Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
yotasan

PA or Zodiac?

BWE familia,

Got a little issue here. A friend of mine is in a little pickle.. Here's what he has to say:

" The problem I have is launching on exposed beach breaks near my house where we often get short period sets in the 2’ to 4’ range. Despite what my buddy told me, it DOES NOT launch well in these conditions. Never had a problem when there’s a break between sets but that’s not always the case, I want to go no matter what the conditions are!!!

I don’t know, I’m having a lot of mixed thoughts about it and ’m not 100% convinced on selling it but probably would for a decent offer. I’m starting to think a Zodiac / inflatable might be better suited for my intended use. What do you think? Do you think there’s a fishing kayak out there that would handle my surf conditions better or is that just too much to ask a kayak loaded with gear to handle? "

Ok guys, what do you think? Being a REVO guy my self, I suggested give the REVO a try. Any suggestions out there.
yotasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

I would say the revo gets the knod from me as well. Prangler is not going to be fun to launch in 2-4 ft waves.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
TCS

Adventure

Handles surf well when pointed at the beach as well.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
bubblehide

I used to use Zodiacs a lot back in the day. They can be damn nice, but they can also be a whole lot of maintenance; not just the motor, as you have to consider that there still a ridged floor rubber boat. They don't always handle sharp things like hooks well, and then there is the wear of beach launching and landing; you'll be patching her in no time at all, and the patch simply wont hold if you anything less than a totally professional job. If you want to get more mileage out of her, simply stay away from or limit the beach launches and landings

Then I'll add that beach launching and landing is not always an easy task, and as were all aware, conditions can change very fast, making way for accidents, i.e., capsizing in the surf. Thus, your not just risking your gear, your also risking a very expensive outboard. If your buddy gets the Zodiac, I'd highly recommend that he find and take a Coasty course that includes such use and experiences.

I can't speak for SD county, but up here in LA county, it is not legal to launch nor land a motorized boat from the public beaches, just one more thing to consider.

But given my choice, I'd go with both, as it's always better to have options.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote