Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #21
Geno Machino
"Relax"

I like to keep my knife clean in between sides and when I cut the fillets into bag size pieces. I try and just use knife by dragging it on the fillet to clean the meat w/o water. The access to fresh clean water seems to be what I'm interested in...worked at 'Harbor Fish ' market in the early '70's for a few years and this is close to their set up.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #22
Starsky

I cleaned a halibut once on my trucks tailgate, the carwash guys were wondering where all the blood came from....
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #23
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

Also, I would not recommend that you wash your fillets, that is unless you plan on letting them dry out before you freeze them. If you wash them and bag them the fresh water will freeze inside the bag and cause freezer burn. just fillet and bag.
The fillets will burn after some time even if you don't use water. Gotta eat em'!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:27 AM   #24
Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
You're putting to much thought into it

1. fillet first side
2. fillet second side
3. discard carcass into trash can
4. cut fillets into pieces
5. bag fillets
6. go fishing again and repeat steps

I fillet all of my fish in my driveway and rarely do i make such a mess that it makes me worry about it. Once I'm done I just get the hose and wash down the area that I was working in. I've been doing this for years and I've never had any issues with my driveway smelling like spoiled fish and I know for a fact that I my driveway is not stained.

Also, I would not recommend that you wash your fillets, that is unless you plan on letting them dry out before you freeze them. If you wash them and bag them the fresh water will freeze inside the bag and cause freezer burn. just fillet and bag.
I chucked the carcass of my last fish on the barbie and enjoyed a super meal.... my dog joined in on the feast and we were both blown away on how much meat I had been missing all these years. I store all my left over fish parts in my outside freezer til trash day.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #25
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post

Cost me around 70 dollars on amazon. I like the little channels on the perimeter as well to prevent fish liquid from spilling over.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Mmmm fish liquid.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #26
Aznronin

She's not letting you keep your big fish? Forget the table. Get a good divorce lawyer. Lol. Jk
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #27
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznronin View Post
She's not letting you keep your big fish? Forget the table. Get a good divorce lawyer. Lol. Jk
Haha...she's just straight up with me...basically she doesn't want more fish if we still have some left which is another point she makes besides the guts....

Can't argue with that...will start looking at H.O.W.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote