Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #561
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Torqeedo Cavitation Problem Solved!

i was lossing about 2mph when hitting max speed on my torqeedo. So i gave it some thought and went down every row at Home depot. I came across the plastic conduit boxes in the electrical row and I said to myself this just might work!

You would think with a 1600 motor they would have all these problems solved....

Fix cost me $18.00

One Torqeedo Lower clamp ring 069-0011 $7.00
Plastic Conduit Box $11.00
one camp ring $.45

it did, i hit 5.4 mph on the torqeedo at max speed without it picking up air.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #562
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
i was lossing about 2mph when hitting max speed on my torqeedo. So i gave it some thought and went down every row at Home depot. I came across the plastic conduit boxes in the electrical row and I said to myself this just might work!

You would think with a 1600 motor they would have all these problems solved....

Fix cost me $18.00

One Torqeedo Lower clamp ring 069-0011 $7.00
Plastic Conduit Box $11.00
one camp ring $.45

it did, i hit 5.4 mph on the torqeedo at max speed without it picking up air.

Its a great idea, it looks like it will work similar to a trim tab. However........

How are you keeping it from going sideways? If one of the sides gets kelp or grass or whatever caught in on it the drag of whatever is hung up on it will cause the tab to turn sideways. If the tab is sideways my guess is that the motion of the kayak going up & down will cause drag on whatever side the tab is on and will in turn cause the kayak to go down or up in a sideways motion. I'm thinking that you'll have the same results when you're turning in rough seas.

With the above being said another thing that can happen is that the up & down motion of the kayak will result in unwanted pressure being placed on the plate and may cause it to snap, best thing that can happen is that the plate will snap and your pole will remain straight.

Anyway......that's my thought.

good luck

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #563
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Its a great idea, it looks like it will work similar to a trim tab. However........

How are you keeping it from going sideways? If one of the sides gets kelp or grass or whatever caught in on it the drag of whatever is hung up on it will cause the tab to turn sideways. If the tab is sideways my guess is that the motion of the kayak going up & down will cause drag on whatever side the tab is on and will in turn cause the kayak to go down or up in a sideways motion. I'm thinking that you'll have the same results when you're turning in rough seas.

With the above being said another thing that can happen is that the up & down motion of the kayak will result in unwanted pressure being placed on the plate and may cause it to snap, best thing that can happen is that the plate will snap and your pole will remain straight.

Anyway......that's my thought.

good luck
Good points, I drilled the circle to be snug with the pole, so it can still turn with pressure.... Kelp would be a problem... the plastic plate its pretty durable the same thickness as our kayaks, so i don't think it will snap off (but who knows)but I will just have to pull up the motor, as I always do when I go across kelp...

the 6 hours I spent in the ocean the other day didn't budge it, so I guess its still good. If it does move ill just readjust with my paddle.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #564
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Good points, I drilled the circle to be snug with the pole, so it can still turn with pressure.... Kelp would be a problem... the plastic plate its pretty durable the same thickness as our kayaks, so i don't think it will snap off (but who knows)but I will just have to pull up the motor, as I always do when I go across kelp...

the 6 hours I spent in the ocean the other day didn't budge it, so I guess its still good. If it does move ill just readjust with my paddle.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #565
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:

That's a real fine canoe you are building! Damn fine.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #566
StinkyMatt

Can we now call this thing a "Bayliner"?

Nice boat Frank.......do you still fish?
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #567
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Can we now call this thing a "Bayliner"?

Nice boat Frank.......do you still fish?
Frank will start taking deposits for mothership trips from his kayak after the first of the year. Don't miss out!!!!!
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #568
HELLSTER INC.

2015 PA rail mounts

Hobie does not make rail mounts for scotty products for the 2015 PA. With all the scotty's i have i don't want to replace them all. So i bought some extra Ram ball rail mounts from Andy "ICEMAN" and it was really easy to adapt. 10922818_10203371976201131_5125099309287967694_n.jpg Remove ram ball from clamp and replace with scotty mount, use the same screw but have to add a 1/4" spacer at the bottom then use the same nut that was on the ram ball. Not really a innovation but it solved my problem!
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #569
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLSTER INC. View Post
Hobie does not make rail mounts for scotty products for the 2015 PA. With all the scotty's i have i don't want to replace them all. So i bought some extra Ram ball rail mounts from Andy "ICEMAN" and it was really easy to adapt. Attachment 14315 Remove ram ball from clamp and replace with scotty mount, use the same screw but have to add a 1/4" spacer at the bottom then use the same nut that was on the ram ball. Not really a innovation but it solved my problem!
you should patent that.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #570
cell128
lizard king

Tired of my dog eating my shoes when I try to dry them out. this should work. Cut off barbs for safety
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #571
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Was bored today since I didn't go fishing, so I upgraded my cheap $10 gaff and $10 bat with some paracord since I still have about 900 ft left. After I wrapped it, I soaked it and let it dry since paracord shrinks after getting wet. Feels real solid and didn't use any adhesive. Hopefully it holds.

uploadfromtaptalk1425270841916.jpg
Old 03-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #572
momo fish

Now that's solid work! Looks better than most I have seen at stores..

Do you ship? 😉
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #573
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Now that's solid work! Looks better than most I have seen at stores..

Do you ship? 😉
I'll make one for you Mo. $20 each.

Last edited by Silbaugh4liberty; 03-02-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Silbaugh4liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #574
kayachapi

Rod holder

Made a rod holder to lay my pole down without it flopping around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.4 KB, 621 views)
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #575
kayachapi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Was bored today since I didn't go fishing, so I upgraded my cheap $10 gaff and $10 bat with some paracord since I still have about 900 ft left. After I wrapped it, I soaked it and let it dry since paracord shrinks after getting wet. Feels real solid and didn't use any adhesive. Hopefully it holds.

Attachment 14786
When I was doing a paracord project, I read to soak it in boiling water for five minutes to shrink it. I did. It was a gift so I haven't heard if it's still holding. But if your gets loose you could try that. Nice Job!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #576
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayachapi View Post
When I was doing a paracord project, I read to soak it in boiling water for five minutes to shrink it. I did. It was a gift so I haven't heard if it's still holding. But if your gets loose you could try that
Good tip. I'll keep that in mind. My experience with paracord, just getting it wet in general seems to shrink. If it doesn't hold, I'll do the boiling water next.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #577
kayachapi

Rod holder

This is the one I wanted to get show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2535.jpg (68.6 KB, 619 views)
Old 03-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #578
kayachapi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Good tip. I'll keep that in mind. My experience with paracord, just getting it wet in general seems to shrink. If it doesn't hold, I'll do the boiling water next.
Nice work!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #579
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayachapi View Post
This is the one I wanted to get show.
That's a good one, especially for rough launches and landings! I dig it!
Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #580
Fishwhisperer619

Nothing crazy but i made this achor line with what i was able to find around the house (with the exception of the red/white floats).

Tuck the paracord under the zip-tie clip and pass it throught the figure 9 carabiner and itll hold up. Plus if i hook into a big boy i can unclip quickly, handle business, and then go back to my floating line
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas