Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Bass at the DP pipe?

I've been thinking of hitting the pipe next week. Has anybody been out to the pipe throwing plastics lately? Hows the bite?

Another note - was thinking of C-rigging for deep bass like freshwater fishing, but w/ swimbaits or Gulps grups on the business end? Waste of time or anybody had any luck w/ on C-rigs? Seems like it could work if the fish were there but had lock jaw....
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Amish Ed

I'm hitting it monday or tuesday next week. Haven't heard any bass reports from there for a while. Definitely try the C-rig.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtp View Post
I've been thinking of hitting the pipe next week. Has anybody been out to the pipe throwing plastics lately? Hows the bite?

Another note - was thinking of C-rigging for deep bass like freshwater fishing, but w/ swimbaits or Gulps grups on the business end? Waste of time or anybody had any luck w/ on C-rigs? Seems like it could work if the fish were there but had lock jaw....
I have done ok on the sandies and halibut on c-rigged gulp at DP...I still might find myself down there on sunday if I can get my meter installed, but my time in the Man cave has been limited and I have to do a complete install with wet mount before the weekend
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
DanaPT

I'll be watching. . .

For follow-up posts on that "c-rig".

I made it out between 1-6 yesterday in the afternoon. Last couple of days in the PM had "appeared" to glass-off. I headed north to the kelp for nothing. The wind wasn't as bad as it could of been, but it wasn't easy to fish.

On the way back drifted with the wind, close to the harbor jetty and only managed 1 sand bass on plastic, C&R.

By about 6pm, it did glass off. Saw many of boaters setting up for a full moon hooping fest.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

I've been doing a lot of freshwater fishing in my buds bass club and have been killing the bigger LMB on Carolina rigs. Caught my biggest largemouth on it. Hoping to replicate it on the big pond!
Attached Images

andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
YakMedic

Hey Andrew, its Matt from the VA cardiology dept. Nice lookin lmb, you can catch damn near anything on a Carolina rig.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
PapaDave

Try using live anchovies or sardines on the pipeline at about 35-45 foot mark, the bass seem to be prefering that over the plastics these days. Also, cut up your dead anchivies and sardines, throw some peices over the area you want to dirft and flyline a peice on a hook, been getting some nice sized Calicos on the chunks. Been using some light outfits too, so lots of fun. Of course, no quarantees that hasn't changed...
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
fishsouthcounty

ill find out my schedule for next weeks work tomorrow and if im off Monday i would love to tag along to the pipe...no FF for myself so i am yet to fish it on the kayak.

looks like most of the red tide has FINALLY cleared out around Dana too.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Fish4Fun

How to locate the Pipe

Can someone share with me how to locate the Pipe without a fish finder? Much appreciate.

Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
fishsouthcounty

With lobster season in full swing now just head south out of the harbor mouth then find the lobster trap buoys. They should be lining either side of the pipe.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I have done ok on the sandies and halibut on c-rigged gulp at DP...I still might find myself down there on sunday if I can get my meter installed, but my time in the Man cave has been limited and I have to do a complete install with wet mount before the weekend

So i was gonna get out on Dana Wharf sunday...got a couple groupons i need to use up but they got the Pride going with almost a full load so im over that...get that finder done and come on down to Dana and lets fish.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
So i was gonna get out on Dana Wharf sunday...got a couple groupons i need to use up but they got the Pride going with almost a full load so im over that...get that finder done and come on down to Dana and lets fish.
Hopefully I will get the container mounted tonight for the wet mount,
should be downhill after that...we will see, seems as though Mat wants to go to the Boo...real bad ...lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Hopefully I will get the container mounted tonight for the wet mount,
should be downhill after that...we will see, seems as though Mat wants to go to the Boo...real bad ...lol
word...ill be hittin dana sunday either way so if you wanna head this way just shoot me a PM and we can plan a meet time...if not good luck up there. should be a great weekend to be out on the water.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
FishinReelDeals

dp Bass

Never carolina rigged for sw bass.I do really well drop shotting the 5" gulps in a variety of colors. Fished the pipe from a friends boat their last tuesday for a couple of nice bass, all on plastic. The bass fishing at dp really slowed down in the last couple of years. Id like to see more fisherman practicing catch and release on the calicos. I wish all the bass fishing was catch and release. Carolina is my go to rig for lmb. It hasn't let me down yet!
Attached Images

FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #15
PapaDave

I'm hoping to get out there Sunday also. Maybe I'll see you guys out there.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
The bass fishing at dp really slowed down in the last couple of years. Id like to see more fisherman practicing catch and release on the calicos. I wish all the bass fishing was catch and release.
Alright, you baited me.
First, the last "couple years" have been strong La Nina w/ a negative (cold) PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) . It stands to reason that bass fishing would be slower with below average water temperatures. I'm also leaning toward the abundance of coastal WSB #'s and almost 18months straight of market squid spawn cycles as a result of the cooler water cycle.
"Just because you can't catch them doesn't mean they're not there."

2nd, I bet that thresher in your avatar is thinking, "Id like to see more fisherman practicing catch and release on the threshers. Or at least release me at the water, and not dragged up on deck."
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
blitzburgh

Attached Images

Old 10-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #18
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Alright, you baited me.
First, the last "couple years" have been strong La Nina w/ a negative (cold) PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) . It stands to reason that bass fishing would be slower with below average water temperatures. I'm also leaning toward the abundance of coastal WSB #'s and almost 18months straight of market squid spawn cycles as a result of the cooler water cycle.
"Just because you can't catch them doesn't mean they're not there."

2nd, I bet that thresher in your avatar is thinking, "Id like to see more fisherman practicing catch and release on the threshers. Or at least release me at the water, and not dragged up on deck."
Old 10-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
Zed
BANNED

You can have your popcorn. blitz.
But it's the blanket, knee-jerk, no science statements like that, that got us here in this MLPA mess.

And BTW, why is this popcorn-worthy? Can't we have a discussion? I wasn't bashing him or his decisions, just making a counter-point. He posted it on the web for all to see, so I read it, digested it, and commented on it.

To quote Primus, "Fish on!"
Old 10-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
blitzburgh

Just havin some fun