Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Dark_Knight_9C1

Newport 4/28

Went out to Newport and tried my luck fishing in the mouth of the bay as the tide was rising in the morning. Lots of baitfish around but I couldn't get one on my Sabiki. I later say people on a boat tossing something in the water and were catching quite a few. Any tips on how to make bait? Yes, I am just starting out. I have only caught one fish so far from the kayak.

Thanks in advance
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

should have said hello to the other fellow kayakers out there. do you have a fishfinder? a lot of the bait out there is micro 1-2" things but with a FF, i was able to locate the big school of macs chasing them up. it also helped that i saw a big mac boil and casted into it and got all 6 sabiki hooks stuck in a mac mouth.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
Dark_Knight_9C1

I never made it out into the open water. My wife banned me from going out in the ocean after she read about a great white attacking a kayak. The same article said there is very few shark attacks in Orange County.
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
DanaPT

when it's tough like that I'll hook small pieces of squid to the sibiki or add some "sauce" (pro-cure or uni-butter.) If that still won't work, I'll take the sibiki hook size down a bit and sometimes change the presentation (smaller weight, cast vs. drop, drop to the bottom and jig up, dynamite, etc.)

as for the wife... up your life insurance, buy a VHF radio, wear a vest or simply don't tell her.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Raskal311

I've had a lot more luck removing some of the plastic bait and replacing with some shrimp or squid.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_9C1 View Post
I never made it out into the open water. My wife banned me from going out in the ocean after she read about a great white attacking a kayak. The same article said there is very few shark attacks in Orange County.
I hear ya... my wife gets a little nervous when I take my son out on the open ocean. I guess she minds less if I get eaten by a GWS... since she pays the insurance premiums.

You're more likely to have an encounter with a sea lion than with a shark. I went out there yesterday with my 9-year old, and we were maybe a mile out from the jetty entrance, and got nothing. Just a few hundred yards out farther, a group of kayaks got lots of rockfish. I'd just check the weather and surfline, to pick a day where the swell isn't so bad and go for it.

Just get out there...
Attached Images

FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote