Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
HobieScot

Pro Angler 12 or 14?

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a pro angler. I was planning on buyin a 12 simply because that's what I'm used to with the outback and it will be easier to transport.

I have seen some killer deals on used 14's and I really don't see the 12's for sale much.

My question is this....
What are the advantages of the 14? For me the additional length seems more like a disadvantage for storage and transportation.

What are the main differences between the two?
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
ToroBravo
Junior

You should test drive both models and give US a report.
You would know the pros and cons of each boat.
ToroBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
HobieScot

I have tested the 12 at the Fred Hall show and I loved it. I just don't see many of the 12's coming up for sale used. I do however see a bunch of the 14's. I've never seen a 14 in person.

So I was hoping to hear from someone that has tried or owned both to get thier thoughts on it. Hopefully there is someone that went from a 12 to a 14 and can let me know the differences
Old 07-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

I've test drived the Outback,PA12 ,PA14 and Revolution 13. The Revolution is by far the fastest, but at the cost of stability. Surprisinlgly I could not get much more speed out of an Outback over the PA's. The PA's are more stable, but at the cost of extra bulk and hauling weight. I like to bring the kitchen sink, so the PA14 is optimal. It has 6 rod tubes instead of 4, and an extra 100lbs capacity for the big catch. The PA14 is 20" longer, 2" wider and 15lbs heavier than the PA12. In exchange, it gives me a slightly better feeling of security when offshore kayak fishing. If your a small person, the PA12 might be a better choice. Hope you get to test them out before making the purchase, good luck.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

If your gonna get a PA, get the 14. Not much heavier, not much longer, not that more expensive. The 14 is a hell of a lot more stable, and for not being that much longer there's a lot more room because it's much deeper. The 14 will track much better and is a lot less aggravating trying to drag a bait.

Otherwise if you want to get a PA12....just get an outback.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

If you get an older PA14, buy the larger rudder. It is a hassle when unloading the kayak(because it sticks out, and needs to be shielded), but offers a huge improvement in tracking while on the water.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #7
HobieScot

Thanks for the info guys.

I was leaning towards the 12 because it would be easier to transport in the back of my Avalanche. I can put my outback in the bed and transport it without having to use a bed extender. Plus I'm not a large guy at 5.9/165 so the 12 just seemed easier for me to deal with.

But now I'm seriously thinking about the 14.

Since I'm looking at used PA's because I can get a lot more bang for my buck and end up with some of the accessories I would still need to buy if I bought new I do have a question about the differences between the years.

I really like the idea of the H-rail system. What years does that come on? I tried to get the info off the hobie website but they only provide the current model info.

What are the other main differences between the model years that I need to know before I buy?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
flemdogg
Island Blood

2012 - PA 12 introduced with the vantage seat and Lowrance ready, PA 14 still has the older seat/center hatch

2013 - PA 12/PA 14 both have vantage seats, Lowrance ready, and flat deck center hatch

2014 - Same stuff with the addition of rudder tension control

2015 - Addition of Skeg, H-rail, and Glide Technology Mirage Drive

Probably missed a few minor additions and subtractions, but those are the major ticket items.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #9
jorluivil

I like the PA14 because of the roomyness that it has and the fact that I can sleep on it while fishing.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemdogg View Post
2012 - PA 12 introduced with the vantage seat and Lowrance ready, PA 14 still has the older seat/center hatch

2013 - PA 12/PA 14 both have vantage seats, Lowrance ready, and flat deck center hatch

2014 - Same stuff with the addition of rudder tension control

2015 - Addition of Skeg, H-rail, and Glide Technology Mirage Drive

Probably missed a few minor additions and subtractions, but those are the major ticket items.
Thanks flemdogg that's exactly what I was looking for

The two features I really like on the 15 are the skegg and the h-rail system. But with all the add ons it will be close to a $4k yak when I'm done!

I already had Andy do the mirage upgrade on my drive. I just don't know if it would fit on the newer PA's. I have the first gen original drive that came with the Hank Parker edition so I don't think it would fit.

I believe all PA's have the ability to control the rudder from either side. Is that correct? That is a huge plus. Having to switch hands with the rod to use my left hand to make a minor correction while I'm fishing is a pain. So being able to control the rudder with my right hand and continue fishing will be a welcome change.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post

I believe all PA's have the ability to control the rudder from either side. Is that correct?
I have the 2014 PA14, and yeah, it has ruddar control on both sides...but had to buy a larger steering lever for the right control station. The 2014 version has a more comfortable vantage chair than the previous models.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Goose1993

14 foot
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I have the 2014 PA14, and yeah, it has ruddar control on both sides...but had to buy a larger steering lever for the right control station. The 2014 version has a more comfortable vantage chair than the previous models.
I just watched a hobie video and it showed both the little stubby secondary steering nub and the larger primary one. They are interchangeable and can be placed on either side. Since I hold my pole in my left I will put the primary on the right.

I wish this was a feature on all hobies
Old 08-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
HobieScot

I have another question. What length of rod can fit in the rod holders that run along the side of the kayak on the 12 and the 14? I can't seem to find that info on the hobie site. It just says the 12 holds 4 and the 14 holds 6. But to it doesn't give lengths.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #15
ful-rac
Emperor

As long as you want...it'll just stick out the back
Old 08-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #16
HobieScot

Sweet
Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2015, 06:43 PM   #17
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
I have another question. What length of rod can fit in the rod holders that run along the side of the kayak on the 12 and the 14? I can't seem to find that info on the hobie site. It just says the 12 holds 4 and the 14 holds 6. But to it doesn't give lengths.
The PA14 comfortably holds rods up to 8ft, you can go longer, but they start sticking out behind the seat, which might interfere with other stuff on your kayak.

Another thing to consider is that the rod holder tubes are hard on the rod guides. Not uncommon to bend and knock the inner rings out of ceramic type guides. Fortunately, I wrap my own rods... have started using solid ring guides that have a center post to avoid knocking the rings off.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
jpp9565

I carry my xfactor in my Avalanche with no problems and its a bit over 14'
jpp9565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #19
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp9565 View Post
I carry my xfactor in my Avalanche with no problems and its a bit over 14'

Do you put the mid gate down so you have the full 8 foot bed or do you leave it up so you still have use of the back seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #20
Rufus

If you can find a legacy PA14 with the sofa seat, go for it.

I've tried my son's 14 with the newer style seat...no thanks. I can hang mt legs off either side with the old style seat, slide in and out easily, etc.

Dont need all the new fancy rails, center board and crap. Just costs more money, doesn't catch any more fish, only fishermen.

Sometimes simpler is better.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote