Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
'Cuda

chest waders

I want to stay warm and dry this winter.....any tips?
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Definately get the breathable waders... Chest waders are nice, they keep you nice and dry when you are wading in baja style surf trying to launch.

I use these,

Waders click here

I have also seen some nice breathable chest waders at spormart for around $100.

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
mossback

I have had the neoprene style hodgman's for about 15 years - used to use them in my float tube - used them in my yak for a year. paid $40 at sportmart as well.

They work well for their purposes, keeping me warm and dry but sometimes too warm - neoprene will keep you warmer than the breathable but sometimes warmer than you would like when the sun comes out. I wear board shorts under so if I get hot I will take the waders off and stick em in the hatch. There are trade offs between the two like most things.
mossback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
esdees
The Good Clone

Watch for sales at Sports Authority. I got my breathable waders there on sale for about $60 after taxes. I like waders because you can wear whatever you want underneath.

-Patrick
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
Ryan The Sealion

I wore waders all last winter until...everyone told me they'll fill up with water, suction cup to ur body and sink you like a rock if you fall in...

I jumped off a little early once in big surf and my waders indeed filled up and I was struggling to get to the beach from waist deep water :shock: That was the last time I wore waders... but they do keep ya nice and dry...I've been meaning to jump in my pool with them on and see if I can get out of them..

Anyone ever fall off their yak with waders on in deep water...?
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

How is that possible? It may restrict your movement since you have to move more weight, but the water should be bouyant in water....

think about it this way, take a gallon of water (in a milk container). Dunk it in a pool of water and hold it under the surface... it's not going to sink unless the contents inside are heavier than the water outside (ie. sand, concrete). It may be harder to move around since you have to move a container that is heavier now than with nothing in it, but it shouldn't sink you like an anchor...

(just because I said "heavier" does not mean it will sink. Since the contents on the inside weighs just as much as the contents on the outside, it will not sink)

Anyone else follow me here?

Now as for the suction of getting them off... That is true but if you have a knife handy, just make a cut along the bottom of the leg. That should allow you to pull water in to make up for the space your leg had displaced.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
lamb

I thought we were not going to go into lame ass debate about drowning in waders! :lol:

I wear DryPants – water proof and breathable. Lil pricey, but they keep me dry and warm.

NRS - Kokatat Swift Dry Pants

But consider I’m the guy that most of the time has a backup GPS with me on the water… :lol: Kind of accidentally (my fish finder has GPS but I don’t like it), still true.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
I thought we were not going to go into lame ass debate about drowning in waders!
Sorry, I missed that memo... Too busy doing my TPS reports the wrong way....
Old 12-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #9
madscientist

Waders will not make you sink (neutral buoyancy), but they will weigh you down as you try to climb back in. It's a risk I find worth taking for the warmth and otherwise waterproofness. If you are worried, wear a chest strap and pfd.

Now can we discuss the ethics of killing calicos?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
rippin lips

Send a message via AIM to rippin lips
it's been tried, don't think it could happen...

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/killerwader.shtml
Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #11
rtf

I FOUND A PAIR OF CHEAPO CHEST WADERS AT BIG 5. THEY COST 10 BUCKS... I WAS SKEPTICAL AT FIRST BUT THEY WORK WELL. AS FAR AS DROWNING IN THEM.... AREN'T WE ALL WEARING PFD'S?
rtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
yakinitup
Oregunder

Quote:
It's been tried, don't think it could happen...

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/killerwader.shtml
Great info!!
yakinitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #13
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Now can we discuss the ethics of killing calicos?
Sorry Brad, next on the docket is taking pup vs breeder sharks, followed by quantity of pelagic species taken home, then the calico debate.... Didn't you get that memo?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #14
madscientist

Must have missed it. :lol:

BTW, a friend of mine talked to a diver who thinks he saw a big shark near the kelp. *

I hate winter.

* this is obviously fake
Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
Ryan The Sealion

glad to hear thats not true!! I will be out in waders 2moro
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #16
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

It must be winter.

Waders rock.

There are lots of big sharks out there. The last 2 trips I have seen big mako's finning.*

*this is not fake, just ask T man

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #17
way north

Hey Guys:

Just an out of town lurker.As you can see by my one posting. I keep an eye on the sight for when I visit my brother in Carlsbad. Every time I am down we try the LJ thing…so far no luck…but we keep trying.

Thought I would chime in on the wader thing. I have been Steelhead and Salmon fishing for many years in the north coastal rivers, and am no stranger to waders. In the early day’s wader were made of rubber or vinyl type of material. Every year someone would slip into the river, with this type waders, and drown. Most people wore a wading belt to prevent the waders from filling with water and dragging them under.
Everyone was aware of the damager, but like seat belts,
some refused to hassle with the wading belt and paid the price.

Then came along neoprene waders. They Float! And with a wading belt float well.
Now we have the Breathables…..which unfortunately have the same floating characteristics of the old vinyl wader.

I have been surfing all my life and am very comfortable in the surf, but I would not be caught in the surf, on a kayak, in over head water, in waders. Neoprene or breathables. Once you go in ,and fill up with water, the surge will pull you under. The weight of the water, in your now water parachute, will hold you down.
And if you think you can get them off in time you are only fooling yourself.

Myself…..when I am down there I wear a wetsuit. If you have to wear waders wear the neoprene type with a belt. Get the 2mil. And if you still have to use the breathable….absolutely positively Don’t forget a tight wading belt.
If you find yourself in overhead water, with surf, in breathable wader with no belt, beleive me you are in big trouble.

Theres my 2 cents…..Be safe and see you out there next spring.
way north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #18
madscientist

Keep in mind that the surf here usually breaks in about 6-18inches of water.

If you flip in open water, you'll have your pfd and the yak for flotation until you get yourself sorted out. As long as you don't panic, filled waders would not be an incorrectable problem. I would never surf in waders and I add a dry top that seals around the waist if the surf is big.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I use a life vest (not a typical pfd) that is used for wake boarding. Not the most bouyant of vests but seals real tight around the top of the waders. But to comment on one aspect of the post.... With breathable waders, rolling them down from top to bottom is easier to do when in water than pulling them down, especially with the suction created when filled with water.... I too grew up in the NW fishing rivers and streams with hip waders, neoprene and breathable chest waders... I know what you mean, but it is different here, like Brad said...
Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 PM   #20
scwafish

I wear wader for a living and breathables are the only way to go. Add fleece if its super cold or vice versa. Cabelas Dry Plus Premiums are THE way to go. Tried all the rest, they are terrific. Extemely comfy, and very durable. Wear the wading belt that comes with them, and a PFD and you will be fine...BTDT.
scwafish is offline   Reply With Quote