Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #1
FISH11

LJ 4-7-18

For about almost 5 months for me personally, it's been the least productive time fishing for large trophy fish at LJ. Trying to time the weather pattern because of high winds or surf over 3-4 foot or combination of both. Finally it turned out to be my turn again, hooked something very large in the earlier morning and between trying to get better situated on the deck adjusting the drag (because of the very hard pull early on) and trying to use my remote to turn on the Go Pro's. Then the line goes pop, I bring it in and the braid it cut. I had a 6+ feet of 40 lb fluorocarbon leader, swivel and it's cut above that, I'm guessing very large Thresher and provably cut it with his tail, this time I never saw it but I have had it happen before after seeing them. Finally around 1pm on the way back to the point from south at approx. 57' I hear what sounds like porpoises coming through, just not as loud. I reach for my camera to shoot some video and as I look to the west were the sound is coming from I see at about 25' from me a school of Yellows coming straight at me and at the same time my reel with the fly line greenback mac starts screaming and the fun is on. As I got it to color and could tell he was 25-30lb, I decided to release it so I had to play it longer to tire it more. Finally got it along side and pulled it up onto my lap, put a game clip on him, held it up for the Go Pro's and then revived it using the game clip I towed it a little while and let him go. A couple boat that were there came over afterwards and asked some questions the guys in the second boat could not believe I had released it. The fun was enjoying the day on the water the time the sun came out, of course some beers. Catching and releasing the yellow just made the day extra special. These are some frame stills from the video I just haven' had time to edit.
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 04-08-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added some picts
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
summers in kuwait

Yeah buddy!

Nice write up, pictures and release!

A well-deserved fish! Congrats!

summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Pretty cool on the release mark. Its nice to have some fish, but if the freezer is full why not throw it back? After all, none of us are commercial fisherman, we do it for the sport. Reminds me when I go to Gonzaga and catch hundreds of fish including tons of yellowtail and release every one.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Nice! Congrats!
Old 04-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
LEEZO

nice hookup, Congratulations!
LEEZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
Croaker Dave

Great spring YT catch and release.
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

Great Report ! Taking in the experience and CPR ! Nice still frame photos - live fish photos on the yak always trump dead fish photos on the beach.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote