Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
Mike K.

Malibu Kayak's custom bait tank experience

After a loooooooong wait, finally got my drop-in-the-back-hatch custom bait tank for the x-factor. Got the first on home and found a bunch of tiny pin holes around the seam where it sits on the hatch lip. (1st thing th look for :? . Got a second one and it seemed o.k. but, no, it had a gap on the inside around where the plumbing fittings go through that was not "welded" up...didn't feel like a another long trip back to the shop so I gooped it in. Set up the battery and a timer switch and off to L.J. I went! Flipped the switch and only got a hum. Thought about it a second and suck started the water flow and all was well. (2nd thing to look for...keep a 12' length of tube attached to the spigot inside the tank so you can do this on the water. They don't supply this with the boat, I had to ask for it.) Made bait and they were HAPPY...put 8-10 spanish macs in it without one belly up with the timer switch turning on/of every couple minutes. Put the hatch cover in the top of the bait tank and made the paddle out. (3rd thing to look for...you'll have to do some carpentry on the inside lip of the tank to get the hatch to go on. Even then it is not a tight seal by any means...just keeps the bait from hopping out.) All seemed fine BUT WAIT>>>BOAT FILLING UP WITH WATER!!! Used the mini handheld pump and pumped out the hull...if you don't have one of these you should...it can be a life saver. As I listened closely, heard the trinkle of water. Looked back at the tank and noticed water spilling over the top and down along the sides of the tank and entering the yak where the tank fits into the hatch. Apparently, even with the weight of the full tank, the foam gasket they apply is not a seal. The outlet tube swivels up and down. If the angle is set too high, the tank overflows. Problem is, the angle has to be up to clear the side of the boat. At this angle the water will stay below overflow but not much...a decent rock and roll will still send water over the sides. (4th thing to watch for...angle of outlet tube.) If Malibu is listening...maybe a good idea is to make the tank 2-3" taller or making a dip in the side of the yak to accomodate the tube. Long story short, tank looks cool set in hatch, tank keeps fish happy, timer switch very nice, watch outlet tube angle and water level, keep a pump handy, and maybe wait for new and improved version.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
madscientist

I've had some of the same problems with my extreme drop in tank. In particular, water comes in between the gasket around the hatch. I don't have the exhaust tube problem, but once I had it tucked upwards and also almost flooded the yak from water spilling out of the tank. Nothing like opening your center hatch and seeing 3" of water inside :shock: .
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
Dean Machine

Glad someone finally posted on this subject. Apparently these are common problems because I too have experienced them with my xtremes' "custom" bait tank with the exception of the outlet tube angle problem. Where did you guys get the gasket for the tank? I didn't get one but I have been rolling some Ideas over in my head. One of them being to use some of that squishy rubber foam like they use for lining toolbox drawers and cutting a gasket out of that or something similar and installing a strap on each side of the tank to hold it down tight. It would make a surf launch with the tank much more sane than risking filling the hull with water due to the tank falling out if I roll it. I still like my bait tank because it saves me alot of deck space but I still have to work out these kinks. If anyone has any ingenious ideas please post them. I would be glad to hear. Just don't laugh at me because I thought this damn tank was going to be better than it is!
Dean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
bdkirby

Send a message via AIM to bdkirby Send a message via Yahoo to bdkirby
bait tank

I to have this same tank but do not have any of these problems. I have the foam gasket but it was cut and fitted closer to the inner recess on the tank. On the inlet end of the pump I put a small piece of hoisery between the inlet tube and the actual pump fitting to filter out any kelp or debris. Additionally I have added two small eyelets on either side of the tank and strap it down with a bungee when navigating the surf or if water conditions become suspiciously turbulant. The 12" suck start tube makes a world of difference as opposed to a shorter one that is difficult to operate from the "captains chair." One thing that bothers me is the leaky thru-tank fittings on the outlet of the pump and the poor connection on the perko thru-hull electrical connector. Another problem I had is my atwood aerator switch going bonkers about one month after I had it installed. The timer just stopped working and at $40-a-pop that's fairly unsatifactory. Just yesterday a terminal snapped off my battery, but that is clearly operator fault. (note to self: Disconnect battery during transport)
Old 09-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Jimm H

For the Extreme baittank

Mine was one of the early models, and I put 4 exhaust ports (3/4") in it with tubing to flow the water out over the sides. I also added 4 flairlead cleats on the deck of the boat, and 4 more on the baittank top so I could tie it down tight.

For gasket material, I used high density water tight foam window gasket material like they sell at West Marine. All this really cut down on the water leaking from the baittank.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #6
Kenny

X-Factor Bait Tank...

I used a 3/8" high density foam window gasket between the tank and the hatch but attached to the tank...I also secured the tank with 2 brass 1/4" threaded inserts that screw into the hatch frame and than I drilled 2 holes in the tank to secure the tank to the frame with 1/4" Stainless machine screws...You can get these things at Lowes where they have all the little drawers with screws and nuts...Works great and not a drop of water in the inside when I rolled it in the surf one day....Kenny
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
Jimm H

There is a difference in Stainless Steel

Kenny: Good diesign, from what you describe. Just be aware that the Stainless Steel they sell at Lowes and Home Depot is not marine standard, and it will rust.

Look for type 18-8 or 316 stainelss steel. West Marine/Boat U.S., or Marshall's hardware (off Miramar Road) sell it in San Diego. You will see a difference in one or two ocean trips.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
Kenny

Jimmy H

Haven't had any problems yet but thanks for the advice... I have had it like this for 6 months now and take it off after each trip which is usually weekly...Don't get down to SD much I live up around Torrance...We usually fish around Cabrillo and Cherry Beach...If you ever come up this way come and fish with us...You can find me at the Baytubers.com website...Kenny
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
Dean Machine

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will get some of that window foam. Sounds like the right type to seal out the water.
Dean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote