Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
Johnp

Any reviews on the new Outback?

I know there are not a lot of them out there yet, just wondering if any of you that got one of the first ones has a personal review. Surf launch/land, how well it travels in choppy conditons etc. I would be moving from the 2015 revo. I did talk to a guy that had a PA, that changed his mind after a demo, said the stability in comparison was the reason. PA is out for me due to storage issues though.
I did do a short demo and liked it and the features on it quite a bit. Would like to hear impressions from those that are currently using one though. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
goldenglory18

I'm still waiting for my bonus before I jump into demoing one (assuming I'm going to want it immediately thereafter... ) but so far the reviews have been great.

I will say I'm not surprised at all someone that fishes off a PA thought ANYTHING else was unstable. Those PA's are a moving barge and just about anything besides a soloskiff is going to feel less-than-stable.

Just looking at the hull design and specs, I see this as a hybrid Hobie/Wildy and that alone makes me reach for the wallet. I've been waiting on a boat like this for a long time...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
Semper Fi-shing

I saw how much lower the dead rise was compared to my 2017 outback and changed my mind in upgrading. Would rather stay with what I have. I didnt see a reason why Hobie would decide to make the new one sit lower to the water line. To save a few lbs on weight and material perhaps? I do admit that alot of the upgrades looked very good but the dead rise killed it for me.

Now maybe if they decide to make the new pro angler ready to install a 2-6 hp gas motor, that would be a game changer
Old 10-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
Tigermidge

Here is what I have been reading and seeing on YouTube.
It is FASTER, In Lakes it Kicks ASS.
Is the swell of the Pacific Ocean and in a wind YOU will be getting wet.
But if speed in important to you it might be worth it.
Also I love the look and use of all the H rails.
But My Outback kayak is only a year olden I need to use it 2000 more times to get my money worth.

Although I am thinking about upgrading to Side-scan sonar.

Mark
Tigermidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Johnp

Wink

Have had several paddle kayaks, the revo was the first pedal kayak. So I have no comparison on the previous outback. Don’t imagine the new version is any wetter then the revo. and most likely dryer than my paddle kayaks. So many nice features on the Outback, I am going to pull the trigger. Guess I will have to provide the review down the road
Old 10-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I didnt see a reason why Hobie would decide to make the new one sit lower to the water line.
It is so it catches less wind, does not get pushed around as much......better drift fishing.

I have been out in the ocean twice in it, but conditions were super nice so no rough water testing yet.