Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
Fishhawk
Junior

Comfortable kayak?

Looking to get a new kayak soon. Since I have had back problems in the past, I was wondering if these yaks I've been looking at are comfortable. I'm mostly going to use it in the bays, but I really want a yak to go to the La Jolla Kelp. Right now I'm in between an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 angler ($699), or the W.S. Tarpon 14($850). I would be putting the best backrest that I could get on it.
I plan on renting some soon at OEX, I know they have the Tarpon, but I just wanted to get some experienced opinions about the subject. I've heard kayak fishing can be rough on the back, anyone have this problem?
BTW, I liked these yaks cause they seem to be a good value. I'd love to get something fancy like a hobie pedal drive, but I'd like to keep it under $900.
Thanks for any help!
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
92yj

i also have back problems, i paddle a ok-p15 i put a high back seat on it. it is a comfy ride. my bro has a ok scrambler as well, he had back surgery at the age of 17 and he seems to like the ride.
92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Useful Idiot

There's not a ton of difference in comfort between kayak models themselves, most cockpit areas are very similar, it'll mostly have to do with the seating area. The tarpon seats are real nice and very adjustable so you can change angles and pressure points throughout the day. Some of the high end surf to summit and seairsports seats are also comfortable.

The only difference you'll see between kayak models really is the foot well area. I think the molded foot wells are more comfortable than the foot peg systems, but the problem is you hardly ever fall into the right slot with the molded foot wells. At least for me, my legs always seem to be halfway in between two foot well positions, so the adjustability of the foot pegs is nice if that's the case.

If comfort is your biggest concern you need to worry about the seat. Compare the tarpon seat to the gts expedition or pacific angler, and then that'll determine which kayak models you can look at. Selecting the kayak has more to do with speed, stability, weight capacity, those types of things...
Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I have a chronic lower back problem. Some days I can barely move when I wake up. Surprisingly, even after a day on the water in my Revo, I am usually fine. I think it may have something to do with constantly peddling just like you are on a recumbent bike.

I know that Hobie is not on your list but you should give it a try before you make your decision.

Being in my yak does not hurt my back but lifting the kayak to the roof of my SUV is another story. If I don't do it right, I can suffer for days.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
robmandel

I have a P13. I do love it. also have a T15 (and started off on a cobra fish n dive) so I got a few things to compare it to.

one thing I noticed about the P13 is that the seat well is low and fairly flat. several hours on the water and what ends up hurting me the most is my tailbone. I have a GTS Expedition seat (http://www.surftosummit.com/gts-expe...th=299_294_325) and it is very nice. great back support. but I found a cheapo solution for the tailbone. took a piece of cheap foam sleeping bag mat ($5 at walmart) and cut it to the shape of the seat then cut out a small part where my tailbone rests. put it on top of the seat.

the other thing is that with the low and flat seat, your legs stick out pretty much level and they soemtimes get stiff. but that could be me. overall though it's not that bad.

it's a great platform for fishing. lots of space on the deck, in the back, and inside. very configurable, more so than the trident.

the tarpon seats are supposed to be very good. paddle them both and see what you like better.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
mk4
Junior

I believe the Tarpon 140 (and maybe all W.S. kayaks) have a proprietary seating system. I sat in one at Southwind and it was pretty comfortable, especially the backrest.
mk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Siebler

The Phase 3 seating on the Tarpon line is awesome. There is so much adjustment on this seat (including Leg Lifters) that you can change things up as much as needed throughout even the longest trips so you stay comfortable.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
rrdstarr
Junior

Try it before you buy it Fishhawk. Everyones a** is different. I have the OK PTA-13 and I can go about two hours before I need to get up and stretch. But I got shot in the a** 26 years ago, so that is my excuse!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Fishhawk
Junior

Thanks for all the advice you guys!
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote