Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
danjor

HDS 7

Just picked up a HDS 7 unit from BPS. They price matched west marine for $899 and on top of that I get the mail in rebate so all said and done $750 for a HDS 7 50/200 with insight USA. I think I got a great deal so I thought I'd share it with everyone. Can't wait to get it setup, can't decide whether to order a thru hull transducer or use a scupper mount. I'm thinking thru hull because it will be a cleaner install and should be a better transducer, but overall I'm excited about purchasing one of these units, I have been dreaming about one for a few years and finally saved the cash to pull the trigger.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Baja_Traveler

Good for you! And an awesome deal - I just got a letter back from Lowrance rejecting my rebate because they said West Marine is not an authorized dealer for this deal...
Total BS if you ask me - its supposed to be a Lowrance promotion, not a West Marine one.

Anyway - I absolutely love mine - the color finder is fantastic, and working with the chart function is super cool. It tracks your course, and using the trip computer you can see how far you paddled that day.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Lipripper92592

You are going to love that unit. The ability to save a screen shot to the sd card is sweet! I just picked up the following:
Products Orderedfficeffice" />>>
1 of 02-1613 LOWRANCE ELITE 5 DSI COMBO @ $299.99 each>>
In stock-Approx delivery Thu 1/03>>
1 of 02-1794 CABELA'S SONAR SCREEN COVERS MEDIUM @ $9.99 each>>
In stock-Approx delivery Thu 1/03>>
Total>>
Merchandise = $309.98
Postage = $19.95

An hour after this purchase the price went up to $399, got to love it when the webmaster screws up!
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Good for you! And an awesome deal - I just got a letter back from Lowrance rejecting my rebate because they said West Marine is not an authorized dealer for this deal...
Total BS if you ask me - its supposed to be a Lowrance promotion, not a West Marine one.

Anyway - I absolutely love mine - the color finder is fantastic, and working with the chart function is super cool. It tracks your course, and using the trip computer you can see how far you paddled that day.
If I'm not mistaken I believe that is why west marine has the $150 off (at least that's what the guy in there store told me) West marine takes the rebate price off so you don't have to wait for the rebate. But when you can get bass pro who is authorized by lowrance to qualify for the rebate to price match west marine plus get the rebate its like a double rebate.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Baja_Traveler

Had I known I'd have done the same thing!
I'm not too bummed though after using the thing. After using my old dinky B&W humminbird for years, this unit is like moving up a big screen TV!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
GregAndrew

I would argue with Lowrance if I were you Baja. There is nothing in their rebate that says that the unit must be purchased from an authorized dealer. That is false advertising.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
I would argue with Lowrance if I were you Baja. There is nothing in their rebate that says that the unit must be purchased from an authorized dealer. That is false advertising.
Yea, I called the rebate center and they gave me the number to Lowrance direct. I'll call after the new year and argue the point. Nowhere on the rebate form or the Lowrance website does it say that only certain stores qualify.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Your gonna love it! I love mine!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
ericko

Thats a big guppy you have there tony...
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
GregAndrew

Baja, check out there "Where to buy" button at the top of the Lowrance web page. I am not sure which West Marine you bought your unit at, but the San Pedro West Marine is on their locations map.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
tacmik

A fish finder that cost more than my yak. It better not only catch the fish, but clean and fillet them also.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
A fish finder that cost more than my yak. It better not only catch the fish, but clean and fillet them also.
Cost more than yours, but only 1/3 of mine!
Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
I wanted a HDS 5 but the screen seemed so small so I got the 7.
Will make it easier to see the split screen when I get the money to get the structure scan,
I'm hoping the structure scan will make finding structure for lobster/crab and rock fishing really easy. Too bad I have to wait until march to go rock fishing again though....
Old 01-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Your gonna love it! I love mine!

Hey what type of mount is that for the head unit?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Baja_Traveler

That picture is an exact mirror image of my rig - YakAttack rails with the Ram Mount - I even ended up with the split screen reversed from yours by the end of the first day out.
I put mine on the right side because I push buttons with my right hand better...

Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
danjor

Quote:
That picture is an exact mirror image of my rig - YakAttack rails with the Ram Mount - I even ended up with the split screen reversed from yours by the end of the first day out.
I put mine on the right side because I push buttons with my right hand better...

So you connected the ram mount to the stock bracket?
And I was planning on using the yak attack rails, they look nice, being able to move the finder closer or farther from you
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
Baja_Traveler

Yep - stock bracket. All I needed was the rails and the YakAttack ball to replace the bolt-on one that came with the Ram Mount set.
I pulled my left side board off the other day and screwed clip mounts underneath for my bamboo gaff. Now the gaff is close at hand, but up off the deck tucked up under the rail, I think it is going to work out really well.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #18
danjor

Quote:
Yep - stock bracket. All I needed was the rails and the YakAttack ball to replace the bolt-on one that came with the Ram Mount set.
I pulled my left side board off the other day and screwed clip mounts underneath for my bamboo gaff. Now the gaff is close at hand, but up off the deck tucked up under the rail, I think it is going to work out really well.
Thanks for the info
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
ful-rac
Emperor

The yak attack rails are the way to go, i mount everything from trap-ease to rod holders fishfinder downrigger...and its all adjustable and quickly removeable.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:

Hey Baja
See this thread on BD , you never know .. Good luck
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/boa...ce-rebate.html
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote