Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
dbxwanderer
Junior

Staying Warm in the Pacific

Hi Everyone,
I'm just starting out on kayak fishing... I've got pretty much everything I need to get started... except for the most important thing.

Proper Wear.

I've been reading around online and I'm getting different advice... Dry Suits, Wet Suits, Farmer John Wet Suits, Rain Coats, Etc Etc.

At the moment i'm leaning towards a farmer john wet suit.
I won't lie, I am very vulnerable to cold and feel it harder then most (though I can handle heat no problem!).

If i'm paddling in the ocean, what would you recommend?
Thanks,
dbxwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

wet suits are designed to keep warmth in you while in the water, out of the water not so much. Most guys will be wearing breathable waders, you can even wear wool socks under these, sweat pants any layers. I like the Stohlquist Treads paddle pants and some booties. The Kokatat dry pants are good ones too
Old 11-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
. I like the Stohlquist Treads paddle pants and some booties.
This works great for me.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
Saba Slayer

Size ?

" I like the Stohlquist Treads paddle pants and some booties."
How do the sizes run on the Stohlquist pants? What size do you wear Andy?

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
maquinapescado

Fly fishing waders

These in my opinion are the way to go if you know you can get out without falling in the water. If you are in a PA, I imagine you can paddle out in a wet-suit and then change while you are out there if you are putting in a long session.

With email deal flyers these are $130 and there are cheaper options, these are just nice. I have the Redington ones, super nice. Since I fly fish I have boots that go with them, but you can just get shoes that are a size bigger.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pat...colorFamily=01
Old 11-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
Aznronin

Just remember, make sure you keep your pants and dry tops waterproof by using the waterproofing chemical treatments after you've owned them for awhile. They don't stay dry forever and the treatments do work.
Aznronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

Chest waders for me. Make sure the belts tight enough to not let in too much water in case of flipping. Friend of mine almost died once when his waders were filling with water. Not good.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Chest waders for me. Make sure the belts tight enough to not let in too much water in case of flipping. Friend of mine almost died once when his waders were filling with water. Not good.
I went for a mile long ride in the Rogue River with my belt cinched down.

As far as water proofing, I have over seven years into a pair of Redington waders and they are dry as ever. Quality goes a long way. They are on their way out, but I got my $150 worth for sure. Don't skimp.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
SMartin

I use a dry suit with rash guard underneath in the cooler weather. I did a six day sea kayaking trip in Washington State a couple months ago and a farmer john wetsuit with rash guard top and dry top were perfect. Staying warm is an individual thing so you may need to layer more. I am always hot so, less is more for me. Good luck in your endeavors.
SMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
dbxwanderer
Junior

Thanks for the great advice.
I went with the Stohlquist Treads Paddling Pants and Jacket. Hopefully combined with some sweat pants, neoprene boots, and a shirt, I should stay warm enough. I figure a beanie should be good for head warmth, anything for hands? or not necessary?
dbxwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #11
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbxwanderer View Post
Thanks for the great advice.
I went with the Stohlquist Treads Paddling Pants and Jacket. Hopefully combined with some sweat pants, neoprene boots, and a shirt, I should stay warm enough. I figure a beanie should be good for head warmth, anything for hands? or not necessary?
I got some gloves just to keep from chafing my hands on long paddling sessions. Not sure if you're paddling or pedaling, but I think think gloves are a nice touch either way.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:46 PM   #12
PescadorPete

I'm a cold weather weenie. So for me, Kokatat pants with polyester sweatpants (no cotton!), smart wool socks and light weight dive booties. On top is a polypro rash guard, polyester fleece sweatshirt and Kokatat splash jacket. Wool watch cap. I can peel off the layers as needed. I haven't felt the need for gloves. Keeps me toasty warm at 0:dark:30 waiting for the to bite. Oh, and a few granola bars keep the internal furnace burning.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:36 PM   #13
beef78
Large Member

Dress so you will survive in the water and above it. I tried a wetsuit and it was either too hot or too cold above the water. When it was hot out, I was sweating. When it was windy or cold, I was freezing. I would have been perfect if I fell on the water, but more susceptible to heat/cold injury when paddling 10 plus miles in hot or cold weather. If you opt for waders, wear a dry top with them if the water is really cold. In Southern California, you should be fine most of the year with just splash pants and spray top or waders with a rain coat. What most people will tell you is to buy the best survival/ most comfortable gear you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #14
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

So I started kayak fishing in the Great Lake around Wisconsin and Michigan , and once you get past September in Lake Michigan, you need to stay dry, with water temps in the 50's the bass , and trout really start to bite, but if you fall out you may not have much time before you succumb to hypothermia. So immersion gear became very important, not having hundreds of dollars to spend on a dry suit I improvised. I use chest waders and a dry jacket with a rubber or neoprene gasket at the sleeves waist and neck. This combo served me well in the chilly midwest and pretty much year round in the Pacific Northwest, where water temps usually never make it over mid 60's even in mid summer. I flipped a few times coming in after fishing for lings/rockfish and stayed dry and toasted, but most importantly I stayed dry and toasty after taking a few waves over the bow while launching. Jim Sammons has a couple of good videos on you tube about staying dry while wearing the same combo, also you get to see Jim jump into a pool while wearing just waders to illustrate why a belt is so important. Stay warm , safe and dry out there, Also remember to bring a waterproof radio, despite all the immersion gear, and pfd, if you get separated from your kayak, that radio may be the only thing that saves you. Not trying to scare, just be prepared. My motto is that its always better to have and not need than to need and not have...

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:03 AM   #15
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak_Bernie View Post
So I started kayak fishing in the Great Lake around Wisconsin and Michigan , and once you get past September in Lake Michigan, you need to stay dry, with water temps in the 50's the bass , and trout really start to bite, but if you fall out you may not have much time before you succumb to hypothermia. So immersion gear became very important, not having hundreds of dollars to spend on a dry suit I improvised. I use chest waders and a dry jacket with a rubber or neoprene gasket at the sleeves waist and neck. This combo served me well in the chilly midwest and pretty much year round in the Pacific Northwest, where water temps usually never make it over mid 60's even in mid summer. I flipped a few times coming in after fishing for lings/rockfish and stayed dry and toasted, but most importantly I stayed dry and toasty after taking a few waves over the bow while launching. Jim Sammons has a couple of good videos on you tube about staying dry while wearing the same combo, also you get to see Jim jump into a pool while wearing just waders to illustrate why a belt is so important. Stay warm , safe and dry out there, Also remember to bring a waterproof radio, despite all the immersion gear, and pfd, if you get separated from your kayak, that radio may be the only thing that saves you. Not trying to scare, just be prepared. My motto is that its always better to have and not need than to need and not have...
Nice! So you fished the great Lakes for bass and trout, but what about the walleye? Best tasting fresh water fish imo! They remind me of like a fresh water smaller cousin of lingcod with the way they look.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #16
goletaslim
Junior

Listed above were semi dry pants, how does that fare launching in the surf? I rarely if ever get to launch in waters without having to get at least knee deep.

My winter setup is the wetsuit route with a splash jacket and was curious to the splash pant option.

Thanks for the info already posted in this thread.
goletaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #17
Rufus

Damn, there's a lot of cold folks out there! In San Diego, I wear shorts every trip; I have a lot of meat on my bones. If it's cold, I put on a jacket. If it's wet and blowing, I put on a raincoat jacket.

And water socks, those shoe-like things that let water drain out of them. I wear those, better than flaps.

That's it. I don't plan on falling out of my PA. Been four years and hundreds to trips. But I don't go out when it sucks. That's for the young guys.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:11 PM   #18
goletaslim
Junior

Gotta rub the San Diego weather in my my face! Haha. It gets pretty cold in Santa Barbara during the winter and early spring.
goletaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #19
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by goletaslim View Post
Gotta rub the San Diego weather in my my face! Haha. It gets pretty cold in Santa Barbara during the winter and early spring.
I fished San Diego today and was glad I had paddling pants, my feet were really cold until the sun came up but I was warm otherwise and I was dry.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote