Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
pbb

Hobie non-PA Mirage questions

I'm considering the possibility of switching from my Malibu Stealth 12 to a Hobie Mirage driven model. In addition to wanting my hands free to fish, I find my Stealth, although stable, is very slow.

I want something that I can car-top alone, even after a long day of fishing. (I suppose not using my arms to paddle should help). But I am ruling out the PAs and the Outback based on weight.

So options would be Revo 11, Revo 13, and Sport.

I weigh about 150, but I'm 6'2" with 34 inch inseam (i.e., I have long legs).

From a weight capacity standpoint, it seems like any of the them would be fine.

I know the longer boats should be faster, but with the Mirage Drive, I'm not sure I am worried about that. Should I be?

I would assume the other reason to get a longer boat would be that it will do better out in swells (i.e., LJ). Would it feel like i was in a washing machine to be out at LJ in a Mirage Sport?

What else am I not thinking of that argues for one model or another?
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
troutking

I started out with a Mirage sport (too small). I then upgraded to a PA14 and found that it was a little too big for my style of fishing. I now have a PA12 and think it's perfect for my size and style of fishing. I lost a good amount of money in the process. Test all kayaks your thinking about before making a purchase. I wish I would have!
troutking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Grunt31

I ride an outback I feel it's the more manly one before you cross the line of rolling in a PA. The outback is more wide and feels like you have a lot more room to work in and spread out. I'm 5'10 and 185. I've rode the revo 11 and way to narrow for me to like. Plus if you check out the outback you'll see why the width will make your fishing a much more pleasant and enjoyable experience. And maybe wait a bit and see what the 2015 models have in store. I guess they are gonna be all high speed cool looking and sweet new features. Rumors though
Grunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutking View Post
I started out with a Mirage sport (too small). I then upgraded to a PA14 and found that it was a little too big for my style of fishing. I now have a PA12 and think it's perfect for my size and style of fishing. I lost a good amount of money in the process. Test all kayaks your thinking about before making a purchase. I wish I would have!
thanks for your thoughts. Any details about what was too small about the Sport? Carrying capacity (space or weight)? handling?

I figure on testing them out, but if I test them at Fast Lane, I assume I am limited to the relatively calm waters within Mission Bay. I think the Sport would be fine there, but I am less certain that it would be ok at LJ.

If I test at OEX Oceanside, would that be limited to the Lagoon? Looking at their website, it looks like they rent and then apply the rental price to purchase. Do they do any free demos?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
PescadorPete

I own all three of these. And I'm about your size (6'2", 160#, 34"). The sport is too small, can't extend your legs enough when peddling, doesn't paddle all that well (if you want to paddle it) and I didn't like the vertical sides on it, makes it blow around in the wind. So I sold it.

I use the Revo 11 for lake fishing, the Revo 13 for the ocean. Even thought the cockpit is narrow, you shouldn't have any trouble fitting in either one. The 13 cockpit seems a bit longer so you can get a better stretch on your legs when peddling. Both these kayaks also paddle nicely. And no hull slap. I prefer the 13 in the ocean, especially if it is getting rough out.

The cockpits are small compared to the Outback or PA so you won't have a lot of room to stash stuff above deck. I don't find that much of an issue since I don't take much out with me anyway.

You should test drive them and see what fits.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
DanaPT

I wouldn't rule-out the outback. Super stable. and easy for 1 guy to "tip and lift" onto a rack. It's a 1 person gig, but I'm lifting on a car.

Good luck .
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
pbb

Sounds like I should probably rule out the Sport based on leg room alone.

I guess the weight for cartopping is not the end of the world.

As far as I can tell my 2011-ish Stealth 12 is supposed to be 60lbs (2014 are 55lbs), whereas the 2011 Outback hull was 66lb (70 now) and Revolution 13 hull was 58lb (69 since 2012). (Not sure what accounts for the additional weight since 2012- did they not count the rudder before then)?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I'm the same build as you and had a Revo 13 it was perfect for me. I would load it on top of my 69 bug, until I sold it and got a truck.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Bennyblanco
Ironman

Revo 11 would be perfect for you.
Bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Mongo Johnson

Arrange with OEX Sunset Beach to try both Revo 11 and 13. You can do it on the bay right out the shop door.

I come in at 250 and the Revo 13s still fine stability wise. You're lots less weight. Sounds like your height will push you to the 13 for legs.

Only way to tell is demo ride.

Both are roofable on a car. There's lots of spiffy roof rack to assist a one-man lift....hullavator, roller systems.

I think the Revo 13 is 60 lbs. hull weight for 2012 model. Maybe 69 now.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

That blonde looks way more expensive than the kayak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
StinkyMatt

In the above picture one thing adds stress to your life......

The other takes stress away....

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
steveooo

I think you will be on the right track if you can test drive a couple. Don't count to the Hobie Adventure though.

http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-adventure/

Here is mine

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=12628
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
socal.beach.bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
In the above picture one thing adds stress to your life......

The other takes stress away....

One's Blond and fun to ride, and the other is well....
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote