Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
JDW

Best fishing PFD?

What is the best fishing PFD in your opinion? I'm looking at the Stohlquist Fisherman Personal Floatation Device.
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
buddha

What I would recommend that you definitely do is to try them on for fit. I originally bought the Kokatat Bahia Tour after hearing all the great reviews.

I bought it without trying it on and it was way way too bulky for me.

I returned it and bought the Kokatat MsFit Tour which fits me perfectly and has great features.

Kokatat MsFit Tour Life Jacket-PFD

Unisex
500D Cordura outer and 200D nylon inner
16 lbs. 6 oz.
USCG Type IIITouring
Articulated shell and foam panels
2 bellows pockets with zippered side entry
One electronics pocket
Front lash tab, reflective tape
Strobe lash tab on back

I forget that I have it on that is how good it fits.

You have to try them on and see how they fit and if they have the components that you like.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
tacmik

The best pfd you can get is the one that fits best and is comfortable to wear. I do have the stohlquist that I really like. Try different ones on and get one that you will wear whenever you paddle.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
bmercury

I am more than pleased with the NRS Chinook.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
619-SWIM-DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
The best pfd you can get is the one that fits best and is comfortable to wear. I do have the stohlquist that I really like. Try different ones on and get one that you will wear whenever you paddle.
X2 stohlquist
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

I like my hobie vest. Matches my kayak perfectly!!
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

When you try it on sit in a chair or on the ground and move your arms in a paddling motion. You want to make sure it does not bind or interfere with your stroke or get uncomfortable when sitting
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
FISH11

You should try several different brands and models. Every ones body shape is different and so are the personal preferences on number of pockets and locations. so it kind of comes down to personal preference but the model I found that fits best and has just enough and not too large pockets and a place for the VHF radio is the NRS Chinook. Make sure to get one that has the lower back mesh so it doesn't interfere with the seat back cushion and is comfortable to paddle while wearing.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
ol'skool

Doesn't anyone use the CO2 rip cord type? True, you can't hang a bunch of stuff off them but dang, you don't even know you're wearing one. I love mine!
ol'skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'skool View Post
Doesn't anyone use the CO2 rip cord type? True, you can't hang a bunch of stuff off them but dang, you don't even know you're wearing one. I love mine!
I never wanted to get a CO2 type pfd because my thinking is what if it doesn't engage? Yes it is light but I would be more comfortable in something I know will work 100% of the time.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
FISH11

They are small and light, but who is going to pull the inflator cord for you when you get hit on the head by your Kayak or something else causes you to be in the water unconscious. If you buy the model the self inflates and you fall in coming thru the surf, you will be having the constantly replace CO2 bottles. They are better on boats.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I think an inflatable PFD is a bad idea. In an emergency you have to find and pull the rip cord while you might be in a panic state.. not ideal. What if you hit your head and you can't pull the cord? You need to test it a few times a year, and carry spare CO2 in case you need to reuse it. Auto ones aren't much better. They may accidentally go off. You need to test them as well, and carry spare CO2 and re-arming kits. Get a dumb PFD that only fails if you don't wear it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #13
LastCast
Junior

I use an Ascend Paddling Fishing PFD from Bass Pro Shops. It is comparable to the Stohlquist Fisherman PFD and a little cheaper.
LastCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 AM   #14
JDW

Thanks for all the input! I agree about having a good fitting PFD, and wearing it at all times. I have a hobie PFD. I'm looking at different PDFs to hang gear on. Again, thanks for the input!
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #15
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
What is the best fishing PFD in your opinion? I'm looking at the Stohlquist Fisherman Personal Floatation Device.
(Not meant to be sarcastic!) The one you'll wear!!!
I haven't tried the Stohlquist Fisherman yet. I have an Extrasport but I wear an NRS Chinook.
From ICast, I'm waiting for the New Extrasport "Angler" series vests to come out so I can try one, they look and sound comfy!
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 08-28-2014 at 09:43 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Wintersun
Junior

I have trying to find one that has a pocket for a full size floating VHF radio iwth GPS/DSC and this complicated things more than I would have expected. The best PFD I found for use with a non-floating VHF radio is the Kokatat SeaO2 which provides 7.5 lbs. of flotation when not inflated and 22.5 lbs. with the bladder full (oral inflation of CO2 cartridge).

The next most comfortable was the NRS Chinook but its pocket setup made carrying a VHF radio a problem so it was off my list.

The Stohlquist Fisherman despite its appearance is less bulky than the MTI Dio F-Spec and Kokatat Bahia, Guide, Outfit Tour models by a quite a bit. I could not see a good way to carry a VHF radio with its layout so it was off my list as well.

I settled for the Stohlquist TowMotion PFD which has the dedicated VHF pocket that is large enough for my Icom M92D radio and has a pockets and not too much bulk.

The SeaO2 would be perfect but for the smaller radio pocket that was provided by Kokatat.
Wintersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
eDUBz

The stohlquist is a great Pfd, I got the piseas and it's comfortable. But like everything else your better off trying different ones out to see what you like.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Wintersun
Junior

All PFD's involve a compromise of one sort or another. I tried on many PFD's and found the Kokatat Bahia and Outfitter, and MTI Dio F-spec PFD's to be the bulkiest by far. The least bulky standard PFD was the NRS Chinook (but no place for a radio). In the middle was the Stohlquist Fisherman which is not as bulky as it first appears.

I liked the most the Kokatat SeaO2 PFD which is unique in providing 7.5 lbs. of flotation when empty and has an air bladder that you can add air to orally with a hose or using the CO2 cartridge. Fully inflated it provides 22.5 lbs. of inflation.

Most people will stay afloat with 7.5 lbs. of inflation and this is with normal clothing. Wearing a wetsuit and the total flotation is going to be over 16 lbs. or as much as many of the Type III PFD's being sold. This is the easiest jacket to be wearing and easily get back into a kayak from the water. The one drawback I found is that the radio pocket is OK for a regular VHF radio but too small for one of the newer floating models.

I ended up getting the Stohlquist Tow Motion that has a radio pocket I can use for stowing my Icom M92D radio while going through the surf or while out on the water if I am not actively conversing with another boat out on the water.
Wintersun is offline   Reply With Quote