Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
DESTROYER

SMMT THIS SATURDAY INFO

First off, I would like to thank all of you who signed up and to al those who have supported this tournament over the year's. I am afraid to say that this will most likely be the last one. I would like to see this go out in style. Here are just a few things for Newbies and Oldies:
  • I will be getting down to the beach at 4:30 to start registration.
  • VHF 68 will be the official tournament channel.
  • Please form a single file line and if you have not sign the waiver please print it off the below link and have it filled out: http://lajollakayakfishingadventures.com/Events.shtml This will make the line go smooth.
  • Registration, you will recieve your T-Shirt and Angler's Raffle Ticket.
  • Calico Bass Division: you will be asked to step down to Nic after recieving your shirt and raffle ticket. Nic will be giving you your Angler Number on a 3x5 Card and pay for the Optional Big Bass Pot for $10. There will be 3 weigh boats. Nate who will be the OG Bait Boat in the Davis Rock Harbor, Reebs (His boat says Ballast Point on the side) and Paul Lebowitz ("PAL") in the Aluminum Cresty. Remember your number because that is how we will keep track of your 5 fish wieghed. Do not weigh more than 5 fish or you will be DQed. They also need to be 13 inches long. Final Bass Weigh in is at 12:00. Please give yourself time to get to a weigh boat.
  • Bait Boat: The Bait Boat will have live Sardine to get you started. Please be kind to Nate and his crew, they are donating their time and gas. Each angler will get about 5 pieces to start. You can load up on both sides of the boat.
  • Da$h 4 Ca$h: First person to weigh a fish over 10lbs at Kate Sessions Park will the money. Once a fish is weighed I will call Nate so he can relay the message on VHF 68.
  • Unloading in the Morning: Please be courteous when arriving early in the morning. Turn down radios, turn off lights, drive slowly, and be catious for others.
  • Start: Gentleman's Start. Sunrise is at 6:30. I'm ok if you start launching at 5:45. Please do not launch earlier than that.
  • BBQ: Food will be ready at 12:00 if you decide to come in early. Extra wrist bands for the lunch will be sold for family members for an additional $5.
  • Big Fish Weigh In: 1:30 at Kate Sessions Park. Don't be late! I will have direction printed out at sign in. The tide will be going low when you come in. The beach can be a nightmare so if you have wheels, BRING EM!
  • Raffle Tickets: Raffle Tickets will be for sell by my wife Ezara for $1 each. You can buy as many as you want. We sold $4,000 worth of tickets last year which accounted for almost half the money we raised for the American Cancer Society. I have many good items up for raffle as usual.
  • Kayak Auction: If you are looking to buy a kayak, there will be 2 kayaks for auction so bring your check book or cash. We will have a Camo Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Anglers Edition and a Hobie Quest. The bidding will start at $300 for both of them.
  • Awards: The Awards Ceremony will start promptly between 2:30 and 3:00. The raffle will start shortly after that.
Please contact me via PM or email if you have any questions. See you bright and early on Saturday. Please clean up after yourselfs if you do breakfast. Last year was a mess!

moyerthefishdestroyer@yahoo.com
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Dennis

Last one.. that sucks. I probably am not going to be able to fish again this year, but you have my support. My dad lost his battle with gastric cancer many years ago, but I was lucky enough to fish with him. Jim/Matt (and everyone else behind the scenes), Thanks for putting up stellar Moyer tourneys in the past! Your pops is definitely proud of you.

Matt, cool if Avery picks up my goody bag and shirt?

THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
DESTROYER

I don't have much Goodies for the bags this year, but I will send you shirt with him.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
yani

What happen to the Old Fart Division??

On a serious note, if you kayak fish in So Cal,
try and make this event. We have a great community
of anglers, let's represent.

Lastly, will the raffle include any pots & pans?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post
What happen to the Old Fart Division??

On a serious note, if you kayak fish in So Cal,
try and make this event. We have a great community
of anglers, let's represent.

Lastly, will the raffle include any pots & pans?
Only if you are going to cook us all something in them!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Longboard Steve!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

This is a lot of work to put on! I have dabbled in charity events in the past and its no picnic for the staff. They put in a LOT of hours! My first tourney was last year. It was amazing! Great food and raffle prizes! This was my first year on a yak. I know this tourney has done some great things for those in need, not to mention its fun! For those of you on the fence about coming out, DO IT! Rookie or not. You will have a great time, chat with some great people and learn a thing or two. I am still a rookie in this forum but I would love to see the yak community put their force behind this event and make it one to remember! I'll be out there trying to catch something, but the real purpose is to help those in need and for you to have a good time doing it! See you there.
Todd
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Billy V

I hope this is not the last one -

I know it is going to be a lot of work without Jim, but please don't write off the SMM just yet. Lets figure out a way to make it happen.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post

I know it is going to be a lot of work without Jim, but please don't write off the SMM just yet. Lets figure out a way to make it happen.

Amen!!!
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #10
PAL

Quote:

Agreed! Times change, but it will be a tremendous loss if it goes. So much history. Before this nine year run as the Moyer Memorial, there were at least four prior years as the La Jolla Kayak Fishing tournament.

There's much more to say, but I'll save it except for the big thank you to Matt, Jim and their families for the years of effort that have gone into the longest running kayak fishing tournament in the world.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
old_rookie

dumb question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER View Post
[*]Start: Gentleman's Start. Sunrise is at 6:30. I'm ok if you start launching at 5:45. Please do not launch earlier than that.

ummmm dumb question - what is a Gentlemen's Start??
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
dorado50

It means "don't launch before 5:45". And,"don't knock your competitor off his yak while launching thru the three foot surf".
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
Kailolo

Will La Jolla Shores Beach be Closed to Launch due to sewage?

Is SMMT still on tomorrow? Will the beach be open or, if closed, will it be open to yak launches?
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
PAL

The tournament is on - Matt would have definitely posted here if that weren't the case.

The beach closure reportedly runs north from the pier. The launch is fine.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
deepdvr

Keep your mouth closed when punching thru those waves.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
Keep your mouth closed when punching thru those waves.
Free Breakfast

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #17
Electronics Squid
Super Noob...

I hope everyone had a great time at the tournament, I was a bit overzealous thinking I would be able to be there less than 24 hours after returning home from a seven month deployment...and I apologize for not bringing the entertainment of my first attempt at a surf launch...
"Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as shit. You would not want to submerge your head, nothing but fish going "Ahhh, f#*$! I thought I looked like that rock!" - Mitch Hedberg R.I.P.
Electronics Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
nunyabizness1
Maggie

thank you

Thank you Matt and Jim for all your work in putting this event together! I had a great time!

I hooked up a halibut, it was barely legal but it popped off as I was taking a picture of it! I'll know better next time to stop and take a picture! Oh well! Had some raked baits after that but nothing to bring home!

Thanks Billy and Albie for helping me out there!

If anyone finds a Rod and Reel wash up at the beach, it might be mine! I lost a Corvalis reel that was brand new! I'm bummed!

The BBQ food was off the hook! Ceviche was the best! Great to see so many familiar faces! Thanks again to all who made this possible!

Maggie
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
newguy01

thank you Matt and Moyer familly

I had a great time today and great food to boot
and the fish god cooperated with most of us today.
I hope this not the last tourney, but I whish you all well
what ever you decide. again thank you everyone that help
put this together and make it happen.
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote