Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
45user

Islander 1.5 day gear recommendation

So I put deposit on 1.5 day in may. It's my first and will be brining my mini x.
(not sure if that's enough kayak)
Anyways what do you recommend for gears to bring? Not only fishing gears but any comfort item/clothing recommendation would be very much appreciated
Thank you,
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Yeah. Me too. Everyone on this site is so helpful with info. What do you think guys? What should we bring/what can we expect to fish for in May?

Janine
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
PapaDave

The most common fish there is Calico bass and halibut. You may also run into some yellowtail or white seabass.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
45user

So I will be bringing 20-30lb gear for fish would that work? Phenix Psw 760ml with avet sx for 20lb set uo and psw 760m with avet mx for 25-30lb set up. Also with psw 808mh with lexa 300 HSP for another 20lb set up. Will these be sufficient?
Thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
So I will be bringing 20-30lb gear for fish would that work? Phenix Psw 760ml with avet sx for 20lb set uo and psw 760m with avet mx for 25-30lb set up. Also with psw 808mh with lexa 300 HSP for another 20lb set up. Will these be sufficient?
Thanks!

For clothing comfort waders are a real plus, & a Wind breaker or breathable splash jacket. It can get windy and cold out there even in May..Layers underneath or even thermals..

Most of those set up will be fine for your Calico pitching, Rockfish and smaller yellows..You wont want a wet noodle rod to horse in those big uns'..Bring at least one beefier set up like a 7-8' /30-40#+ rod with a conventional reel like a Daiwa 30-40SHA. Good line capacity & can stop almost anything that eats your offerings, while providing the proper retrieve speed and smooth free spools for large surface chucking, live bait applications or fast jigging. Really depends on what your primarily targeting & if your going to venture out or hug the Clemente Island coastline? At almost any point you could hook up to a 36# YT & 51# Halibut or a 134# Thresher..

If your already going in May, please support the C.K.F.S. event that runs during your Mothership charter. Only ten bucks to enter. 100% Payout.

For More Info on C.K.F.S. Event #4:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=16364

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Great tips Wade. I would suggest bring extra food, you will get hungry.
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Drake

Non-fishing related

Deck of card, booze, chargers, booze, extra pillow, booze, sun screen, booze, toiletries, booze,

People don't really fish on these things. They just get drunk playing left-right-center and talk about how nice it its to be away from their wives.

Oh yeah, bring a charger for everything. A power strip is preferred. Bring some stuff to keep on your kayak if you get hungry and the skiff guy is too busy fishing

Y
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
45user

Thank you for the info. I will need to buy me a pair of waders now
And I will be sure to bring heavier rod for the big uns! So excited!!!
Thanks again guys!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
People don't really fish on these things. They just get drunk playing left-right-center and talk about how nice it its to be away from their wives.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
45user

Wader ordered and on its way
So what kind of rigs you use at the mothership trip? Im only used to using Carolina rig, dropper loop and reverse dropper loop. What else do you use?
Thanks for the help!