Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
HobieScot

Marine Radio?

I was wondering how many of you take a handheld marine Radio out with you for emergencies? I still have one from when I had my boat but the charger no longer works. I know it would be smart to have one for safety. But I'm curious how many kayak actually take one out with you every time?
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
I was wondering how many of you take a handheld marine Radio out with you for emergencies? I still have one from when I had my boat but the charger no longer works. I know it would be smart to have one for safety. But I'm curious how many kayak actually take one out with you every time?
ME!!!
But then I am 67 and piece of mind is important. I try to get the guys going to Baja with me to carry one, too. Any time you go out something might happen to you or someone else. Better safe than sorry, think of your family with you gone.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
Rambo

I always bring my vhf along and check the battery. It stays full or I would charge it the night before. Safety is always priority when i'm out on the water. It's better to have one in case the what if happens or someone needs help.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Rocketfish

+1 on all these comments. My radio was one of the first things I bought after getting my yak. The one i have is waterproof and it floats (supposedly).

The other cool thing about it is that you can use it on a non-emergency channel to chat with other yakers in the area, because as we all know, once you are even 20 feet away from each other, it's very hard to hear what each other is saying.

I like hearing all the smack talking during an outing with friends LOL.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
RookieYakker

HobieScot, thanks for posting. I've been thinking of buying one too!

What channels do you use to communicate with other yakers or for emergencies? Thanks!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
summers in kuwait

I would agree. I got a radio before a lot of other gear.
I used to not bring it to the bay, just La Jolla, but now I bring it everywhere. You never know if or when you'll need it for yourself or another.
I primarily use 69, but daydream about about Cortez & Tanner Bank when I tune into 72. Channels
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
spicolly

Great Thread!

I want to buy one...and am a cheap bastage according to my wife. Any brands you would recommend? Is online the best way to buy? Thanks!!!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
What kind of radio is it? I have an extra standard horizon charger.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
HobieScot

It's older, let me pull it out and see if I can get a make and model number for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
monstahfish

I take mine too. I also carry a personal locator beacon in my pfd pocket. I used to keep hand flares in my tackle box too but haven't done that for a while.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
HobieScot

Thank you Octico, the brand says Seafit. I believe I bought it at West Marine (can't remember for sure but that's where I bought almost everything for my boat back then so it's a good guess) probably 5-10 years ago. It had a charger base that it sat in to charge.

It hasn't been used in a long time so I am not sure it still works. I'd have to charge it to find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (108.9 KB, 270 views)
Old 07-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Right after my PFG, my next purchase was a quality VHF radio (Standard Horizon HX851 and even though it's waterproof and floats I also bought an Aqua-Pack w/p sack to ensure floatation).
After reading some of the threads about the use of a cell/radio, it dawned on me when someone pointed out that cell service can be sketchy on the water and that there are no cell towers on the water!
Although a top line VHF will not guarantee safety, there's a better chance of someone hearing your call for help on a radio.
Did you hear about that lone Kayaker lost for about 16 hours out of Ventura? I'm pretty sure someone would have heard him on a radio if he had carried one, with all the day boats, twilight, overnight, etc. coming in and departing the harbor.
A flare gun is next on my wish list.
Just my thoughts/observations.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 07-14-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Grammatical check.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
jorluivil

I've said this a million times......whatever radio you get try to find one that has the external mic connection, you'll thank me later

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I've said this a million times......whatever radio you get try to find one that has the external mic connection, you'll thank me later
I've heard you ball bust out there.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
TroutBum

I take one! Peace of mind.
TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #16
Molten Furnace
Junior

I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Molten Furnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:03 PM   #17
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I've heard you ball bust out there.

You must gots me confused with those team sewer guys........them a bunch of lame ass foo's

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #18
Redeyejedi

mine just arrived today, reading through manual.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #19
FISH11

I always take mine. A cell phone will only work when it's dry. If you end up in the water, you won't be able to call for help on your cell phone.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:00 PM   #20
Batmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
I take mine too. I also carry a personal locator beacon in my pfd pocket. I used to keep hand flares in my tackle box too but haven't done that for a while.
I am curious. Can you please post a link to the PLB that you are using.

I use the following radio with good results. Get the extended warranty, they go on sale all the time. It has tri-watch so I usually monitor CH 16, 9 and 69 or 70 depending on the fishing chatter that day without missing any emergency traffic.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...adio--14078562

Another inexpensive locating device that you can use is a chem light to make a buzzsaw during darkness. It has a very long range viability especially from the air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zH_dzakIGw

Think of it as a PACE plan.

Primary - VHF radio
Alternate - PLB
Contingency - Whistle/Cellphone
Emergency - Chemlight/Strobe
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote