Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Hoopnet Mending

2 weeks ago I accidentally caught a hoopnet while fishing for halibut. The net was pretty fouled with growth, it looked like it had been down there for awhile, I decided to save it. Iv'e been wanting to learn how to fix my own hoops for years now, ever since I started hooping and got my first hole in the net probably from a shark or eel...

So I cleaned the sucker up and washed and scraped off most of the gunk that had grown on it. I found that, from just sitting in the sand some of the netting had just worn down and was getting ready to go. Just from pulling on the netting with my fingers it was enough to rip in several different spots.

Curious as to if I could learn how to mend a net easily...I acquired a net needle or also known as a shuttle, did a little bit of online research and found the repairing process is pretty simple, there really is nothing to it. So with a needle and some twine you could easily repair all your hoops practically forever. So while I was trying to figure out the correct size of the seine twine I needed to effect a good repair. I decided to practice on the recovered hoopnet, which had a pretty significant hole at this point. Got some home depot mason twine and used that for practice while I waited on the seine twine from amazon.

So after having given it a practice run, I was ready to do it with the seine twine. So after waiting on the mailman for a few days...I finally get to put it to use. I think it came out pretty good?

Back in Service!

So the following week I asked around if anybody had a ripped net I could repair...and there sure was...Andy had a net with a hole in it big enough to stick your whole arm through. So I offered to fix the holes for him for fun...and he was happy to let me fix them for him...I noticed that he already had a other holes that were zip tied closed, and some other spots where he tried to close holes with spectra. I fixed'm all up...

Back in Service!
Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
slobound

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Zed
BANNED

Skills to pay the bills.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
battleborn

Awesome work. How long did it take to do a hoop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleborn View Post
Awesome work. How long did it take to do a hoop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Believe it or not just a few minutes...
Old 10-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
cabojohn
PROBATION

Niiice Tony.
Net looks great.
Well done.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
krusty
Junior

Very nice! What size seine twine did you use for the repair? And is the seine twine tarred?
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
Very nice! What size seine twine did you use for the repair? And is the seine twine tarred?
You can use anywhere from #18 which is thin - to #22 which is a bit heavier. Yes the seine twine is tarred.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
Wyota

Nice Work--Best link to repair process?

Nice work, I now plan to try and repair a couple of my flat nets.

You mentioned doing some research to find it a simple process. Do you have a link to recommend as best to see/learn the process as you did?

Thanks
Wyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #10
Vikingj

Wow, I'm impressed! I could never find net replacements so attempted to mend what I could w dental floss and zip ties (not recommended!). Thanks for report. I'd also be interested in links you used.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Here's the main video that I used

You have to watch it again and again and pay attention to what he's doing. He's kind of hard to understand due to the accent and all but study it and you should be able to figure it out. It's really not that complicated at all, you just need a simple cheap tool. You can get a net needle for like...$ 5 bucks or a pack of them for 10 or 15 bucks on amazon. You could even make your own...

Old 11-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #12
Wyota

North Yorkshire Accent

Thanks for the video. You're right, you have to watch it several times because of the speed.

Spent 3 years stationed just down the road from where they are at, so I can actually understand the broad Yorkshire accent he has.
Wyota is offline   Reply With Quote