Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Braid Education 101

I have never fished with braid before and after doing some reasearch on the matter I would like to try it out. I bought the new Daiwa Seagate for this; which bring me to my dilemma....Do I use 40 or 50#? This reel will be attached to a Calstar 800M wich will be for YT and WSB.

I want to use a 40# floro leader...is this overkill? Should I go with a mono leader instead? And I guess the most important question is: Which knot is best to tie leader to braid? Uni to Uni, Reverse Albright, or the Yucatan (simpler visually for me) but never used any of them.

Thanks,
Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0611[1].jpg (39.1 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0607[1].jpg (36.5 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0608[1].jpg (31.2 KB, 418 views)
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

I just got a 30, I took the free BPS spool of mono for now, I think 50# braid and a 30/40# top shot of flouro will be nice as I have this combo on a Saltist 20, same as the Sea gate, great set up for everything from bass to butts...
Old 01-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Fiskadoro

Your Seagate will hold something like 600+ Yards of 50# spectra.

You either want to back it with mono then run spectra and a topshot, or kick it up to 65# spectra. Since your not familiar with spectra I'd suggest 300 yards 65# spectra with a 40# fluoro topshot, with enough mono under the spectra as backing to get the reel full.

300yds won't cost that much and 65# is easier to fish if your not used to spectra.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
300yds won't cost that much and 65# is easier to fish if your not used to spectra.

Jim
Jim,

could you explain why it would be 'easier' to fish?

Might as well go big with th 65#
Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
mtnbykr2

spectra is wonderful until a backlash...65# easier to untangle...
Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
tagyak

i have 65# spectra on my reels. the story that was told to me was it is easier to cast with less back lash. also it is very comforting to know that it will take alot of fish to bust my line.
i use a modified albright to attach my fluorocarbon leader. wrap it 12x down and 12x up. my local tackle shop told me to apply wax, (bees or lip balm) it will allow for the line to pull tightly easily.
how do you like that reel?
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
Jim,

could you explain why it would be 'easier' to fish?

Might as well go big with th 65#
It's a thicker diameter so it feels more like normal line, easier to tie and it is easier to untangle.

Jim
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Quote:
It's a thicker diameter so it feels more like normal line, easier to tie and it is easier to untangle.

Jim
Old 01-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
i have 65# spectra on my reels. the story that was told to me was it is easier to cast with less back lash. also it is very comforting to know that it will take alot of fish to bust my line.
i use a modified albright to attach my fluorocarbon leader. wrap it 12x down and 12x up. my local tackle shop told me to apply wax, (bees or lip balm) it will allow for the line to pull tightly easily.
how do you like that reel?
I will try the albright with the wax. I wonder if the yucatan knot is just as good? Thank's for the tip!

I love the reels functionality. It's just like my SHA 40; except it accepts braid, it's quieter (no clicking on the turn), and it's $60 cheapter than the Saltist Black Gold that I was going to get (the only differeance of 1 more CRBB).
Old 01-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
jorluivil

Ever single fish that I've caught was landed on 50# or 65# braid with a top shop of 30# mono or 30# floro.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
GregAndrew

65# braid is better for direct connections to Mono/Fluro cause the smaller diameter braids will more easily cut into the leader.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
catchnfish

use a weak knot on your weights
catchnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
mike m
Junior

I have had good luck with uniknots with braid. You can connect it to your leader using a uni to uni connection , Not as elegant as using hollow ace, but it works. I have never experienced a failure at the connection using the uni to uni.
mike m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Ever single fish that I've caught was landed on 50# or 65# braid with a top shop of 30# mono or 30# floro.
I actually fish mostly 20# and 30# braid. 20# is fantastic for halibut because it's so thin you can actually use far less weight and still stay on the bottom. I've caught more fish including yellows on 20# power pro with 15# and 20# fluro topshots, then with any other spectra combination.

For splicing to the topshot I use a Tony Pena knot. Easy to tie and works great and I've never had any problems with the spectra cutting into the leader or topshot.

I mean it's not all I use. I've got rigs with 130# and 200# spectra on them, and I once got a 90# Yellowfin on 65# spectra with a 50# fluoro topshot. That said locally I mostly fish 40# and under, and unless there's big fish around I'm usually fishing 20# and 30# spectra.

Jim
Old 01-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchnfish View Post
use a weak knot on your weights
I don't know any.....
Old 01-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
IB Fish"N"

I use 65lb braid with a 25 to 30lb floro leader. It is also a must for the kelp runners.
IB Fish"N" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
RK

65 lb green spectra........
it gets expensive so maybe running that mono backing isnt a bad call on the wallet. you dont need much line from a kayak to get the job done.

65 pound to either 30 pound fluoro or 40 depending on what time of the year, vis, target species and depth fishing. On really clear days even 20 or 25.

I really like the seaguar premier as I think it has a teeny tiny bit of stretch.

If your fishing a lot your gonna burn through that shit like its going out of style and its really expensive after a while, so shop around cause at shops like charkbait that occasionally has the original on sale and with you 10% bwe discount it saves you a couple bucks it all adds up.

I also like using those really small but strong swivels as my connection, the 75-100lb black ones.

big fish with teeth can still chew straight through the 40 pound so depending on what your targeting, time of day etc maybe even bumping up to a heavier fluoro isnt a bad call.

Fish on mono are fun but in structured areas keep you on eggshells the whole time, fish on spectra dont stand much of a chance..... But with the spectras zero stretch you need a softer tipped rod to absord headshakes etc.

I picked up one of those seagates too, I still think im digging the saltists though.

Disclaimer:
I dont catch fish I dont know shit but i hope this helps.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
Billy V

Quote:
For splicing to the topshot I use a Tony Pena knot. Easy to tie and works great and I've never had any problems with the spectra cutting into the leader or topshot.
Thats a great knot, and I use it on most of my connections Spectra to Fluro.

Sometimes I use a twisted leader knot to do the same connection while fishing in the dark - it looks like a mess while your tying it, but once you cinch it down it cleans up and is very strong.
------------------------------
Old 01-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Update: I spooled my reel with 300yrds of 65# spectra, with 200 yrds of 85# Dracon backing.

I tried the tony pena knot with 20# mono, but couldn't keep the connection. The mono kept sliping out of the braid. So after a few more assiduous attempts, I gave up and tried the modified albriet.

I must say, it's easier for my meat skinners to tie. It's just a couple of loops.....Just to test my connection, I tied the spectra end to my fish scale with a San Diego jam knot and then pulled on the mono end with a glove. (I know, not very scientific, but a heuristic one). And let's just say that the line snaped before my jam knot and the albriet (wich is more of a concern of course) at 27lbs -/+ .5oz.

I would like to see how my 30 and 40# floro do....
Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Coastalobsession
Junior

Go with 50lb test and a 40lb shock leader. I use FINS braid and have found it to be one of if not the best braid on the market. IMO thier customer service also rocks!
Coastalobsession is offline   Reply With Quote