Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

...and now for something completely differen't (new Kayak)

So since I've moved out of the math stage to the make a lot of noise stage I thought I'd share this....

Does this look like a Kayak to you?

Now it's starting to look like something... sort of...

That actually looks kinda like a kayak.

A few for scale...

So this is going to be my motorized (gas) off shore fishing kayak (Sit on top) that I'll be able to launch in the surf, paddle or run on power and fish offshore for local tuna, paddy yellows, mahi etc....

Stats length 21 feet beam 29 inches.

The idea is to combine my older passion for offshore fishing, with my new interest in Kayaking. My design and manufacture process, one of a kind, nothing ever built like it, don't try this at home...etc...

Bonus video: Cutting out the hull panels with freehand with a 7-1/4 circular saw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPhltdA61s

There you have it, Jim

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=451418044
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

I'm sure you realize once you motorize it, you'll have to register it (CF#'s) and once you get CF#'s that makes it a boat, and that will greatly diminish the number of beaches from which you can surf launch.

Let's see, I can think of one.

Sleek design, anyway. Have fun.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I'm sure you realize once you motorize it, you'll have to register it (CF#'s) and once you get CF#'s that makes it a boat, and that will greatly diminish the number of beaches from which you can surf launch.

Let's see, I can think of one.

Sleek design, anyway. Have fun.
You can't win them all... LOL

So which beach are you thinking about?

This is not meant to be a general use kayak.

I'm going to be powering it with a 2hp Honda 4 stroke. Sailboats that have used those motors as auxiliary power have reported mileage up to 40 miles to the gallon.

I'm planing on building a five gallon internal tank in it, since my hull is a lot lighter then a sailboat (by thousands of pounds) with far less drag and I should have much more range and speed then I can utilize.

With range and speed you don't have to launch right on a location to fish it. I'll primarily be launching it out of harbors, or perhaps at off the beach if I take it to Mexico.

The kayak is a hybrid of kayak, sailboat, and displacement powerboat design. It's going to blur the lines between what is a power boat and a kayak.

I'm designing it so it can launch and land in the surf, but it's not only what it's made for. I have plenty of kayaks I can fish out of the surf this one is designed for range, and sea keeping abilities so I can take it further offshore then a more standard kayak.

Jim
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Great thought, great craftmanship. Looks beautiful...

Now to the nitty gritty...you plan on installing a bilge pump, preferrably an auto (float) bilge? Would need an extra battery for that, esp in case of leakage.

If you don't, and do develop a leak, you are officially FUBAR.

The nittier of the gritty...2 words...

Hull displacement...

Make sure you put some whale tails (cavitation plates) on the outboard to help you plane better...just my 2 centavos...also check your rocker...and don't go out on 'swell' days...and make sure you have smooth, continuous beads on the welding points...

And as Zed pointed out, you are officially a motor boat under power.
Have all the necessary equipment, make sure you rinse thoroughly after every use, and only go out on days where LJ to the 9 mile bank is glassy...and make sure you use plenty of sunscreen under your chin, that aluminum (or SS) will cause a nasty glare...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Great thought, great craftmanship. Looks beautiful...Now to the nitty gritty...you plan on installing a bilge pump, preferrably an auto (float) bilge? Would need an extra battery for that, esp in case of leakage.If you don't, and do develop a leak, you are officially FUBAR.The nittier of the gritty...2 words...Hull displacement...Make sure you put some whale tails (cavitation plates) on the outboard to help you plane better...just my 2 centavos...also check your rocker...and don't go out on 'swell' days...and make sure you have smooth, continuous beads on the welding points...
And as Zed pointed out, you are officially a motor boat under power.Have all the necessary equipment, make sure you rinse thoroughly after every use, and only go out on days where LJ to the 9 mile bank is glassy...and make sure you use plenty of sunscreen under your chin, that aluminum (or SS) will cause a nasty glare...
I actually have about ten times the experience Offshore that I do kayaking, and have designed and built other small power boats for offshore. I actually have kind of have a reputation as a small Aluminum boat Guru. Do to several of the projects I have done in the past. I get calls to work on boats all the time but I usually do not have the time to do it.

Here's a few recent projects a repair and a T top mini tower and bait tank leaning post set up.

Probably many of seen these Photo's before.

Here's one of my favorites: a modified Western 14ft skiff from a few years back that Iredesigned for offshore use.

That's all the same boat. People thought I was crazy when I started it but it turned out OK.

It was initially just built as a prototype, but it's worked so well I kept it. I've maybe got a thousand hours on the boat since I rebuilt it and have taken that skiff all over out to about forty miles with no problems.

I've targeted a lot of Tuna and T's with it..

...and have had it in some pretty rough conditions.

I'm essentially designing the new power Kayak to target the same fish without the TSharks....

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 06-26-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

That thing looks cool but I bet it is not very buoyant. It might not be much fun to be on after taking a couple waves in the chest during the launch. Have you designed in some floatation?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Dan

killer project. do you plan on having an outrigger on that? your shop looks so cool.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote