Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
slobslayer

decisions decisions

So I'm pretty new to kayak fishing but have fished since I was a kid. I recently got a cobra fish n dive and I really like it because I can carry everything, be super stable and get a great workout because it paddles like a barge. I have no electronics on it as of now and am looking to add either a FF or bait tank. I'm on a very tight budget due to no job and being in my internship for paramedic school. For those of you guys who have these things which would you add first and why. Also maybe some recommendations?
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
jorluivil

It depends on what you're fishing for and your fishing style. Are you heavy on lures or do you prefer live bait? I would suggest you make a bait tube and get the fish finder first, save some cash and get or make a bigger and better bait tank later.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
kobra

George is correct. Fish finder would be the first thing I would add. Doesn't really matter what style of fishing you do or live bait versus artificial. Finding structure, bait, or even fish is the number 1 priority.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

In my humble opinion....

......i would disagree with getting the ff first, just due to my own experiences. First off, the main reason for a ff is finding bait....ok, well before I got a sonar I never had a problem finding bait. A ff makes it easier but its not hard to find w/o one. Now you have a ff for finding bait but now where you gonna put it? Bait tubes work but you are already paddling a very slow yak and the extra drag will make it worse. Plus if you fish with buddies that have ff's on thier yaks then you know where the structure is. You know what sucks? Paddling up to your buddy every 10 minutes because you are sharing a bait tank. These guys have alot of experience and give great advice, but personally, for my style of fishing a fishfinder is a luxury and a bait tank is a necesity

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
slobslayer

Thanks for all the input guys. I already have a bait tube and tried it one time and all my bait got crammed in one end and died in ten minutes ha, even with only 6 baits. I mostly fish with artificials but I do a lot of halibut fishing and would like to have bait. What do you guys recommend for FF's on low budget. I've had my open for a used one around here but no luck yet. I would also need to buy a bigger battery since I will eventually build a bait tank correct?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
slobslayer

Anybody wanna fish la jolla or drift for halibut this upcoming Friday or Saturday?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
sharjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobslayer View Post
I would also need to buy a bigger battery since I will eventually build a bait tank correct?
I think bait tank pumps run on 6 volts?
sharjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobslayer View Post
What do you guys recommend for FF's on low budget. I've had my open for a used one around here but no luck yet.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=13035

Just saying'....
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote