Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Nismo228
Junior

Newb here

Hi everyone, I've been lingering around here trying to learn as much as I can and finally have the time for an introduction. I've been freshwater fishing (mostly for large mouth) for as long as I can remember. I've done a little saltwater fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. I caught a few reds, trout, flounder, and small grouper on my bass gear. I am currently in the market for my first kayak along with my girlfriends first kayak. I've never fished on the west coast and have already learned a lot from the members here. I am currently in Afghanistan and read the forums here just about daily. Once I get back to the states I look forward to the opportunity of meeting fellow members and the opportunity to get back on the water. There's not too much water around here to enjoy. I'll be moving to Escondido from Georgia when I get back. I plan on starting off small fishing the bays for bass and eventually working my way up to larger game fish. Thanks all for the helpful information and direction.

Paul
Nismo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
DanaPT

Paul, Thank you for the work you do in Afghanistan. Happy Veterans day too!

As for your kayaks, when you get back to the states safely, plan on checking out this site and craigslist for yaks. You will probably have a budget and I'm sure you will find something that meets it.

Keep reading these posts, study up and when you return let the forum know and I'm sure you'll have all the help you need to get you on the water and into fish.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Paul, Thank you for the work you do in Afghanistan. Happy Veterans day too!

As for your kayaks, when you get back to the states safely, plan on checking out this site and craigslist for yaks. You will probably have a budget and I'm sure you will find something that meets it.

Keep reading these posts, study up and when you return let the forum know and I'm sure you'll have all the help you need to get you on the water and into fish.
Paul, What he said ditto, and Thank You for you Service!
See ya on the water soon!
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
MrPatrick

Paul

When you get here I'd be more than happy to show you around San Diego bay. It's a great place to get started. Bit of a drive from Escondido but well worth it to get used to the feel of the water.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Nismo228
Junior

Thanks guys. I definitely can't wait. I'm leaning more towards a peddle yak. Maybe a PA if I'm comfortable on it and comfortable transporting it, I know its heavy. Any suggestions on rods and reels for fishing the bay? In addition to terminal gear. I don't have any issues with conventional reels but my girlfriend will probably need a spinning combo to start. I don't want her to get discouraged with bird nests.
Nismo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Oxbeast1210

I just moved to San Diego from Pensacola FL . I did quite a bit of kayak fishing out there but never on the west coast. I have a pro angler 12 and really like it. Its currently In AZ with all my fishing gear though. Probably wont get it till the beginning of next year once Im settled in. ANy ideas when you might be back ?
Id like to join ya in the bay to work up my west coast experience.

stay safe and look forward to seeing ya on the water.
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote