Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Aaron&Julie

LJ 10/4/13

Another beautiful day on the kayaks fishing off of La Jolla. The ocean was flat, wind was mild, and the temperature was excellent. Surf was up a little, and we got wet, like we typically do, while punching through the waves/whitewater. We launched right before sunrise.

Unfortunately fishing was made difficult to almost impossible due to the floating kelp masses created by the commercial lobsterfishermen, in addition to dodging their buoys and ropes. Whenever they pull up their lobster cages they pull up loads of kelp that was previously attached to the ocean bottom. They take it off of their cages and throw it overboard, which ends up floating all around La Jolla. You can't find clear water for trolling baits. So, eventually, we fished the bottom for a very large sand-dab(Aaron) and one rockfish(Julie), not quite enough for a meal, more like hors d'oeuvres.

The best part of day was the dolphin show. Literally hundreds came through and around us all at once, 2 times during the day. Beautiful day, and the dolphin gave us a show. Time for cleanup now. Here's the best dolphin picture we took (we think mother and calf). It's hard to time some of the better jumps we saw.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Zfish03

Thanks for the report!
Personally, I think the commercial lobster fishing is getting ridiculous... I get that people need to make a "living" but it seems like there is a thousand more traps each year along our beautiful coast. Anywhoo, off my hippie soap box
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
LawDog

Seems the dolphins have been making regular visits almost every day there for about the past 2-3 months. Last time I went to lj there was 2 grey whales breeching every 45 minutes or so. Pretty cool to see but wouldn't want to get caught up in that.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
walrus

Absolutely cool picture.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote