Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
tptrench

Yellowtail collars

Is there an easy way to get the collars off a yellow? I always have a big struggle with a saw and I love kama! Thanks, TP
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
newguy01

collar

here is what i do i locate the bone closes to the head and use the knife in between the disk. or use a meat cleaver and a mallet and go at it works for me.
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
Oolie
Headshots Only

find the clitoris
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
kareem korn

Not sure how to explain it. You can pretty much see in the pics where they came from and the shape will give you an idea of how to get them off. The "chin" is not connected to much. But, the top part of the heas has a large rib like bone that can be cut with a pair of dykes.
Best part of the fish.

Also. after you fillet both sides and get the collars, break off the head and tail. Marinate the rest and grill it for a few minutes. Lots of meat in there that is tasty with a cold one.

The head and tail I give to a friend that is from the islands (his favorate part).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sideoff.JPG (39.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg headsNtails.JPG (36.5 KB, 109 views)
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
Dean Machine

Anyone know the proper way to cook these delicious little morsels?
I grilled the last seabass collars I had with some mustard, terriaki, honey, worcestershire glaze and it was really good but I have never done the yellowtail.

I've had some salty yellowtail collar with some ponzu sauce before and it was the best. Any tips?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
kareem korn

What I do: After cutting them out and in the kitchen, I clean them up....cutting as much of that white membrain off. Than I get the little splotches of blood off (there's hardly any). I keep the skin and that fin on. The skin will keep the juices from the fat around. I pat them dry with a paper towel. Than I marinade them. Mine of choice is is tarayaki. There's one at Henery's I think that is tarayake/garlic/wasabi ( I forgot who makes it). I put the collars in a vacuum seal bag and add the marinade. Seal it and put it in the fridge for 1/2 a day. Than I grill them. Put about 5 beers in the freezer. BBQ on high. Lot's of olive oil on the grill. First meat side down for five min. Than skin side for another 5. If I think it's still not cooked enough, I put them on that top warmer rack and close the bbq lid for 5-10 min. You can't really over cook them. It's moist no matter what. When I take them off I wrape them in foil for 5-10. I found they tast the best while eating them outside on the patio table when the sun is almost down and a ice coold one or two or three or four....to wash it down with

That's how I do it.

Or

You can broil them. I'm sure there's lot's of boring recipes you can google for this method.

P.S.>>>>PM Yani.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Dean Machine

Thanks! Sounds good, especially the beer in the freezer method . You can always tell what's biting when everyone starts asking for recipes. Good luck on the water. Mahalo!