Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
blitzburgh

Neport Taco Report - 5/25/14

Got to the CGS at 6:20, met a couple of yakers but didn’t get names, sorry, nice to meet you guys. On the water by 6:45. Conditions were great, flat calm with just enough current for nice drifts. Water was pretty clean although I don’t remember what the temp was. Air temp was nice and mild. I only saw one other guy out there the whole morning in the distance.
The first goal was some rockies for tacos and after I wanted to pound some sand for the flat kind. Made a few Macs out in front and then got to the spot around 7:30. I usually drop two rigs when the conditions are right but today I had serious Charlie-Foxtrot of a tangle. Luckily it was on my last drop. Pic doesn't do the tangle justice
>>
> >
>>
Had my limit of some Reds and a couple kicker Coppers at 8:45. I headed over to the stretch between Balboa and the entrance. Made a few drifts por nada and called it a morning at 10:30. At home, cleaned up and made it to a friend’s pool party by 1pm. I effing’ love So Cal

>>
Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Like a boss!! Two weeks ago I met up with Limits and his friend and his friend got three dinks and we just got Tom cod and sand dabs.

Mind if I join you next time? Did you just use squid on a double loop dropper? I'm thinking I should pick up anchovies at the barge next time.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbaugh4liberty View Post
Mind if I join you next time? Did you just use squid on a double loop dropper? I'm thinking I should pick up anchovies at the barge next time.
All on the fresh dead squid. I'm not sure how much the live chovies cost but the squid usually works fine for me. You will probably burn through a lot of chovies given how fragile they are. When squid doesn't work, i switch to jigs. I'll PM you the next time I hit it.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
momo fish

Where you getting fresh dead squid from? Pm me when you head. Looking to fish there as well for first time
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

Bass Pro now carries the good squid
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
All on the fresh dead squid. I'm not sure how much the live chovies cost but the squid usually works fine for me. You will probably burn through a lot of chovies given how fragile they are. When squid doesn't work, i switch to jigs. I'll PM you the next time I hit it.
Good to go, thanks blitz burgh.

I used squid on bucktails last time. I buy squid from Hmart. I figure if it's sold for food, it's gotta be good quality! And it's only about $2 a pound.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
momo fish

I'm trying to figure out a good place to buy squid in bulk as that is with me every trip. Since no squid down here in water need to find a good source. 4 bucks a bag is getting expensive. And 6 bucks for the 22nd street fancy squid is to fancy for my taste. Any tips besides hitting the Asian market?
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Sorry, I should have said fresh frozen . I get it from 99 Ranch Market. The Quality Pak brand is $5.99 for a 2.2lb pack. It usually last me 2 trips.