Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2005, 07:52 AM   #1
tattuna

Quality paddle?

I'm looking to upgrade my stock paddle for something a little better. Any suggestions on brands or models? I've heard good things about the Onno paddles, but I've been calling there for a week and they just have a machine saying that they're really busy. I paddle an Extreme, and I'm about 6'2" and 200 lbs.---if that even matters. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

Charles
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #2
Jimm H

ONO

Ultra-lightweight. They manufacture in San Diego, but they're hard to contact.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
tattuna

Is that Onno? Or is there a company called Ultra-light weight?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
PescadorPete

Patrick (the ONNO man) is hard to get a hold of. Then one day you make contact. Try email, too. Carlsbad Paddlesport did have some of his paddles in stock. You might call them. I have the Carbon Signature Full Tour. Its great.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
Jimm H

I guess I forgot an N

Their web page:
http://eteamz.active.com/paddleshop/news/

I've got a one piece Mid-Tour, 240cm. (I'm 6-4/225) and it is extremely light with very little flex when paddling.

You might check to see if Werner has a similar All-Composite paddle now, also. Most other brands offer heavier, mixed material paddles in the same price range as the Onno.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
C-level

Oh no to the Onnos

I personally have broken 2 ONNOs and have given up after many tries to get my last carbon paddle fixed. I can no longer recommend them to anyone. I have been using for the last 8 month and I am very happy with the new redesigned Accent full Carbon fiber paddle, it is a bit heavier than the ONNO, but it is built nearly proof with extra layers of carbon fiber in the spots that see the most stress. My paddle flew out of my truck last weekend while turning a corner and I literally can't even find a scratch on it. They are also made in various fiberglass combinations that are a bit heavier, but also cheaper. The full carbon fiber sells for $280 at the San Diego Sailing Center.
Todd

"Blessings upon all that hate contention, and love quietness, and virtue, and Angling." - Izaak Walton
C-level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Lou Dog
Junior

Look at Voyageur paddles too, they're light weight, and very strong, I like the Bering Carbon, but the fiberglass models are nothing to overlook. Think about how often you will actually use it, you don't need a top of the line anything, if this is something you're going to do 10 times a year.
Another one to check out of course is the Tasman, either fiberglass or carbon.
I don't know the spec's on an extreme but a guy your size could use the 240cm. I tried my friend Ariel's 240cm and I felt it gave me more push.
I use a 220cm right now but next year I'll probably switch to a 230.
Good luck to you Tattuna, and tight lines, Lou Dog 8)
Old 08-23-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
tattuna

Thanks for the info guys! I think this is enough to base my decision on. I fish from the yak at least 2 days a week year round, usually alone. I don't know anyone with a high quality paddle, so this helps alot. Thanx again!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
PEMEX

Check out rough stuff paddles. The owner showed me a video at a trade show of some guy chopping one side a woden crate in half with it. It cut the wood,and barely scratched the paddle. You will die before it does. They are as heavy as the onos.
PEMEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:26 AM   #10
GBF

Check out the Werner Camano. I love mine!!

GBF
Old 08-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
Jimm H

todd...

How did you break TWO paddles?

I had originally bot mine from SD Sailing Center. Onno direct is VERY difficult to reach. I am also glad to see that other brands are offering a full composite paddle like the Onno. Competition is always good for us consumers.

My "backup paddle is an aluminum shaft Cannon Carbon I got from Allen's around $100. It has been very durable and use it whenever I travel (two piece). You definately feel the difference in weight.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:12 PM   #12
Corey

Charles,

I use the Werner San Juan Carbon in the 240 cm size, which is super lightweight and has full-size touring blades - similar to the Onno Full Tour. I couldn't be happier with it. They also make the San Juan in fiberglass, which is cheaper and still really light. Hope this helps,

Corey
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote