Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Irishman

Revolution or outback

Am looking used, which one would the masses advise purchasing
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
joezee1986

Outback....wider, more stable unless your looking to pedal paddle faster the Revo is more narrow and is a bit faster but as far as deck space being able to move around a bit.. Outback is where it's at plus I'll sell you mine if your interested haha
joezee1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
619-SWIM-DOG

I have used both for fishing. I had the revolution for 3 years and fished hard on it and I now have an outback. The outback is hands down better.

Last edited by 619-SWIM-DOG; 09-04-2014 at 06:11 AM.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
bmercury

Try both before you decide. Each fisherman has their own preference. I ended up getting the revo.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
octico

I am looking to sell of my Revo. I have tried both, the Revo is fast and stable, but I am wide guy. I like the Outback because of the pockets and wider profile (for my wide hips) so I am going to get an outback.

If are interested in buying one PM me, I will give you a smoking deal.

Last edited by octico; 09-04-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: incoherence
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
bubblehide

The biggest difference between the two will be stability and effort towards propulsion. The Revo takes less effort, it's noticeable, more so when paddling long distances. But hey, they are both pedal yaks, so your level of need for stability will likely be the deciding factor.

From my experience, I really do not like Hobie's hull designs. Their primary concern is that of stability, with performance completely sacrificed. The outback's hull performance is by fR worse. What do I mean, well, try paddling them both without the rudder down, you'll likely go in circles. It complicates beach launches and landings. And, if you do leave your rudder down, it exposes it to damage. So, if you do not have yak surfing, in the surf down, you would benefit from a class, as leaning the right way, and or putting your paddle in on the proper side, makes the difference between a yard sale, or not.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
Wintersun
Junior

I tried both out on SF Bay and ended up with the Revo 13. The Outback is like a junior PA12. The Outback is wider and slower but the extra width is good for large folks and the side trays are handy for putting things while changing tackle, etc.

If I bought an Outback I would spend another $120 to get the PA12 rectangular hatch kit and the rack for Plano boxes. With this modification the Outback is better for fishing in place.

I went with the Revo 13 as it is better for paddling in and out of the surf and better for sailing and I was not too concerned about not having the side trays. There was a lot of hull slap on the Outback as well and I found it annoying. It is the only kayak where I have experienced this.

The Revo being narrower and lighter is also easier for me to handle when hauling it down a trail or even getting it up on the roof rack on my truck which is 7 feet off the ground. Some people add a couple of straps on the Outback at the centerline on each side of the seat and this helps.

I think the further you go offshore the more advantageous the Revo 13 and vice versa.

Try them both before deciding. Some people have both and use them for different situations and I can see why they would do so.
Wintersun is offline   Reply With Quote