Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
surfrider
Newby

First Hat Trick!

I had a great day on Sat, despite all the media vans. Made bait in 30 mins, only 1 green back, but over 20 Spanish macs (sea lions seem to like em'). Girlfriend caught a few as well and I put some in her tank. paddled out into the calm seas, and within an hour had a fish on the greenie. Lost it in under a minute. Less than 20 minutes later something big was peeling line out. I tightened up the drag and it took me on a 2 min sleigh ride, before snapping my 40lb leader. Kept heading out, and after paddling for a couple hours landed a bonito. Bled it and within minutes was circled by Mr. Hammerhead. Paddled out a bit further and nothing, so we headed to the North about a mile. Girlfriend picked up a small YT, then shortly after I got one as well, which I released. Close to 10:30 and 230ft water I had a nice YT on. Was bleeding it with one eye to the water watching for an 8' friend to show, when my other line hooked up. Got those in. Shortly after, my girlfriend landed a bonito. We started heading in around noon, when I hooked a 35-40lb. BFT. After 20 min. or so, got it to the surface; Guess I didn't fight with it long enough, because when I stuck s gaff in it's belly it went bat-shit crazy and almost pulled me in! I lost my gaff, and the fish dove to the bottom. I got it reeled back in quickly (gaff still in its side). Got a second gaff from my girlfriend who had no idea how to gaff a fish..... apparently I don't either! As the BFT was just coming around close enough to try again, it kicked hard, snapped 40lb flouro, and swam away!!!! Had a half dozen macs left, so had lines out on the trip in and landed a 3rd respectable YT. Water remained calm and we paddled thru a huge school of porpoises on the way in. GREAT Day, even though I did get upside down coming back thru the surf..... riding a wheelie with 80lbs. of fish in the back!
Attached Images

surfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
2-Stix

I saw you out there making bait like crazy. I had a hard Friday and Saturday. What sibiki were you using? I was suffering a bit.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
govomit

amazing!

You guys are monsters! All this action - unbelievable
We couldn't get bait at the kelp for hours on Sat... Then all of our jack macs got mauled, maimed and left agonizing, not a single honest hookup. We were West of the kelp line the whole time, I saw just one YT picked up by a boat. Schools of big macs (14"+) were chasing sardines or anchovies, and we admired those majestic boils for HOURS. This was the only reward for our fishless journey.
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
surfrider
Newby

Not positive, but believe this is the Sabiki I was using. Had to cut it off when line got tangled while fighting the BFT. I haven't had trouble making bait by the kelp in quite some time, and believe the flashing of the sinker plays the biggest role, since I catch 80% of my macs as the line is dropping! Hook mac, then reel..... Good Luck.
Attached Images

surfrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
2-Stix

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrider View Post
Not positive, but believe this is the Sabiki I was using. Had to cut it off when line got tangled while fighting the BFT. I haven't had trouble making bait by the kelp in quite some time, and believe the flashing of the sinker plays the biggest role, since I catch 80% of my macs as the line is dropping! Hook mac, then reel..... Good Luck.
Thanks. I was really close watching you kill it. I was dying. I run a glow 2oz with treble hook and I agree it helps. Thanks for the info.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote