Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #81
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I though this was a kayak forum!

JK.... I'm just jealous because I don't have one.
If you buy it at a kayak shop is it not a yak?
Solo Skiff says it is a yak on STEROIDS. Whatever you call it, fun city it is.
Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #82
MrPukaShell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
From what I saw, they paddled a lot last week. We can let em in.
Classic
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #83
blazian

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
If you buy it at a kayak shop is it not a yak?
Solo Skiff says it is a yak on STEROIDS. Whatever you call it, fun city it is.
Tight Lines.
Bob, so what are your thoughts on the Solo now that you have gone on a Baja run with it?
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #84
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
Bob, so what are your thoughts on the Solo now that you have gone on a Baja run with it?
Bob's back in Baja all this week, but I can give you my impressions.

First, I bought this never intending to it replace my PA, but supplement it. What the Solo Skiff is going to allow me to do is explore and access locations that were simply out of reach in the PA. Now I can hit the backside of the Island at Bob's place without a 12 mile round trip paddle. I can even island hop the whole chain, which would make for a 30+ mile round trip - Bob and I are talking about camping on the islands. I also bought it with Mag Bay in mind to be able to hit mangrove channels well out of kayak day trip range.
Second, it gives me lots of options fishing San Diego bay with the ability to go anywhere in it on a whim, or head out to Point Loma kelp - easily skirting the MPA without all the paddling - or heading south to I.B. targeting the halibut grounds.

I've been kayaking since the 70's and would never give it up in favor of a skiff - the stealth of a kayak cannot be beat, which is why kayakers outperform every other private boater in our local kelp.
Bottom line, I love the boat - but I'm keeping the kayak.

Last edited by Baja_Traveler; 04-18-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:30 AM   #85
blazian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Bob's back in Baja all this week, but I can give you my impressions.

First, I bought this never intending to it replace my PA, but supplement it. What the Solo Skiff is going to allow me to do is explore and access locations that were simply out of reach in the PA. Now I can hit the backside of the Island at Bob's place without a 12 mile round trip paddle. I can even island hop the whole chain, which would make for a 30+ mile round trip - Bob and I are talking about camping on the islands. I also bought it with Mag Bay in mind to be able to hit mangrove channels well out of kayak day trip range.
Second, it gives me lots of options fishing San Diego bay with the ability to go anywhere in it on a whim, or head out to Point Loma kelp - easily skirting the MPA without all the paddling - or heading south to I.B. targeting the halibut grounds.

I've been kayaking since the 70's and would never give it up in favor of a skiff - the stealth of a kayak cannot be beat, which is why kayakers outperform every other private boater in our local kelp.
Bottom line, I love the boat - but I'm keeping the kayak.
Thanks Kai for the reply. I'm more specifically looking at launching and landing in LJ beach conditions. Like you I have a PA14 and wanted to see if it's easier to launch at LJ. Can you drop the motor and break thru surf or do you have to paddle past surf line first? If you have top paddle is it easier than a PA14? and opposite is it easy to land? can you cruise in under power and lift the motor at the last minute?

Last edited by blazian; 04-19-2017 at 11:48 AM.
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 AM   #86
Baja_Traveler

I have not launched or landed in surf conditions yet - still waiting for those pesky back ordered wheels to come in. The Solo paddles just as well or even easier than a PA. I don't see any problem launching at La Jolla - just push the boat out to knee deep water and go, but I have yet to try it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #87
cris

That photo is great. Love the colors.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote