Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
toadstoadsonly

First MPLA now this! $1000 fine for casting on La Beaches.

WTF are you serious between Memorial Day and Labor day first they shut down some of our prime costal spots now we cannot even surf fish? Whats next?

LOS ANGELES (KTLA) -- The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors agreed to raise fines up to $1,000 for throwing a football or Frisbee on any beach in the county.

A 37-page ordinance passed on Tuesday clarifies which beach activities are permissible and when.

The updated rules prohibit "any person to cast, toss, throw, kick or roll" anything other than a beach ball or volleyball during peak beach season -- between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

There are some exceptions for ball-throwing in pre-designated areas or when a person obtains a permit.

Additionally, playing water polo is allowed in the ocean.

The rules for ball-playing will be relaxed during the winter beach "off-season."

Officials say the rules are intended to prevent injuries to bystanders on busy summer days.

Another rule toward that end prohibits digging a hole deeper than 18 inches.

Exceptions can be granted for film and TV productions.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,7871580.story
toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Permit = $$$$$ You have to pay to play, just like everything else.

On another note: Looks like my football games will be played with the ubiquitous "volleyball."
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
rogersmith

I read that article and felt sick. I moved to SoCal from NJ, where fun had officially been outlawed on the beaches for years. I kid you not, there is a beach where there is no radios, no fishing, NO FOOD! allowed. The idea is to leave the beaches only for townies and have no outsiders visit. The stuff I read about today in LA is fascist lunacy.
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

I am sure that NJ has their fair share of crackpot enviros and corrupt politicians, and plenty of $$$ to make those rules and regulations, but this is Southern Calicorruption, they invented, "screwing the public" here out of every last penny, and every last "right" that ever may have existed...
This does not surprise me in the least...nor does cause me to loose anymore faith in the "elected officials" or the politicos that run this circus here, because all of that went down the toilet many years ago...
"No ball or frisbees on the beach" because some over paid under worked home owner got injured or embarrassed, for not paying attention to a football game going on or a kids sandcastle with a mote in the sand and falling in...although I suppose it could be a danger, but it sure is hestrical to watch or see on Americas FUNNIEST videos...
Rant complete...
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
lterrero
Leo

Now this days is a NO NO for every thing, and all I can say is; how Free can America will be
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

IF I go to an LA beach this summer with my kids,

We will dig a big arse hole in the sand. I will put pointy sticks and birds' feathers into the towers of our castle and play whatever traditional games we always play.

If someone wants to come and measure the depth of my "hole" , come on by!

We pride ourselves on having the "freedom" country, Bull Crap!

Come measure my sand "Hole" dumbfrock!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
IF I go to an LA beach this summer with my kids,

We will dig a big arse hole in the sand. I will put pointy sticks and birds' feathers into the towers of our castle and play whatever traditional games we always play.

If someone wants to come and measure the depth of my "hole" , come on by!

We pride ourselves on having the "freedom" country, Bull Crap!

Come measure my sand "Hole" dumbfrock!
Easy there komrade! The KGB monitors this network.....becareful of what you wish for.....comrade Commissar will destroy your sand castle and send you to the re-education camp!

Make sure your hole is not over 18"!!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
mtnbykr2

ROFLMAO
I believe the "hole" should be no less than 22" or is that 33" wait no, wait is it 18"?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

as far as casting goes,
1. if you wade out to waist deep water are you still on the beach?
2.what if you anchor your yak 25 yards out and cast back towards the beach?

anybody wanna fish Laguna?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
as far as casting goes....
On page 28 of the ordinance it says casting refers to balls. Cast being used as a verb, I.E throw a ball.

Read it yourself here: http://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/beach.pdf

Just like you can cast a net upon the water, or cast the first stone, you can cast a ball into the water, or even to your friend.

I think the ordinance is pretty stupid, but it has nothing to do with fishing, and it does not ban fishing off beaches.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
bellcon

According to the article in the local paper this morning...
the reporters got it all wrong
there are NO new regulations prohibiting the throwing or (casting) of frisbees and footballs and you can still make sand castles with moats

It actually loosens the restrictions that are already on the books.

And NO it has nothing to do with fishing, it never did... the mlpa already took acre of that
Old 02-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmith View Post
I read that article and felt sick. I moved to SoCal from NJ, where fun had officially been outlawed on the beaches for years. I kid you not, there is a beach where there is no radios, no fishing, NO FOOD! allowed. The idea is to leave the beaches only for townies and have no outsiders visit. The stuff I read about today in LA is fascist lunacy.
Ditto. I experienced similar stuff in Massachusetts where many of the beach towns charge $20+ for beach parking, regardless of how long you're going to be. Kind of expensive if you're just going to be an hour or two with the kids, or surf fish for a couple of hours. As you said, the idea is to restrict outsiders and leave the beaches only for townies. Guess that's typical for all the states like California where the progressives want the government to restrict public use and access to "their" public lands, deserts, beaches, ocean and other wilderness areas.