Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Anybody has Native Propel kayaks?

Any opinions on this brand of kayak

Native propel 13.
http://nativewatercraft.com/propel-drive/

It seems the drive has less part to go wrong. All sealed as well.
You can back the kayak with it!

Many other features on the new version of the kayak as well.

http://nativewatercraft.com/product/slayer-propel-13/
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
tstephens3232

I've spent many a sleepless nights debating between the slayer propel or the Hobie PA. I thought the slayer propel 10 was going to be the final decision because my home launch involves a steep climb on the return, and it dresses out at 70ish lbs.
I agree with all of your pro's but the reverse aspect of the slayer propel is the real game changer. Fishing kelp lines, wharf structures, break waters and being able to hold your offset hands free seems ideal. My only reason for considering the Hobie PA is that thing is a beast and is SO proven. When you're about to drop $2500 on anything you should be eliminating risk. So I'm still torn, but when the xmas bonus comes in, I'll be the owner of one of them.

Good Luck and let me know if you end up getting one. Also the OEX guys will let you try one out for $50 and you can use that towards your purchase.
tstephens3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstephens3232 View Post
I've spent many a sleepless nights debating between the slayer propel or the Hobie PA. I thought the slayer propel 10 was going to be the final decision because my home launch involves a steep climb on the return, and it dresses out at 70ish lbs.
I agree with allof your pro's but the reverse aspect of the slayer propel is the real game changer. Fishing kelp lines, wharf structures, break waters and being able to hold your offset hands free seems ideal. My only reason for considering the Hobie PA is that thing is a beast and is SO proven. When you're about to drop $2500 on anything you should be eliminating risk. So I'm still torn, but when the xmas bonus comes in, I'll be the owner of one of them.

Good Luck and let me know if you end up getting one. Also the OEX guys will let you try one out for $50 and you can use that towards your purchase.

Well I still have not used my newly purchased 2013 Hobie Outback. However, since I learned about another option to Hobie with "pedal" drive, I am starting to look into it.

Two things bother me most about Hobie.
1) The monopoly they have in the market, thus no one can sell less than they want. Anything with a label Hobie on it seems way overpriced.
2) There are too many parts to the expensive Mirage Drive. Chances of failure are higher. Replacement parts are not cheap.

As to the plus side of the “Propel” drive; and if you watch the maintenance video of the unit, it seems very basic.
There is one shaft with one gear at each end. All sealed. No cables, cams, etc.

Pros---for Native Slayer Propel 13
The reverse capability is game changer for sure,
The drive unit lifts and a pivot for beach landing, no leash is needed.
The rudder does not have to be lifted for beach landing,
The kayak is very stable,
Lots of pre-mounted rails for accessories, useful features,
One flush-mount rod holder tube,
Nice, easily adjustable seat,
Free shipping is included, thus if I buy it from outside of California, I save about $260.00.
[However, that is bit risky, if there is any damage on route.]

Cons---
Front hatch cover is extra at $90.00,
Specialty cart is $200.00,
Did not see paddle is included at the $2,600.00 price,
The drive unit is locked-in. What happens when it gets shallow suddenly? It would pivot, if not locked-in.
Need to get more information about the above,
Rating of the supplied rudder is not good. There is an upgrade option.

I know I am starting to sound like I am a sales rep for the Native, but I have no affiliation to anybody.

Just thinking out loud. Per say.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
anchovie

I've heard that the prop collects kelp and eel grass but have not tried this kayak myself.
anchovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #5
Dave Legacy

I'd be doing the same if I were in your shoes and that's why I'm going to suggest you just enjoy your new Outback! You used one, you liked it, you brought back from the dead every single outback posted for sale over the last year, and you bought one. I feel the same way about the Hobie as you do, but one of the benefits is that there's an abundance of resources/support locally to service or repair your Hobie. This is coming from a place of friendship; Known you quite a long time on another forum and hate to see you drive yourself mad!

I have kinda wondered if the Native Propel drive is easier on the knees?
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
taggermike

Like with any kayak you should test drive every one youre interested in.
One negative ive heard about the propel is since the pedals make a full circle there is a point when the pedal, and your foot, is higher than your hips. So your legs are actually angled up. I believe native has fixed this by raising the seat and shortening the length of the cranks.
Hobie has a great rep here on the west coast. But Native isn't a new company and has been big on the east n gulf for a long time. I've been on Hobies but not a propel but the smooth circular motion of the propel does look easier than the reciprocating action of the mirage drive.

I remember when Hobie's mirage drive was the new thing and the wide spread distrust, scepticism, and even hostility that "real" paddle yakkers showed. New things ate worth trying. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #7
Mahigeer

Thank you all for the input. In particular, Dave.

I am visiting Andy next week with my Outback for review and such.

If he has a Propel drive, I would like to test drive it.

OEX Sunset is listed as the only dealer in the entire west coast if I am not mistaken.

I read the same information about the shortening the legs on the propel to help the alignment issue.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
acorad

I've heard you can pop the mirage drive out and turn it around so you can peddle in reverse. Probably steering is a little wonky with the rudder now on the "bow" of the kayak, not sure how it works with the Propel.

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

OEX Mission Bay is a Native dealer as well, yes the pedal cranks have been shortened and seat raised.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
OEX Mission Bay is a Native dealer as well, yes the pedal cranks have been shortened and seat raised.
Do you have any Slayer Propel kayaks in stock for demo??

I would like to try one next week.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Yes, just give me a call prior to coming in, so I can make sure it is available for you 562-592-0800
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Yes, just give me a call prior to coming in, so I can make sure it is available for you 562-592-0800
Thank you.

Will do as instructed.

Which day is better, Tue-Friday?
Old 11-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
tstephens3232

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchovie View Post
I've heard that the prop collects kelp and eel grass but have not tried this kayak myself.
This is my biggest concern. Wish someone knew for sure?
Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #14
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstephens3232 View Post
This is my biggest concern. Wish someone knew for sure?
One owner says to put a plastic washer with holes between the prop blade and the shaft.

It reduces the gap and collection of sea weeds.

Given the snagging of the tackle problem in the middle of the kelp forest, I rather fish on the outside of the kelp anyways.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #15
Bob Benner
Junior

I originally bought a Slayer Propel 10 when I first got into Kayak fishing. Two weeks later I sold it and bought a Hobie Outback. The Slayer tracked really bad, the Propel drive started making a really bad creaking sound after about a week. The Propel drive is a eel grass magnet! Fishing Mission Bay I was clearing my prop every 5-10 minutes. The Propel drive picks up every single strand of loose grass you come across. Also, it feels like you are constantly riding a bicycle up hill with the Propel drive, legs would start burning after about 30-45 minutes. I have been absolutely pleased with my Outback. My decision to sell the Propel was the right choice for me. One more thing, the Outback also feels much more solidly made then the Slayers.
Bob Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #16
Mahigeer

One of the benefit of this site is the experience of the members.

Thank you all for the inputs.

For now I will stay with my Outback.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #17
Toromike
Junior

Yes, I had the Native Mariner 12. They are very nice Kayaks, and yes the prop drive does collect eel grass and other floating objects. I felt it was hard to peddle the kayak. Another issue they have is the rudder is not retractable and could get damaged in transport. But other than that they are great. I eventually sold mine about a year ago and got a Hobie Pro Angler.
Toromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #18
tstephens3232

The deal was too good... I bought the Slayer Propel 13 on Cyber Monday for $1800 all tax and shipping included. At $800 discount I figured if it's that bad I should be able to get my money back or something close to it. I know they have corrected a lot of the issues especially in the comfort department but the eel grass and kelp will like be a issue (hopefully not a big one). For half the prcie of a PA I had to give it a try.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #19
steve999

When I test drove the slayer propel my biggest dislike was the rudder was too small. Steering in reverse is difficult. There is an aftermarket rudder that's bigger, but its still shallow and wide, sort of like dragging a hockey stick. Didn't seem that good. Sure wish they'd fix that. Then it would be a great boat.
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #20
nacho66

I have a PA and bought the Slayer 13 for my wife from the Guys at OEX last year. Wife loves it, I upgraded my mirage drive just to attempt to keep up with her. We took them up to the Sierra's this past October. Slayer is much lighter than my PA, and more playable (Keep it out of the sun when not in use). I like the rail system which makes it easy to rod holders and such. I got it for her to have the best of both worlds when she wasn't going out with me. I have yet to get in it. She likes it that much.
nacho66 is offline   Reply With Quote