Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
fisher2
Junior

hey all

i just got a kayak its not anything special its a old town otter im o the east coast i fish fresh water i joined here because its hard to find anything about yak fishing for east coast and i plan on moving to cali eventallyim 15 my names eric and yea im from kingston ny on the hudson river is my yak terrtitory

any tips on how to make this leasure yak into a fishing yak would be helpful thank you and good morning sence its 1;46am there
fisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Cheers.

I'd start with basics.

Flush mount rod holders, two at least.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-Holder/Detail

Leashes for your rods.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...d-Leash/Detail

Padeyes to tie off leashes.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-strong/Detail
Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #3
TheSherThang

Safety Equipment:

Bilge Pump
PFD
Paddle Leash

Fishing Equipment:
Sonar (Fish Finder)
Drift Sock
Gaff
Rod Holders
Bait Tank

Always more you can do
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
fisher2
Junior

im a little paranoid of drilling holes in it whould there be anyway to get around drilling holes im new to boating in genral so i thik hole=sink even with all the foam in it
Old 07-26-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Willy

Yeah, there are ways around drilling holes in the boat, but you'll need to be creative. Here are 2 methods:

I rent my yaks from the Marine Corps, so I can't really drill holes into them, but I get them almost every weekend, so I do need pole holders.

1. So I've devised a PVC pipe pole holding system that I insert into the scupper holes in the kayak. Those are the holes that go through the yak to allow the water to drain out and keep the yak balanced. The thing looks like an "H" with small pipes to fit down into the drain holes, and then it forks up like deer antlers at the top with 4-2 inch wide tubes going up about 11 inches for my poles, net, gaff and the like. I just got crafty with the fittings for different PVC pipes at the hardware store to put the thing together. Here is a pic:
La Jolla Kelpin'.jpg

2. Another option is to use a milk crate. You can cut 2 inch diameter PVC pipes to about 11 inches long, and use hose clamps to attach them vertically to the inside corners of the milk crate. Then lash the crate behind you to the deck of the yak, and use the pipes as pole holders. The crate also comes in handy for storing xtra stuff. This method gets a little top heavy, which will affect your balance going into and out of the surf, like we do here in California. But in rivers and bays and such it's manageable, provided you secure it well enough. Like this:
cowboy clay fishin LJ.jpg

Hope this helps.

Willy

Last edited by Willy; 07-26-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added photos
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
fisher2
Junior

i have a sik with no features i have the hole i sit in and thats it no elastic tiedowns or anything its pretty cramped on space