my big thing.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Is the drag really that noticeable when you throw the pump over from your bait tank? I need to break down and get my tank, but I'm still deciding between a Hobie or just making one. When I bought my outback it came with one of the dog kittle food containers already mounted with rod holders, so my cost would be less that at least.

Thanks,
Ive been peddling and using a Hobie Livewell (scupper pickup) for ther past several months. I took my old bait tank (over the side) out with me today. The drag is very evident, especially when moving faster than cruzing speed. I never noticed any drag when I used to paddle. Just spoiled now I guess.

I have a hard time remembering to set the pump back in the water after I exit the kelp. Picking kelp, eel grass, and trash bags off the pump sucks too. Also becomes another thing for your line to get wrapped around.

Have you ever used a hobie livewell? I like the size but there are way too many things inside that can beat up your bait. I say build you own scupper pickup tank for 1/3 of the price.

Last edited by CheapPelican; 08-18-2012 at 08:48 PM.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
ericko

I would just make it you have the expensive part and if you decide to get a hobie livewell sell the one you made.... plus santa is on his way in a few months..
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Want to borrow mine and try it out? We live two streets away from each other if I remember right. Say the word and I'll charge up the battery for you.
Thanks so much for the offer, I sent a PM
With a prayer in my mouth I dashed unarmed through a line of soldiers my clothes were cut to pieces my horse was wounded but I was not hurt, as I reached the door of my lodge my wife handed me my rifle saying "here's your gun...fight"

The great Chief Joseph
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
Poxy Boggards

I have an over the side home made bait tank, and I do not notice any issues with drag in the water. I had a guy warn me off of the hobie live wells. He stated that there is no way to unblock the pump if a pice of kelp or trash gets caught in the intake. He had modified his hobie well to a hang over the side. I have never used a hobe tank, so can't really speak to how well the work, but I am pleased with how well my home made tank works.
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote