Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2015, 05:17 AM   #21
Fishin' Magician

I always take mine as well as a 2 way walkie talkie so that I can converse with my fishing buddies. The last time I was out, someone called that they say diver fins sticking up out of the water, but could see no movement. This generated an emergency response team to race over. Fortunately, it was only a pair of dive fins, no body attached. But had it been a true emergency, the radio could have saved someones life.

The VHF radio is also great for kayak fishing tournaments like the one OEX puts on in Mission Bay, (great tournament by the way! Can't wait for the next one!). When you catch a fish that needs to be wieghed, you can call in the weigh boat and they'll come over, measure it, weigh it and then tell you that it's short by a 1/4". But I digress.....
Old 07-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #22
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmann View Post
Another inexpensive locating device that you can use is a chem light to make a buzzsaw during darkness. It has a very long range viability especially from the air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zH_dzakIGw
Interesting! i wonder if a regular glo stick from the dollar tree and a string would work almost as well.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
Interesting! i wonder if a regular glo stick from the dollar tree and a string would work almost as well.
In an EMERGENCY, your life might hang in the balance, do you want ALMOST as well? Really?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
HobieScot

Well I tried to revive my old VHF to no avail so it seems that I find myself in the market for a new one.

Can you guys recommend a new brand/model that I should look into. I looked at West Marine today and I was looking on Amazon and it seems that they all seem to have the same basic features. The main difference is price. Ranging anywhere from $70-$300.

Are there any brands to stay away from? Any features that are a must have other than the obvious being waterproof.

Thanks in advance for your help
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:35 AM   #25
fishbullie
Junior

I was looking into this and think the floating feature is one of the best thing to look for. Waterproof doesn't seem to cover the battery area on most units....
fishbullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 AM   #26
Big Wave Dave

I've lost two. I recommend the floating type. One of mine sunk, the other fell off while I was busy gaffing a fish. Didn't notice till much later. I am debating whether or not to buy a third one. If I do, I think I'll duct tape it to the side of my head.
Big Wave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:14 AM   #27
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wave Dave View Post
I've lost two. I recommend the floating type. One of mine sunk, the other fell off while I was busy gaffing a fish. Didn't notice till much later. I am debating whether or not to buy a third one. If I do, I think I'll duct tape it to the side of my head.
I keep mine leashed to the kayak in one of those water proof bags. I Take the radio on all my outings all the time.

Anyone scan channels while NOT fishing? man, my guilty pleasure.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #28
HobieScot

I've never used a VHF for kayaking before, only on boats for emergency purposes.

Is there a Chanel that other kayakers tend to use?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #29
Goose1993

I do.

And is everyone out there at lj on a certain channel to chat?
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #30
Fishin' Magician

Definitely buy one that is waterproof and floats. You never know when or if you'll ever need it in an emergency situation, but it is well worth the investment for pease of mind if for nothing else. You can get one that will work just fine from either West Marine or at Bass Pro Shops for about $100.00. They have some that are more expensive and may have a longer range, but for kayakers, we don't need one that will carry for 50 miles or more.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 PM   #31
mclanea

I have this one: Cobra MRHH500FLTBT - http://amzn.to/1VSpM6c

My wife insists that I carry it when I go out, I can't complain, I like listening to boat traffic when I'm solo.

This model connects to my phone via Bluetooth, as well. I can connect my phone and FF to it, pretty cool to listen to tunes on a long paddle.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #32
JohnMckroidJr

I keep the VHF in a velcro holster attached to the seat. Also have a PLB attached to my lifejacket. If you loose the radio, the PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) is huge peace of mind. Registared for free with the FCC, it sends an encoded msg via satelite to local authorities with a description of your kayak, and they will call the phone #'s that you provide when you registar to confirm it is a real emergency prior to initiating a search. It does not offer the pin point accuracy that one would hope it does, but it is definetly a worthwhile investment in safety if your an offshore kayaker.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-el...ChJxoCk-rw_wcB
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #33
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclanea View Post
I have this one: Cobra MRHH500FLTBT - http://amzn.to/1VSpM6c

My wife insists that I carry it when I go out, I can't complain, I like listening to boat traffic when I'm solo.

This model connects to my phone via Bluetooth, as well. I can connect my phone and FF to it, pretty cool to listen to tunes on a long paddle.
Thanks mclanea!
I just read the reviews and this one seems like a winner! The Bluetooth feature seems like it will be great to have.

I read the reviews and they were all positive except for a few from people using them on boats who said the speaker wasn't loud enough. That won't be an issue on the kayak. I just ordered it and it will be here Tuesday and just in time to go fishing on wednesday.

The one thing it doesn't mention is what type of charger/s it comes with. I've noticed that some come only with a cigarette lighter plug and some come with a standard wall plug. Can you tell me what type of charger ships with this VHF?

Last edited by HobieScot; 08-01-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #34
mclanea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
Thanks mclanea!
I just read the reviews and this one seems like a winner! The Bluetooth feature seems like it will be great to have.

I read the reviews and they were all positive except for a few from people using them on boats who said the speaker wasn't loud enough. That won't be an issue on the kayak. I just ordered it and it will be here Tuesday and just in time to go fishing on wednesday.

The one thing it doesn't mention is what type of charger/s it comes with. I've noticed that some come only with a cigarette lighter plug and some come with a standard wall plug. Can you tell me what type of charger ships with this VHF?
It's loud enough for me, I usually only have it up at like 30% when I'm fishing solo. I like to listen to harbor traffic while I'm out alone.

It has a standard wall plug. It has a stand, I just keep it set up in my garage to recharge. But you can skip the stand and just plug it in if you want. Battery life is crazy long... accidentally left it on overnight a few times and still had a lot of charge.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #35
HobieScot

Thx for the info mclanea

Ya gotta love Amazon. I bought it this morning and it already shipped today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #36
TJones

Radio and personal beacon locator

In case crap really goes south . You can bet your cell phone will let you down when your life is on the line .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #37
TJones

PLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I keep the VHF in a velcro holster attached to the seat. Also have a PLB attached to my lifejacket. If you loose the radio, the PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) is huge peace of mind. Registared for free with the FCC, it sends an encoded msg via satelite to local authorities with a description of your kayak, and they will call the phone #'s that you provide when you registar to confirm it is a real emergency prior to initiating a search. It does not offer the pin point accuracy that one would hope it does, but it is definetly a worthwhile investment in safety if your an offshore kayaker.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/acr-el...ChJxoCk-rw_wcB
Registered to you , when distress signal is sent . You can bet someone is coming asap. Did the price go up ? . Small fee compared to your life .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote