Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

A La Jolla Fishing Tale

We all know that there are NO FISH IN LA JOLLA, so I thought I would write a fictional account of what might have happened today if I had gone fishing. For the sake of realism, I will pull the names for the cast of fictional characters from the list of some of the regulars who visit this forum. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead is coincidental.

Since I am telling the story, the narrator will be me, sometimes known as Bob. The story needs a handsome Mediterranean guy so I will call him Yani. Other characters include Dave, sometimes known as Driftwood and a couple newbies I will call the Ryan Brothers.

Remember, this is a totally fictional tale but to make the reading interesting, I have included some photos that may have been enhanced with a few Photoshop techniques... maybe not.

So here is the story. I have not been very successful on my last few fishing adventures. My wife was having her book club over for lunch today and I was told to make myself scarce. Going fishing seemed like the appropriate thing to do so after I took care of the morning’s important business stuff, I headed to the launch.

I did not get on the water until after 9:00 and the place was empty. I saw one recently landed kayak that had blood on the deck but otherwise no evidence of fish. The owner was nowhere to be found so I geared up and headed out, looking forward to the day’s adventure. The launch was easy but I quickly noticed that the Red Tide had taken a firm hold on the area. As I peddled out, it got worse. It looked like I was traveling down the muddy Mississippi.

Most of the kelp had been swallowed up by the Red Tide so I kept peddling west. At about 85 feet, the water cleared and became that beautiful blue-green color that we know often holds some fish. I began to make bait. The bait was small and a mixture of greenbacks and Spanish but they looked healthy so I filled my tank.

Just as I unhooked my last bait and dropped it into the tank, the water around me exploded. Others have told me about this but I had never experienced it in person. I was in a football field size feeding frenzy. Dozens, probably hundreds of Yellowtail were crashing bait on all sides of me. I had not yet put bait in the water so I grabbed my jig stick and let the iron fly.
Within seconds, on my first cast, I was hooked up.

This was my first fish on a surface iron. The fish was pissed and immediately headed for the kelp. I tried to peddle out of range but the fish had other ideas. I fought the tough fight for about ten minutes but the fish made it to the kelp and got good and stuck.

My jig setup has mono. I could not hope to rely on the kelp cutting capability of Spectra so I tried something else. I pulled on the fish close to the breaking point of the line and then let up. When I did, the fish started to swim away. I reeled the slack back in only to be stuck again. I repeated this technique for about half an hour until suddenly I saw color. The fish was spent so I gently reeled him to my yak.

I know it was a dumb move but for some reason, I did not want to stick this beautiful tired fish with the gaff. I reached for the gills, planning to just lift the fish onboard. Bad decision. When the fish felt my touch he pulled away and the hook came free. As this beauty swam slowly away, I thought of how to spin this event so I would not look like a dufus. Catch and Release! That’s what I did. And when I got home, I hugged a tree.

Well, at least I had bait. I pinned one on and started trolling. Since I was supposed to be working, I decided to take a few minutes to check my messages and return some phone calls. I was about to leave a message for some customer who had called in when my reel started screaming. I mean really screaming… louder and faster than I had ever experienced before.

I hung up mid-message and started working the fish. This guy was really moving. I had a sleigh ride like never before. The good news was that I was far from the kelp and this fish was hooked on my 65 lb spectra setup. I could wait him out.

Eventually, I landed this fish without incident. Now what? My Revo does not have many places to store a fish. The best place is in the stern behind the bait tank but there is no way I could strap a fish down by myself without flipping the kayak. I scanned the horizon and saw a couple of guys about a half mile away.

I peddled over to one of the yaks and recognized Yani. With his help, my fish was securely bungeed to my yak. Yani and his fishing partner for the day Dave, had not had any luck so far. Maybe I was the good luck charm or maybe it was just time for these guys to get some love but within a few minutes of joining these guys, Dave hooked up. It was a nice YT, about the size of mine, (18 lbs).

As Yani and I congratulated Dave on his great fishing skills, Yani hooked up as well. It was another 18 pounder but according to Yani, it fought like something much bigger.

Name:  Yani-1.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  Yani-2.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  86.1 KB

And so the day went. Nearly everyone I saw on the water this day had a fish.

It was getting late and my wife’s book club meeting was over so I prepared to head in. Just then I saw a couple of guys in a tandem hooked up. I peddled over to see what was going on and got there just as they gaffed another nice YT.

These were the Ryan brothers, whom I had not met before. One brother had caught a Yellowtail earlier in the day. This fish was caught by the other brother. Both fish were firsts for these guys from a kayak.

Now the story gets a bit weird. As I circled their yak snapping photos of their trophy, the boys were nearly overcome with joy, high fiving and snapping photos of their latest catch. It was a great moment. And then it happened.

Name:  Brothers-1.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  Brothers-2.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  110.5 KB

I watched it happen and am still not quite sure what caused it. Within a few seconds of the last photo that I took, their kayak was upside down. Everyone and everything was in the water. I peddled over as quickly as I could and grabbed whatever I could find floating. Unfortunately, the only things floating, other than the brothers were some empty beer cans.

When I met the guys on the beach they told me that they had tallied up their equipment losses for the day. Five rods and reels, a bunch of tackle a camera and who knows what else. The total came to about $2000. They even lost the beautiful fish that they were celebrating. All that remains are the photos that I took.

Thus ends this probably fictional tale of a day on the water off La Jolla. It could have happened just as I told it but then everyone knows that there are no fish in La Jolla.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
GunWall Flint
Junior

seems like today was the day to be on the water.!

New moon=FISH
New moon=FISH
New moon=FISH
GunWall Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Alleged Fish!

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

now that was a good tail. good stuff but i thought every fairy tale ended with a happy ending jeez that story made me cry. sry bros better luck next time
see you all out there
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Dan

sad sad sad. they look so stoked in the photos.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
cowboybill

good story

Congrats, and nice story! I really enjoyed the read!
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
toby

Wow Bob! Not only are you a great inventor-engineer, your a John Steinbeck. That was a good read.
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
roadx

great read, terrible ending

Yani if that's your real name LOL what size yak do you have?, i just picked up an old cobra xl 11'7 and now that i see you out there at LJ in your littler yak im not so scared to go out on a calm day. will the old xl do ok? and at what swell would you say is to big for a rookie?
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Hunters Pa

Great photoshop of the fictional characters to support the completely made up story. I bet the flippers wish it was even more fictional.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
dfroggy54
Rolly

man... that was a twist ending. Great read! Nice YT even though they were photoshopped HAHA
dfroggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
T Bone

I am working on a fictional tale (TAIL!)for next week after work...

Good story writing....

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Wow Bob! Not only are you a great inventor-engineer, your a John Steinbeck. That was a good read.

Steinbeck no. Hemminway, now their was a great fisherm ummm writer
tacmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:53 PM   #13
Whizz Bang

Great write up. The place is gonna be a parking lot tomorrow.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #14
driftwood

That was a fun day Bob. Thanks for reminding me.

Gabe.

Name:  yt_14may2010.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  48.4 KB

Last edited by driftwood; 05-16-2010 at 06:50 AM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #15
toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Steinbeck no. Hemminway, now their was a great fisherm ummm writer

I was wondering if I got that right. Thanks tacmik!
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #16
blitzburgh

Great post Bob!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
theluckypig

am i the only evil dude that wants to see the itw pics... hehe... maybe it's the crowd i fish with, but they/i would have taken the pics... great story, sorry about the gear
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #18
yani

Bob,

You saved my day.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckypig View Post
am i the only evil dude that wants to see the itw pics... hehe... maybe it's the crowd i fish with, but they/i would have taken the pics... great story, sorry about the gear
\

All I saw was an upside down tandum gray kayak with a bunch of empty budwiser beers cans floating all aournd. 10 seconds later, two heads come popping-up out of the water.

both guys had a good attitude about it and told me they had a little too much to drink. They thanked me for not taking any pictures.

I felt real bad for them cause i had met them 15 minutes before they flipped and they were stoked about their 2nd Y.T. hook up.

These two are the nicest guys you could ever meet and I am sorry they lost all their gear and a large Y.T.

Last edited by driftwood; 05-16-2010 at 07:54 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #20
kayakflipper
Junior

too kind...

I don't know how it happened!

Was it that we pushed our luck with 2 full grown men + 2 fat YT in one tiny boat- no way...

Was it the 12 pack we polished off before noon?- yeah right...

A possibly foolish move to think I could turn completely around in that boat with that fish for the perfect picture?- could do it in my sleep...

Anyone going to back me up on the rogue wave that passed through Friday?

Oh well, crappy ending to an absolutely amazing day- had 3 YT on, 2 in the boat, 1 home... Bob is a kind soul to have kept that story as tame as he did (and to not have taken the ITW pics- still can't believe he resisted...)

Down, but definitely not out-

Mike
kayakflipper is offline   Reply With Quote