Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
fisheds
Junior

Hobie launch question.

Mirage Drive question: Paddle out through the surf, then drop in the mirage drive? Or drop in the mirage drive before launch, and peddle out?

I have fished LJ about 10-15 times and have always put the mirage drive in before launch. I usually wade out to about few feet deep, jump in, drop the rudder and peddle power through the waves. Not always the smoothest of launches, but hasn't failed me until last outing. Did the usual, but after I jumped in and began to peddle, the fin snagged the bottom, got turned a bit sideways and was cooled off before I ever heated up. Everything was strapped down, but did lose a pair of prescription Oakleys, the water inlet tube for my bait tank and a bit of pride. Do those with mirage drives paddle out through the surf then drop their drive in, or peddle out?
fisheds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Hellboy1500

Myself and my wife have done both, I have a PA 14 and she has an outback. I have found it a lot easier and safer for myself to put the peddles in and wade out far enough to try and not have that happen. I definately worry about it each time i do it though. I already have my rudder down so i don't have to worry about it and i dont even worry about sliding my feet into the strirrups. This last time i got pumled by two waves crashing right down on the front and just kept peddling and i was fine. My wife cheated and had me push her out and then she peddle and she was fine. Its another story for her coming in as you can see on the post she had to change her name to scaredycat. all in all i found it easier to have the peddles in. Risky yes but worth the risk
Hellboy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
blitzburgh

Peddle.....always. Especially in the PA.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

On a PA I agree I think, though I have never surf launched a PA yet, but on the Outback, I have always paddled out and in, then dropped the gear,
but I would like to try it with no equipment and check it out, I threatened in the winter to go surfing in the summer, but here it is August and if I am in the yak, I ain't playin in the surf...lol
Old 08-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Mongo Johnson

"Sometimes you're the windshield. Sometimes you are the bug. Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger, sometimes you are the ball . . ."

How many yakkers take the time to time to chill and study the wave set cycle and pick a long lull to get out?

How many watch for bit, think "What the heck" and just go in the next lull they see?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Kahouna

For me, I put the peddles in when it's deep enough. I leave the rudder up and paddle/peddle until I am in the clear. When I get far enough out, I drop the rudder and start putting things in order as I start the peddle out. Having the rudder up and paddling, I get to keep things straight plus I get the keck outta dodge a little faster.

I try to time the sets, but things can run together and/or I just say screw it and go like hell.
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
Yakin

In the PA 14 you are so wide so it is so hard to peddle and paddle!
So when I am breaking threw the surf in my PA I drop the rudder already have my drive in be as deep as I can be to jump in with ease.
I watch the set, then say screw it, jump in and peddle like hell and I haven't had any problems!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
ratdog

I have a revo and I never put the peddles in or rudder down until I have cleared the surf zone. I always wait to time the sets, then go. I feel I have more control with the paddle but I learned on a OK Prowler that I had for 5 years. Jusy my opinion.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
I have a revo and I never put the peddles in or rudder down until I have cleared the surf zone. I always wait to time the sets, then go. I feel I have more control with the paddle but I learned on a OK Prowler that I had for 5 years. Jusy my opinion.
Me too every time no issues...going out. My dump ratio going in is considerably higher...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
hemimike
Junior

I have a revo and a outback and I always put my peddles in and rudder down after clearing the surf zone.
hemimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
jorluivil

I usually launch with my rudder out, as soon as the water is deep enough I pop the drive in and use that and my paddle to get past the waves. Most Hobies are HORRIBLE at tracking and will turn on a dime if the sets are coming in sideways and at short intervals.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Most Hobies are HORRIBLE at tracking and will turn on a dime if the sets are coming in sideways and at short intervals.
I can agree with that. Especially in my Revo 11, It's terrible paddling. I've been trying to paddle thru the surf then drop in the mirage drive and rudder down.
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I usually launch with my rudder out, as soon as the water is deep enough I pop the drive in and use that and my paddle to get past the waves. Most Hobies are HORRIBLE at tracking and will turn on a dime if the sets are coming in sideways and at short intervals.

meant to say....."usually launch with my drive out"

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #14
roadx

outback and now pa12 peddle out peddle in.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #15
Mongo Johnson

Is anyone an advocate of having the drive IN, but clipped up, with flippers racked against the hull? Seems it might be more secure and more easy to get into action. As an alternative to being fully out?

I've launched with mine OUT with rudder up and on coming in, I've clipped the flippers up, and lift the rudder for sure.

Maybe just personal preference. Either way, I leash the drive.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #16
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I have always had the peddles in with the bungee on to keep them against the hull. Done this on my revo and now on the PA14. Walk it out to waste deep water, wait for the right time and go for it. Leaving the bungee on til I'm in the safe zone. Same for coming in, put the bungee on before arriving to the RED zone, just in case something goes wrong your drive will go flat on the hull.

My landing technique: I come in with no paddle and head in at a 45 degree angle. If a set starts coming, I can easily turn back out and wait for a better moment. That has worked for both boats and have still not tipped the navy ship yet.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
I have always had the peddles in with the bungee on to keep them against the hull. Done this on my revo and now on the PA14. Walk it out to waste deep water, wait for the right time and go for it. Leaving the bungee on til I'm in the safe zone. Same for coming in, put the bungee on before arriving to the RED zone, just in case something goes wrong your drive will go flat on the hull.

My landing technique: I come in with no paddle and head in at a 45 degree angle. If a set starts coming, I can easily turn back out and wait for a better moment. That has worked for both boats and have still not tipped the navy ship yet.
I use the same process and it works for me, and Roman, and Ruben, and Roxy and Rocco. Just be careful when you surf into shore and the Leopards are in the shallows 1-2 feet. Even though they are only 5 feet long, if you startle them and you are between them and deep water they may knock into you sending you off-balance as they try to swim under your kayak. I had four try to swim under me and knocked me right off into 2 feet of water! When I looked around the water, I saw at least 20 more Leopards trying to flee away from me.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
Pocoloco

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
outback and now pa12 peddle out peddle in.
X2
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
I use the same process and it works for me, and Roman, and Ruben, and Roxy and Rocco. Just be careful when you surf into shore and the Leopards are in the shallows 1-2 feet. Even though they are only 5 feet long, if you startle them and you are between them and deep water they may knock into you sending you off-balance as they try to swim under your kayak. I had four try to swim under me and knocked me right off into 2 feet of water! When I looked around the water, I saw at least 20 more Leopards trying to flee away from me.
nothin' like a little Leo action to make the landing even more eventful...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #20
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
...deleted
yeah he is pretty ok, but don't tell him that...but wait you launch backwards?