Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Mission accomplished.....sun up to sundown

I decided to slip down to halbut fish the big bay before the 6 day for casted rain. I launched at shelter island boat launch and put two poles out, one for bait, and one setup with the bounce ball flasher rig, with a purple and black jig, which I caught an angel shark on last year. low tide was going to be around 7am. I started bounce balling west with an outgoing tide,it wasn't long before the first mackerel only one I put it in my bait tube and kept on metering with my graph and bound ballin west.Just shy of the bait receiver I see movement on my bait rod...holy mackerel a full gangon...of junior mac's....greenbacks that is. No luck on the bounce ball rig so I put it away. With all the mackerel I need in my bait tubes I start fishing the bottom with a trap rig three way swivel 5 oz torpedo wt 20lb florocarbon . I am at the bait receiver and I see an aircraft carrier coming up the bay 3/4 of a mile away and I am heading to the Coronado side south of the bay so I cross the channel as fast as I can go. It was a spectacular view. With just a trolling motor with oars it was pretty much fishing all the way out and all the way back. No telling where a big flatty.....will show up. I only got bit on the junior mac twice one being a rake job and one being a 30 in halibut which went ballistic and bounced off the gaff after the hook was in it, tangling my pole into other poles but i was able to free my line up and get a second chance to gaff again,game clip on.... happy inauguration day to ya.....Peace out.
Attached Images

Last edited by MITCHELL; 01-19-2017 at 07:33 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

-------------}

(@- -@)
(----------)
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Harry Hill

nice, I will join you one day as halibut catching fisherman. What is a bouncing ball rig? I see you got your steering fixed. Did you go all aluminum on your brackets? I was supposed to get down there on Wednesday but once again life got in the way of going fishing.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Nice fish!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
onetriphudson

Smart thinking man, nice job on the halibut. What's the tuna trolling rod doing on your boat?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
kirkdavis

I always enjoy halibut stories. My first keeper was on a cattle boat many years ago, and it went nutso when I tried to get the hook out. I didn't need stitches but I bled as much as the halibut. lesson learned....those thing have sharp teeth and are not afraid to use them. I am eager and ready with my halibut whacker when I catch one from my yak.
Thanks for the story.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
nice, I will join you one day as halibut catching fisherman. What is a bouncing ball rig? I see you got your steering fixed. Did you go all aluminum on your brackets? I was supposed to get down there on Wednesday but once again life got in the way of going fishing.
My inverted picture of my trolling motor with added aluminum brace kick proof and a bounce ball rig, you put any leader and jig you want.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post
Smart thinking man, nice job on the halibut. What's the tuna trolling rod doing on your boat?
The Marlin/tuna rod is for bounce ballin it works bitchen and I get to play with it 454 Newell with 85 lb braid
Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Bounce ball rig

Canon ball weight hanger bracket dodger flasher florocarbon leader jig....
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
blitzburgh

Nice! People do not realize just how monstrous those Carriers are. Floating cities...
Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #11
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Yes....

I was outside the channel bouy and ask politely to move over a little more by the security navel boat...ballast point is the most narrow part of the bay.it's a big deal when and aircraft carrier comes up the bay with nuclear weapons aboard. One time in my kayak the helicopter came down on me and help push me towards the rocks it was fun...Gave me a rush with all the wind
Old 01-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #12
Harry Hill

Does any body bounce ball with a paddle kayak, I can see how a peddle would work because you can keep bouncing the ball but when I'm paddling the rod is in the holder. Do I just hang it so the ball is just above the surface and hope it bounces once in awhile?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Congrats on the flatty!

http://navaltoday.com/2016/01/20/uss...esponsibility/
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:04 AM   #14
Aaron&Julie

Nicely done, congrats on your tasty reward.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:32 AM   #15
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Quote:
Does any body bounce ball with a paddle kayak, I can see how a peddle would work because you can keep bouncing the ball but when I'm paddling the rod is in the holder. Do I just hang it so the ball is just above the surface and hope it bounces once in awhile?
Harry I only use the bounce ball when I don't have live bait you drag it across the bottom and it made to a track fish with all the comotion, it put a lot of drag on your kayak I have done it before and it a nice little work out, and you better hope you don't snag the bottom.when I kayak fished the bay I would always check the tide for a big movement of water that's when the clams on the bottom open up and the bass feed and I would go the same direction of the tide and scrape the bottom with a 3in gulp shrimp on one spinning pole with 8lb test and my second pole was a bait caster with braid and florocarbon leader which got a 32 in halibut with a chartreuse twin tail scampi with a red lead head just paddle with the tide and keep both jigs scraping the bottom and you will get a leagal halibut if you put your time in.I would plan my trip going with the tide and turn around when the tide would change to come back fishing both sides of the bay in one trip good luck.I launch at two places tidelands park and shelter island depending on which direction the tide was going

Last edited by MITCHELL; 01-20-2017 at 07:38 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #16
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Harry I only use the bounce ball when I don't have live bait you drag it across the bottom and it made to a track fish with all the comotion, it put a lot of drag on your kayak I have done it before and it a nice little work out, and you better hope you don't snag the bottom.when I kayak fished the bay I would always check the tide for a big movement of water that's when the clams on the bottom open up and the bass feed and I would go the same direction of the tide and scrape the bottom with a 3in gulp shrimp on one spinning pole with 8lb test and my second pole which got a 32 in halibut with a sartruce twin tail scampi with a red lead head just paddle with the tide and keep both jigs scraping the bottom and you will get a leagal halibut if you put your time in.I would plan my trip going with the tide and turn around when the tide would change to come back fishing both sides of the bay in one trip good luck.I launch at two places tidelands park and shelter island depending on which direction the tide was going
Duke, why not live bait? Also, you have a motor on your boat I think so you don't have to paddle while you are bouncing the ball. But I have to paddle to keep going so I can't hold the rod. I think what you are telling me don't paddle but let the tide move you so you are bouncing while the tide moves you, then when the tide changes to let it bring you back? I think you launch from tidelands on an outgoing tide and shelter island when the tide is rising? I wish I lived closer to the bay so I could fish more than twice a month.Thanks for the help with this, you and others are helping me a lot with this, eventually I will put this all together in the right order and start catching the butts
Old 01-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #17
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Thanks.....

For the congrats
Old 01-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #18
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Quote:
Duke, why not live bait? Also, you have a motor on your boat I think so you don't have to paddle while you are bouncing the ball. But I have to paddle to keep going so I can't hold the rod. I think what you are telling me don't paddle but let the tide move you so you are bouncing while the tide moves you, then when the tide changes to let it bring you back? I think you launch from tidelands on an outgoing tide and shelter island when the tide is rising? I wish I lived closer to the bay so I could fish more than twice a month.Thanks for the help with this, you and others are helping me a lot with this, eventually I will put this all together in the right order and start catching the butts
forget about the bounce ball I kayak fish too put both poles in pole holders and use your paddle to work jigs across the bottom when you see a pole getting bit grab it and set the hook
Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #19
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Harry when you

Have clamp poop all over your lap and big fat spotted bay bass spitting clams all over you, you no it's good fishing and don't let your 3in gulp shrimp bait dry up they turn to leather their biodegradable and 3in motor oil color single tail grubs work good to
Old 01-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #20
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've used the bounce ball/dodger with live bait as well as artificials. Peddling on a Hobie makes it easy to get the right speed, paddling would work with a rod holder or if the drift is fast enough. Depending on the weight and depth I need around 2-3 mph speed to bounce it right. Slow drifting might just drag the weight instead of bouncing it but with the right rod flex it could work.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote