Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Aaron&Julie

Labor day fishing

First off, let us express our gratitude to the few who will provide timely reports. We appreciate that. To each their own, but we ALWAYS report success in a timely manner. Sometimes we don't report when we are unsuccessful, as that's LESS important. What happens to us today, may not be what will happen to you, tomorrow.

Labor day fishing. We launched before 5:00AM, we couldn't make any squid, but we managed enough greenies and spanish for the day.

Funny thing, the water was warm when we were making bait, but an hour or so later, cold. We think it had a lot to do with the ripping downhill current, the prediction of rip currents along the coast and a 5+ foot tide change from about 5:00AM rising until 11:00AM or thereabouts. This could have had some effect on our overall success, which was...

One barely legal WSB caught by me, towards the end of the day. Funny thing, a knothead was right next to the fish, as I brought it in. I wasn't expecting it to to hit the deck, but got it in within 3 minutes. Seems the knothead was far too interested in the female Sea Lion next to him to even think about food. Romance was in the air... And, it was actually another (way more legal) WSB, I saw half out of the water, boiling on some bait in the distance that pointed us in the direction of the one I caught. Apparently, the whites went on a little chew.

Anyways, I bounced him on deck, and I decided a just legal WSB wasn't worth keeping as we still have plenty of vacuuum packed from last year and the year before, even though we wanted fresh fish to eat last night. It wasn't to be.

A humorous note and an interesting one.

LOL (to some), on the humorous side, while passing another young yakker, I inquired about his luck, he responded, "Nothing, my fish finder is broke". Julie and I had quite the laugh a little later about this response. Nothing against you, if you are reading this and you were the yakker I asked the question to, but now we know why we've had trips of getting skunked these last 8 years of doing this, our fish finder was broke. Oh, wait...we never had a fish finder...except the mental kind. So, when we got skunked it was our brain that kaputted.

Seriously, though, a fish finder is an outstanding device to have, there is no doubt about it. It's just humorous that the new wave of kayak fishermen/women seem like they're lost without them.

Now, on the interesting note. Near the end of the day, out in front the condo, outside of the kelp line, we see something whitish looking, a foot or so, in diameter. Getting close, I say, "Mola-mola", which it is, indeed. But, getting alongside it, I see it is dead. Looking at the tail, I see huge teeth marks, which looked to have been done by a Great White, which apparently didn't like the flavor. I didn't mention it in my recent post where I went solo and caught a 28lb yellow, but that day, on it's very first run, that yellowtail ran right under what I'd call a 12 foot Great White, no kidding. As I was getting towed towards it's dorsal fin about 30 feet in front of me, the fin slowly sank down. For a moment I thought I had the shark hooked as it was that straight a line to where my fish was going, and my fish hadn't even started fighting, yet. Seriously, looking back, I wouldn't be surprised if that Great White had a spectre slice on it's underside. It is the first Great White I'd seen off of "anywhere", after 40 years of ocean fishing. I'd say the one that took a bite out of the tail section of that Mola-mola was probably comparably in size.

Anyways, I'd thought I'd mention this. I'm not trying to put fear into anyone, I think it's just good to know. Josh (darkhorse), had a recent photo of the dorsal fin of one he spotted and photographed. He said he's spotted 4 so far, and I don't know whether he means just this year or since he's been kayak fishing. He goes out there often, so it's for him to tell.

Back to our fishing day. The downhill current was ripping the whole day, the wind was bothersome early (aiding the current) and late (aiding us, towards the launch). The water temp seemed low, but the water was extremely clean. We just couldn't find fish (our mental fish finder was broken). We both got some sun (burned), the dolphins put on incredible shows all during the day. Once, we were completely surrounded by them. The weather was fantastic, except for some wind.

We landed about 3:30PM (10+ hours on the water), a long day, but all in all, a great day, but definitely a LABOR day. The muscles and joints ache all over for both of us, it's hell doing this in your 50s, especially those of us still remaining dedicated to doing the "paddle". Worth it? You bet.

Aaron

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 09-04-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

Great report, Aaron! Keep on doing it the hard way. The Pangueros down at the East Cape have been triangulating for years, and they are some of the best skippers I've had the pleasure of fishing with.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

lol at the kid, but i definatly would not go out looking for WSB in the dark without a FF. riding the kelp and finding bait by birds and boats is one thing during the day but you really need that sonar to locate bait and submerged kelp at night if you cant just bring them to you.

as for the Whites... yes they're out there. the majority stay down low. i had 3 huge marks on my FF in 120-130ft of water. all hanging out together. they dwarfed the marks that we were calling YT by about 5X's. There's always whites and other sharks (blues, makos, soupfin, threshers, tigers, hammers etc) cruising though la jolla and i cant recall a report of an attack.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
dorado50

Congrats on fishing without a sonar on the yak! Kinda like surfing the internet without a computer....,thanks for the report,it surely will help me next time out!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
kareem korn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post

Seriously, though, a fish finder is an outstanding device to have, there is no doubt about it. It's just humorous that the new wave of kayak fishermen/women seem like they're lost without them.

As well as the new offshore fishermen are dependent on GPS.
Just for kicks.... Everyone try navagating with just the compass and use the gps for refrence and see how far your off.

Thanks for the report.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
as for the Whites... yes they're out there. the majority stay down low. i had 3 huge marks on my FF in 120-130ft of water. all hanging out together. they dwarfed the marks that we were calling YT by about 5X's. There's always whites and other sharks (blues, makos, soupfin, threshers, tigers, hammers etc) cruising though la jolla and i cant recall a report of an attack.
There are plenty of good sized sharks to create a FF image that is 5X's the size of even BIG yellowtail, i.e. 7-gill, thresher, mako, blues, etc. And many people do know that Great Whites do exist off of La Jolla.

My point is, this was a Great White, it was off of La Jolla, and there are many people who do not, and should know, they are regulars in that vicinity.

You sound a little like the guy who's willing to jump on the back of a Great White, because it's a puppy dog. Not for me, thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
lowprofile

Quote:
There are plenty of good sized sharks to create a FF image that is 5X's the size of even BIG yellowtail, i.e. 7-gill, thresher, mako, blues, etc. And many people do know that Great Whites do exist off of La Jolla.

My point is, this was a Great White, it was off of La Jolla, and there are many people who do not, and should know, they are regulars in that vicinity.

You sound a little like the guy who's willing to jump on the back of a Great White, because it's a puppy dog. Not for me, thanks.
lol, not on its back but i was about to jump in with a 9ft dusky we ran into at the 181. but i see your point and i wasn't trying to be a smart ass or come off as a douche.

but to throw out some knowledge, a 7 gill wont show up on a FF. due to the face it does not have a swim bladder and isn't very dense to give off a reading. some sharks, like whites will give off a reading though. but not as big as you'd expect.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareem korn View Post
As well as the new offshore fishermen are dependent on GPS.
Just for kicks.... Everyone try navagating with just the compass and use the gps for refrence and see how far your off.

Thanks for the report.
No problem. It's just 2 cents.

BTW, LORAN helped the "Pursuit" out of Redondo find all the good rock cod reefs way before GPS was even being used, back in 1972, when I was "pinheading" as an 11 year old.

As I said, "To each their own". Hell, if you hire Josh as your guide every trip you go on, you will be a STAR, no doubt about it.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
lol, not on its back but i was about to jump in with a 9ft dusky we ran into at the 181. but i see your point and i wasn't trying to be a smart ass or come off as a douche.

but to throw out some knowledge, a 7 gill wont show up on a FF. due to the face it does not have a swim bladder and isn't very dense to give off a reading. some sharks, like whites will give off a reading though. but not as big as you'd expect.
Hey, I didn't know this. Because a 7-gill doesn't have a swim bladder and isn't very dense, it won't show up on a fish finder? Very, very intersesting.

How does this explain squid?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
lowprofile

Quote:
Hey, I didn't know this. Because a 7-gill doesn't have a swim bladder and isn't very dense, it won't show up on a fish finder? Very, very intersesting.

How does this explain squid?
usually you can see the egg sacks as a soft bottom over a hard bottom or sandy bottom. i'm not sure we actually see the squid themselves.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Deamon

I would never want to see the tax man in his own backyard, thank you. Always great to read your opinions and posts Aaron.You've jump started me on the bugging when I've hit some slow times as well. Good job!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I would never want to see the tax man in his own backyard, thank you. Always great to read your opinions and posts Aaron.You've jump started me on the bugging when I've hit some slow times as well. Good job!
Thanks, Deamon, you're a kind thoughtful, man, my man. P.S. I hate the tax man, too
Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #13
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

What about kelp? It's soft and doesn't have a swim bladder?
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriola_killer View Post
What about kelp? It's soft and doesn't have a swim bladder?
lol it has air in it though right? i dont know. look it up.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
usually you can see the egg sacks as a soft bottom over a hard bottom or sandy bottom. i'm not sure we actually see the squid themselves.
Yes you can meter squid, and I'm sure that you can meter the giant 7gill shark that's under you too...!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
YakMedic

First off thanks for the report.

Second, the swim bladder is what creates the tell tale arch seen on a sonar. Ultrasound does not get a return from air so a fish mark shows as an arch due to fish shape and swim bladder. With this thought process you will still see a seven gill shark, it just won't appear as an arch. The same way we see structure on a finder.

Thanks again Aaron and Julie for the timeliness.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
GregAndrew

You guys all seem to need a little refresher course on using your FFs.
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/article/so...to-mark-wisch/
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
GregAndrew

Sorry to threadjack Aaron and Julie. Thanks for the timely report and good read.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
Aaron&Julie

Oh, hell, Greg, you ain't doing that. Good information is good information in our eyes. Besides, our report was one of opening eyes, I think we accomplished that. It's all good. As much as I think I know, I can probably squeeze a little more knowledge in there, so long as it comes from competent sources.
I've been doing the ocean scene for 40+ years, much to learn, but don't tell me my crap, like the female lifeguard making sure of 4WD at the launch. To quote her, "No machinery has EVER been on the La Jollla Shores". My ass. I suppose those 4 foot high, 4 foot wide, 10 foot long mounds of sand that I personally saw being assembled by bulldozers were actually being assembled by sand dozers, a natural phenonomenon found in nature. Personally, I thought she was a c&%$#. I could quote other reasons, but let your own experiences judge her.

Aaron
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
icelogger

Great Trip Report! And great read on FF's.
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote