Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
I think this pretty much covers it. I have seen a few posts that covered parts of what you stated but you stated it all. Good job. For sure if someone catches a fish, for sure don't post up their fish unless they say it's O.K. and it's a part of YOUR report for the day. That person may not want to report that fish being caught.

Good to know jimmyz approves! Afterall, along with experience comes knowledge.
Wow, that slap felt nice? What they heck did I say to deserve that?

O.K. so I'll be the follower and say, "O.K. what he said." Is that better for you?
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #22
old_rookie

Sorry to hijack this post but -cabojohn: that is by far the worst avatar to date, especially after all the other ones you had.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #23
StinkyMatt

Cabo, get your picture fixed....it used to be the main reason I came here!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post

for the really new guys, try & visualize where someones lines might be and dont cross over them.
hahaha, and for the "really new guys"...

If you ever want to learn anything about fishing la jolla all you need to do is search "madscientist"

you might just learn something yourself Wade

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #25
Amish Ed

On the drifting note. Don't setup a drift over an area another guy is working. That's my biggest pet peave. If I've been methodically working an area for a 1/2hr and you stop right where I've been casting, I won't be too happy. I probably won't say anything, but I'll think it. I recently had that happen. I did at least 10 short drifts in the same 30' and some guy (who'd been slowly working my way) stopped right on top of where I was casting. We were in 50' so the splashing wasn't an issue, but I wanted to be casting across where he was. Bad form.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #26
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
On the drifting note. Don't setup a drift over an area another guy is working. That's my biggest pet peave. If I've been methodically working an area for a 1/2hr and you stop right where I've been casting, I won't be too happy. I probably won't say anything, but I'll think it. I recently had that happen. I did at least 10 short drifts in the same 30' and some guy (who'd been slowly working my way) stopped right on top of where I was casting. We were in 50' so the splashing wasn't an issue, but I wanted to be casting across where he was. Bad form.
Oh - Sorry Ed, I didn't realize you were casting - I was busy checking my lat/lon position to be sure I was out of the MLPA area and didn't notice you there.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #27
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I've been told that the Darkhorse will fish for beer, (plus a small consulting fee). You can't do better than that.

Bob
For the record: When fishing with new clients---the beer stays on ice until a Yellowtail or giant White Sea Bass is on deck! After that, if you so desire to celebrate the life of your trophy, I'm not going to stop ya' .
As far as the original post, there's already plenty of great advice in this thread. Pretty much everything's been covered.

Something that comes to mind, though, is during a squid bite---I don't mean sitting in a couple mile wide area full of squid---I'm talking about an actual bite, when every rod in the fleet starts bending in sequence like we're doing the wave at a baseball game ---communicate with anyone in your zone when you hook up. Be polite, but make sure you get the surrounding anglers attention if they don't realize you're on. Watch your line, and warn anyone who might get caught up in your fish.

The same way you'd communicate on a sportboat when you're coming down the rail with a fish on, work together with your surrounding anglers. Just like fishing on a sportboat, it's far better to avoid a tangle then the alternative. Ya' know, sitting there in free-spool, waiting for that guy to land his fish? I don't know about you, but that's not my idea of a good time.

You're stoked if it's a deckhand or some old salt---short-pumping the Yellowtail to gaff in thirty seconds. But, if it's some guy who hasn't caught a solid fish in years---good luck! The bite could be over by the time you get out of the tangled mess. I see it all the time: guys with two rigs down, staring like a Deer in headlights as you're flying towards them. It makes no sense.

I'll guess I'll add something to the typical, warm-water, fly-line trolling situations you'll find, too. Something I often see is, someone trolling right across your heading, say 100' in front of you---then they just stop and sit there. No, I don't mean they saw an epic mark on the HDS and dropped and iron. I mean stop for no apparent reason, other than making you look at them, for minutes, and change coarse. If you realize you're in this situation, though, just keep moving forward so the other guy doesn't have to change coarse. I'm sure 99% of the time this isn't on purpose. So, no harm no foul.

Don't get me wrong, there's no straight lines in the ocean. Not to mention, the ocean isn't mine. Obviously. At the same time, the ocean is freakin' huge. Don't try to make it seem small .

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 02-03-2011 at 08:26 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #28
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
hahaha, and for the "really new guys"...

If you ever want to learn anything about fishing la jolla all you need to do is search "madscientist"

you might just learn something yourself Wade
??
i dont claim to be the king of the Jewel , nor do i think that even remotely if that is what your alluding to....
i lurked on this board for many years before even registering..but... I have been at it on plastic for ten years if that counts for squat?..
thankfully, i learn something new EVERY time i go out..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #29
TCS

Asking this question and being aware that this could be an issue is 90% of it.

Last edited by TCS; 02-04-2011 at 11:19 AM.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #30
BigBalsa
Junior

Don't take your wife out with you...

...unless she can can cast, drift, or dance really good on a yak
BigBalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 AM   #31
Matt
Support your local pangas

Oh yea here's another don't post up "anything going on in lj??", "anyone caught anything lately?". Just go fish and find out for yourself....earn your fish yourself!!! Every guy on this board or fishing lj has blanked and will blank again. If you put your time in and do the work you WILL
catch fish ya just gotta keep slugging it out and going for it.

I'll speak for myself here in regards to friendliness on the water, I've handed off and loaned people my lucky iron to guys like Eric(k) and had them get their first yoyo fish on it. I've handed off bait (squid and macks) to have people catch fish on them (Jasmin, fishionado et al.) If you put your time in and are friendly ya earn respect out there, if you show courtesy and respect towards your fellow fisherman you'll find some helpful people out there!!! Lastly if you are out on a wfo bite ya may want to wait awhile before posting it up or telling everyone about it (this is a lesson I learned a few years back) it'll gain ya some respect among the guys out there that hate the Internet and are on it almost daily. So go fish and have fun
Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #32
dorado50

Matt, you have given me bait many atime,but I have yet to catch anything on it! WTF..............and you know if you offered the shirt off your back I'd take it!! Saludmy friend.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #33
Matt

It might be a little baggy on ya Dave!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #34
TCS

Matt,
As far as I'm concerned, you are the man. You've helped point me in the right direction a few times out there. Thanks, its good when people are freindly n the water.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #35
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
...if you show courtesy and respect towards your fellow fisherman...

Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #36
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Right back at ya sweetheart like i said ya gotta earn it not buy it from a guide!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #37
Amish Ed

No Worries OR, I wished you dead and got over it. Those MLPAs will get you every time.