Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
EastLosYaker

LJ Rook

Any general advice, tips, or things to be aware of for a first timer fishing LJ kelp who will not be using live bait? I know,I know, you were all about to tell me how important it is to be using greenies. I was planning on hitting the outside edge of the kelp trolling rapalas, drop shotting plastics, throwing swim baits and yo yoing iron. Sound about right to you LJ vets?
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
ctfphoto

Use live greenbacks
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Cbad Mike

I've had fun with swim baits and plastic on the edge and in the kelp. Lots of bass in there.
I don't think there is a more fun way to hook a YT than on an iron but I've made the mistake of using one too close to the edge many times and have lost a lot of irons.
The edge of the kelp is a place that I kinda shy away from because it's so easy to get snagged.
My advice..... Pick what you want to fish for. If it's Bass than hang out in and around the kelp. If you want to go for YT on an iron then move further outside the edge.
Good luck.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Dannowar

Don't get audited by the tax man
Old 06-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
FISH11

Like Mike said if you want Bass use plastics rigged weedless in the openings in the kelp. If you want Yellows without using bait, then use a Yo Yo Iron outside the kelp. Really important is to use 65lb braid and 40lb flouro leader. That way if you get stuck in the kelp, you can get your Iron or fish back. If your stuck, get over the kelp you're stuck on and use a rod holder or rod holder extension to wrap the line around several times than use it as a handle to pull your line up. It will break the Iron or lure loose from the kelp. If you try to use your pole you can't put the same pressure and are likely to break the rod tip. Been there, done that. If you're a rook, fish with a buddy. Be safe. Good luck
Old 06-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Widgeon

Yeah.
What Cbad Mike and Fish11 said.
Great advise.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #7
Mahigeer

I barrowed this idea from Ebay and improved it. The unit tied to a heavier mason line (right side of picture), and added a hook at the end of the chain.
>>

It works on rigs with lures and treble hooks.
The snap swivels clip over the main line with chains toward the lure. The sinkers make it possible for the device to sink and go to the lure similar to a zip-line.
When the device reaches the lure the mason line is yanked to flutter the chains. The chains snag the treble hook and with the strength of the mason line, the lure is recovered.

I have used it many times at the Catalina Mole while fishing in the kelp.
Not hard to make.

The picture shows a big float that I was using and I was able to rescue it with addition of a split ring.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
EastLosYaker

Thanks for all the tips gents. I'm treating tomorrow as an exploratory mission. Hopefully something to learn from and build off of.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote